News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Iowa 192 to be decommissioned?

Started by DandyDan, June 14, 2013, 01:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DandyDan

This article in the Omaha World Herald implies it will be in the next few years.  Of course, they could make it Business Loop 29.  http://www.omaha.com/article/20130612/NEWS/706129827/1694
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Alps

First of all, it's only the northern part of the route above US 6, so 192 will remain as a route number. Second of all, I'm not familiar with Iowa's practices, but not every state removes a route number just because of city maintenance.

NE2

Quote from: Steve on June 14, 2013, 04:42:35 PM
First of all, it's only the northern part of the route above US 6, so 192 will remain as a route number.
Actually it's the whole thing.
QuoteWhat's more, the city will take over ownership of the South Expressway between I-80 and West Broadway as part of a railroad consolidation agreement for the Interstate reconstruction project, Reeder said. City responsibility for maintenance of that segment of the South Expressway will kick in when the railroad relocation is completed, probably in three to four years, he said.

I don't know if Iowa does the locally-maintained state-signed highway thing.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DandyDan

First of all, it's only the northern part of the route above US 6, so 192 will remain as a route number.

In the article, South Expressway = Iowa 192, at least the segment north of I-80.  There's also a one-way pair north of the expressway, 6th and 7th, that would be removed as well.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Revive 755

Iowa seems to only do the locally-maintained state highway-signed thing for routes that extend beyond a city IIRC.  For example, IA 1 through Iowa City had (has?) at least one city maintained section, but is still signed.  Shorter routes disappear entirely.  Though there are probably some exceptions - prior to being turned over to the county, IA 965 had a city maintained section through North Liberty that was not signed with state route markers.

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on June 14, 2013, 05:10:15 PM
Actually it's the whole thing.
QuoteWhat's more, the city will take over ownership of the South Expressway between I-80 and West Broadway as part of a railroad consolidation agreement for the Interstate reconstruction project, Reeder said. City responsibility for maintenance of that segment of the South Expressway will kick in when the railroad relocation is completed, probably in three to four years, he said.

I don't know if Iowa does the locally-maintained state-signed highway thing.
I missed the "What's more." Heh.

Fredddie

There is a precedent in Iowa of off-interstate business loops not being entirely on state highways.  Both the Ames and Clear Lake I-35 BLs have parts on US Highways while the rest is on city streets.  Iowa 192's route makes sense as Business Loop 29.

Jardine

IDOT is big on turning over state highways to counties and municipalities.  And the further a road is from Des Moines the more they want to get rid of it.

And the piecemeal approach is standard procedure.  Cuts down on opposition.

I think the IDOT would be entirely out of the road business if they could figure out a way to do it.

And don't think for one second you could cut their budget even $1 if they didn't have any pesky and annoying roads to deal with.

Brandon

^^ Mild nitpick for clarity.  Iowa is IowaDOT (even says so on the signs and trucks).  IDOT is Illinois; InDOT is Indiana.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

M86

I'm seeing this more and more.  They did it in Bentonville, AR and Rogers, AR here... State highways 72 and 94, respectively.  Unfortunately, the signage leaves much to be desired.

In Sioux Falls, SD, the city took over most, if not all, state highways within the city limits.  SDDOT kept signage up, but when they turned the 12th Street (SD 42) interchange into a SPUI, they put "TO" with an SD 42 shield at the end of the ramps... Yet SD 42 is signed throughout the city.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.