News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

AL: SR 62 Highway Stub near Guntersville

Started by Brian556, August 26, 2014, 04:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

formulanone

I think it's a highway built towards the Monsanto chemical plant, which closed in the early 1980s. It doesn't seem to go towards anything else, except Guntersville State Park. Interesting...it received its current designation long after the plant closure (as per wiki).

Brian556

It seems very strange that it would have been built just for the plant...especially considering the way the intersection at 227 is set up.

froggie

Wiki's a little off on the timing of the designation.  It was designated by 1995.  Prior to that, AL 62 was used for what is now AL 144 between AL 77 and US 431 south of Gadsden.

But yes, the road itself was built specifically for the plant.  Not sure about why the designation came about...

NE2

If you follow SR-227 east, the through movement becomes CR-400 and CR-843, ending near Dawson. These county roads were built at about the same time, connecting the plant to I-59. I suppose it could have been planned as part of the Atlanta spur of the high-priority corridor on US 72, but sources put that along SR-35.

Quote from: froggie on August 26, 2014, 05:07:47 PM
Wiki's a little off on the timing of the designation.  It was designated by 1995.  Prior to that, AL 62 was used for what is now AL 144 between AL 77 and US 431 south of Gadsden.
If anyone wants to do the thankless task of correcting the articles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_U.S._Roads/Alabama/All-time_list
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

codyg1985

Maybe it was part of a grander plan to provide another crossing of the Tennessee River to bypass the Guntersville/Albertville/Boaz areas, but I haven't seen any evidence anywhere to support that. The whole thing is just...odd.

Shameless plug, but my Northeast Alabama Road Meet in a couple of months will feature this as part of the tour.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.