News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State shapes on highway signs

Started by golden eagle, August 09, 2010, 11:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on October 29, 2010, 10:30:59 AM

IIRC, Iowa has as well.

according to some early 1920s maps, when Iowa was still painting highway shields onto telephone poles they used a state outline with a number on it.  But any shields made of metal and independently mounted were indeed all circles starting in 1926.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Roadsign199qc

And in Canada, Québec has always used cutouts.
Hi!

SidS1045

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 28, 2010, 11:01:22 PM
Quote from: SidS1045 on October 28, 2010, 10:52:59 PM

And for whoever said they had never seen MASS-US, it's on this page:  http://www.maroads.com  The one shown on the page is gone now.

that page has few images, and about 75 links - most of them hardcore devotees of the Cult of 404.  Having clicked through some, I do not feel much desire to click through the rest.

Can you please give me an exact direct link to the MASS-US shield you refer to?  thanks!

The method used to code that page preclues a direct link to the picture of the shield, however the picture is still on the home page, on the right side near the top, to the right of the site proprietor's proposed shield for Massachusetts roads.  (When I said the shield was gone, I meant it's gone in real life...not gone from the page.)

And yes, the site has not been kept up.  I stopped counting after about ten dead links.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Alps

NJ's circle was more intricate early on.  In the 1920's, it in fact used the state outline with a black band across the middle and reverse color numerals in the band, and only after 1929 was the circle introduced.

The Mass. US shield on maroads.com is not an old one by any means - it was an experiment by the MDC sometime within the past 30 years to try to recreate the old style.  The dimensions are all off, and they gave up with two 3's and I believe one other shield somewhere.  One of the 3s was still around EB past the JFK bridge when I was up there through 2006.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.