News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

You Know You're A Roadgeek If...

Started by Michael, June 09, 2009, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tckma

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 22, 2016, 03:38:09 PM
Right but the premise is similar someone who isn't a police officer sending you a speeding ticket in the mail or a toll attendant giving you one because your time stamps showed you went too fast.  Might not technically legal depending the statutory definition in certain states but there are a ton of them where it would be.  It wouldn't be too different than getting a ticket in the mail for a toll violation depending on who is sending it.

In MD, there are no "points" from these tickets, and it doesn't effect your license or insurance.  It's "just" a fine, because they can't prove from the photos who was driving the vehicle.  The only reason to pay it is that they will not allow you to renew your registration if you do.  Not like that's a real concern, given the number of cars I see on the road with expired stickers on the plates.

You can appeal the ticket in court, but that may cause the fine to increase, and for $40, it isn't worth the time off work and the hassle of going to court.  These cameras are strictly revenue generation for the state government.

CobaltYoshi27

You drive on I-86 in Idaho just to take exit 49 which is Rainbow Road.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

1995hoo

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on April 22, 2016, 06:53:27 PM

One might argue you're a Mario Kart geek if you do that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 23, 2016, 12:07:06 PM
Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on April 22, 2016, 06:53:27 PM

One might argue you're a Mario Kart geek if you do that.

I'm both.  :-P
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

1995hoo

Something that occurred to me this morning....your wife has a birthday coming up and, because of the number, you refer to it as a "speed limit birthday."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

broadhurst04

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 23, 2016, 01:12:41 PM
Something that occurred to me this morning....your wife has a birthday coming up and, because of the number, you refer to it as a "speed limit birthday."

I'll have one in July (45).

roadman

Quote from: broadhurst04 on April 24, 2016, 10:06:57 PM

And I'll have one in September (55).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SignGeek101

Quote from: roadman on April 25, 2016, 12:59:11 PM
Quote from: broadhurst04 on April 24, 2016, 10:06:57 PM

And I'll have one in September (55).

20 this year for me (October).

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hm insulators

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

noelbotevera

736 days ago, I turned 10. So I've had two speed limit birthdays compared to...eleven.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Ian

I get to have a speed limit birthday this year too!  :cheers:

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 28, 2016, 05:20:58 PM
736 days ago, I turned 10. So I've had two speed limit birthdays compared to...eleven.

You'll have another one in about 6 months

http://themetricmaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Samsung-A7070093.jpg
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jfs1988

You know your a roadgeek if you take photos of travel information and maps kiosk at rest areas.

People next to me: "Its just a state highway system map?" "You never seen that before?"  :confused:

tckma

You know you're a roadgeek if you frequently submit requests on the Maryland SHA website asking them to correct signage that has errors.

My favorite was a few years ago, during a sign replacement project, when they posted an MD-832 reassurance marker on what is clearly MD-140.  It was up for about three days.  I submitted a signage error request and the wayward reassurance marker was silently replaced that day, without comment.

GCrites

You can be the change America needs

Max Rockatansky

If you spend time down at the local railroad tracks examining for evidence of an old highway crossing that went through town....

roadman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 05, 2016, 10:40:13 PM
If you spend time down at the local railroad tracks examining for evidence of an old highway crossing that went through town....
Depending upon your point of view, that makes you either a roadgeek or a railfan.  A friend of mine researches old railroad/highway crossings, but is not a roadgeek.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman on May 06, 2016, 12:08:51 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 05, 2016, 10:40:13 PM
Depending upon your point of view, that makes you either a roadgeek or a railfan.  A friend of mine researches old railroad/highway crossings, but is not a roadgeek.

Probably a little bit of both.  I spent a good deal of time recently trying to figure out where a California State Highway used to cross through a town and in turn tracks before it was upgraded to an expressway.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 06, 2016, 07:11:02 PM
Probably a little bit of both.  I spent a good deal of time recently trying to figure out where a California State Highway used to cross through a town and in turn tracks before it was upgraded to an expressway.
I'd say I am both, and I'm pretty sure roadman is too. I'm going to tell you something I knew for a long time about a railroad crossing in Medford, New York that only I seem to have paid any attention to; Manor Road used to begin at Jamaica Avenue, and after Horseblock Road it would cross the Main Line of the Long Island Rail Road then end at Long Island Avenue, and become Munsells Road, up until around the early-1970's. Then the grade crossing was replaced with a series of concrete poles sticking out of the pavement on both sides and a Stop sign reading "STOP Railroad Crossing" or something like that. You would've thought they were trying to trick drivers into thinking you could still cross the tracks. By the mid-1980's the segment of that street on the south side of the tracks was a dead end, the north side was piled up with dirt mounds, but there was still some remnants of the railroad crossing that used to exist embedded in the tracks.

kurumi

...if you notice unsigned route numbers or old route numbers on Google Maps and do *not* want them fixed. It's a bit selfish: the "errors" don't impede your navigation, and actually convey more information from your point of view.

... if you pick a long US Route (12, 52, etc.) and just follow it in Google Maps end to end, to see what's interesting.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

formulanone

Quote from: kurumi on May 24, 2016, 02:02:46 AM
...if you notice unsigned route numbers or old route numbers on Google Maps and do *not* want them fixed. It's a bit selfish: the "errors" don't impede your navigation, and actually convey more information from your point of view.

It's only annoying when the Google nav system barks out:

"Turn Right on Orange Blossom Trail US Route 441 US Route 192 Florida State Road 600 Florida State Road 15"
and/or
"Stay on Orange Blossom Trail US Route 441 US Route 192 State Road 600 State Road 15 for 3 miles"

...while you're trying to watch traffic and operate a motor vehicle. I really don't need to hear the secret number, although usually there's only a few places I've encountered it (example above). In that case, I just mute it.

That's a case where perhaps simplicity is best.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on May 24, 2016, 09:11:53 AM
Quote from: kurumi on May 24, 2016, 02:02:46 AM

It's only annoying when the Google nav system barks out:

"Turn Right on Orange Blossom Trail US Route 441 US Route 192 Florida State Road 600 Florida State Road 15"
and/or
"Stay on Orange Blossom Trail US Route 441 US Route 192 State Road 600 State Road 15 for 3 miles"

...while you're trying to watch traffic and operate a motor vehicle. I really don't need to hear the secret number, although usually there's only a few places I've encountered it (example above). In that case, I just mute it.

That's a case where perhaps simplicity is best.

Or if secret numbers splitting off onto their own alignment like FL 15 does through Orlando only to become a County Route briefly before becoming a secret state highway again drives you nuts....not the secrete part, the county route part.

nyratk1

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 24, 2016, 01:11:11 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 06, 2016, 07:11:02 PM
I'd say I am both, and I'm pretty sure roadman is too. I'm going to tell you something I knew for a long time about a railroad crossing in Medford, New York that only I seem to have paid any attention to; Manor Road used to begin at Jamaica Avenue, and after Horseblock Road it would cross the Main Line of the Long Island Rail Road then end at Long Island Avenue, and become Munsells Road, up until around the early-1970's. Then the grade crossing was replaced with a series of concrete poles sticking out of the pavement on both sides and a Stop sign reading "STOP Railroad Crossing" or something like that. You would've thought they were trying to trick drivers into thinking you could still cross the tracks. By the mid-1980's the segment of that street on the south side of the tracks was a dead end, the north side was piled up with dirt mounds, but there was still some remnants of the railroad crossing that used to exist embedded in the tracks.

New reply to an old post but was it me or there was still a 1970s era Town of Brookhaven street sign at the corner of LI Avenue and what was Manor up until 15 years or so ago? Or was it just my dumb memory?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.