News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Sports / Re: BASE-BALL
Last post by triplemultiplex - Today at 11:45:22 AM
Brewers-Mets starting the season a day late due to rain yesterday.  I'll be listening on the radio as I travel for the weekend.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Wisconsin notes
Last post by Molandfreak - Today at 11:43:29 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on Today at 07:56:09 AM
Quote from: Molandfreak on March 28, 2024, 10:04:11 PMWould there be a way to retain the trail alongside the new rail system, or would the ROW required for that be prohibitively expensive?

Maybe? But this isn't going to happen so it's all just a thought experiment.
Please explain how my question was different from any other post made about this subject.
General Highway Talk / Re: Highways on Jeopardy!
Last post by CtrlAltDel - Today at 11:41:47 AM
Here are the answers.

200$
After visiting Michael Jackson's family home in Gary, Ind., enjoy views of this Great Lake off I-94 East as you enter Benton Harbor

400$
Put Kingman in your rear view, cruise I-40 & you'll be in Standin' on the Corner Park in this Arizona city in 3 hours

600$
Columbia is about midway between these 2 same-state Midwest cities that squared off in the I-70 World Series in 1985

800$
Enjoy 1,700 miles of the I-95 system, south from Bangor to this 2-word city whose name comes from Spanish for "mouse's mouth"

1,000$
It's about 2 1/2 hours going west on I-80 from Davenport to this state capital

The 600$ clue was a daily double, answered incorrectly by the contestant.

Sports / Re: Re: 2022 NCAA Tourney brac...
Last post by triplemultiplex - Today at 11:41:27 AM
Auburn torched my other bracket at work yesterday.  Eh, it was somewhat of a long-shot guess anyway.

Still doing okay in this one.
Go Marquette tonight!
Off-Topic / Re: Frustrated visitors sue Na...
Last post by 1995hoo - Today at 11:35:49 AM
Quote from: Big John on Today at 11:06:43 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on Today at 10:46:22 AMSome people oppose eliminating the $1 bill out of concern that a $1 coin is hard to use for tips at a strip club. (Which invariably leads to jokes about using the "coin slot.")
How do they do it in Canada?

I have no idea. Never patronized such an establishment.
Last post by oscar - Today at 11:33:42 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on Today at 09:48:00 AMI really hope you aren't one of those people who pays unwanted large bills (like property taxes or parking/traffic tickets) in just dollar bills or pennies. Those type of people are the worse because all it's harming is the clerks/cashiers who actually handle the money and pay absolutely no role in the decision of either setting your tax rate or receiving the ticket in the first place.

One of my college classmates once paid her tuition in quarters. It was an expensive private university (for her -- I received a lot of financial aid), so there were lots of quarters.

It was all a stunt, to get her face in the student newspaper. The bursar did not voice any objections. I hope most of the quarters (other than a few needed for the photo shoot) never left their paper rolls, so it'd be easier to send them back to the bank.

But trying to pay a big bill with pennies will backfire. IIRC, there's a law providing that nobody has to accept more than 50 pennies in a single transaction. If you're going to be a jerk about it, pay in nickels (five nickels are much heavier than one quarter).
Last post by CtrlAltDel - Today at 11:18:48 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 10:48:04 AMOr we could ditch $10s and $50s and then all of the bills have legitimate reasons for four (or in the case of $5, three) in the same transaction.

What bothers me is that the system is crazy adhoc inconsistent. We have a 25ยข coin, but a 20$ bill, and so on. The euro people, who have everything 1, 2, and 5, I think are on the right track there.
Last post by CtrlAltDel - Today at 11:15:50 AM
Quote from: SP Cook on Today at 10:07:49 AMtriple featherbed union

Quote from: SP Cook on Today at 10:38:19 AMI attempted to couch my statement in a non-judgmental way

I see.

Off-Topic / Re: Changing one letter of a t...
Last post by GaryV - Today at 11:08:51 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 28, 2024, 04:41:17 PMPEW features - The latest advancements in uncomfortable church seating.

Or maybe, something about skunks.
Last post by Big John - Today at 11:06:43 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on Today at 10:46:22 AMSome people oppose eliminating the $1 bill out of concern that a $1 coin is hard to use for tips at a strip club. (Which invariably leads to jokes about using the "coin slot.")
How do they do it in Canada?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.