Has the flashing yellow left turn signal made it to your state?

Started by NJRoadfan, June 17, 2010, 10:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

on_wisconsin

Wisconsin only has two flashing yellows (that I know of): one in Appleton and one in Eau Claire.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Dr Frankenstein

I want to get this right first... This would signal a protected left turn? With through traffic permitted?

mgk920

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 02, 2010, 11:57:07 AM
Wisconsin only has two flashing yellows (that I know of): one in Appleton and one in Eau Claire.

The one in Appleton is at Midway Rd (County 'AP') and Telulah Ave.  It was turned on when the rebuild project on Midway Rd was completed a couple of weeks ago.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.229549,-88.37883&spn=0.015837,0.027595&t=h&z=15

The 'Y' intersection at Plank Rd a couple of blocks to the east is now a roundabout.

I can easily think of a few other intersections in and around Appleton that could make GOOD use of that aspect, too.

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on November 02, 2010, 02:39:13 PM
I want to get this right first... This would signal a protected left turn? With through traffic permitted?

It is the equivalent of a green light with no arrows at all, used on left-turn lanes with separate 'arrow' signals.  It says that 'you may turn left, BUT oncoming traffic has a green light' (NOT a protected turn).

A green arrow means that 'you may turn left - oncoming traffic has a RED light' (a protected turn).

Mike

Tarkus

There's four different possibilities with a FYA signal:

Red and Steady Yellow Arrow: same as always
Green Arrow: Protected Left Turn
Flashing Yellow Arrow: Permitted Left Turn

Through traffic is controlled by separate signals and not affected by the FYA.

Quote from: Bickendan on October 19, 2010, 05:38:00 PM
Gresham has about five sets on Powell alone.

They really are popping up everywhere. :sombrero:  And since I made my earlier post, they've popped up even more places in Washington County.  Just about every signal on Baseline, Cornell and Evergreen (except those with dual left turn lanes) is a FYA now, and I noticed a few on Tualatin-Sherwood Road the other day as well.  I wouldn't be shocked if they outnumbered the old protected phase setups now county-wide.  It's amazing just how fast they've been converting them.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Salem . . . that place is doghouse central.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Mr_Northside

Quote from: mgk920 on November 02, 2010, 03:09:53 PM

It is the equivalent of a green light with no arrows at all, used on left-turn lanes with separate 'arrow' signals.  It says that 'you may turn left, BUT oncoming traffic has a green light' (NOT a protected turn).

A green arrow means that 'you may turn left - oncoming traffic has a RED light' (a protected turn).

Mike

Still happy these aren't in PA.  I still can't believe these things are advocated for.  I know if I came upon one, without reading about them here first (and assuming there is no sign next to the signal about it's operation), I would certainly assume I did NOT have to yield to oncoming traffic.  (Though it's "blinking yellow", so I'd "proceed with caution" of course, so any accident wouldn't be too bad.)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

DRMan

I've seen a couple of recently-installed FYAs on NH 125, at North Rd and (I think maybe) South Rd in Brentwood.

Question:  does any jurisdiction use any kind of signage to explain to non-roadgeeks just what to do here?  I mean, we know what's going on, and a reasonably attentive driver should be able to figure it out.  But, driver training being what it is, a sign saying something like "Yield On Flashing Yellow Arrow" might not be a bad thing.

froggie

mgk920

Quote from: DRMan on November 03, 2010, 07:57:53 PM
I've seen a couple of recently-installed FYAs on NH 125, at North Rd and (I think maybe) South Rd in Brentwood.

Question:  does any jurisdiction use any kind of signage to explain to non-roadgeeks just what to do here?  I mean, we know what's going on, and a reasonably attentive driver should be able to figure it out.  But, driver training being what it is, a sign saying something like "Yield On Flashing Yellow Arrow" might not be a bad thing.

The one here in Appleton has signs explaining the signal aspect.

Mike

DRMan

Quote from: froggie on November 03, 2010, 10:31:51 PM
What MnDOT uses, per their Standard Signs Manual.

Excellent, that's what I would expect everywhere.

No signage here in NH, but that's not a surprise.   :-/

realjd

Texas uses a similar sign but with a picture instead of "flashing yellow", as seen in Google Maps here:
http://goo.gl/UIE8z

froggie

QuoteNo signage here in NH, but that's not a surprise.

I'm pretty sure I saw a sign at the US 4/202/NH 107 example, but I could be wrong on that.

US71

Quote from: realjd on November 04, 2010, 08:34:06 AM
Texas uses a similar sign but with a picture instead of "flashing yellow", as seen in Google Maps here:
http://goo.gl/UIE8z

Arkansas uses the same sign.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MichiganDriver

No signage in Michigan, but since we're used to flashing red for left turns more it's more intuitive for drivers.

andytom

No signs in OR.  But, then, we've had them for 5 years now.  They told us what to do with them on the news and, between that and simply observing others, oregonians have pretty much figured it out.  My problem now is remembering which intersections don't have FYA and stopping at those through the cycle.

--Andy

74/171FAN

I probably should have updated this awhile back but as of now there is still no flashing yellow on Southgate Dr at Duck Pond Dr on campus even though the one on Southgate at Spring Rd and Tech Center Dr has been up for almost a month-and-a-half now.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

rawmustard

Quote from: MichiganDriver on November 04, 2010, 12:08:12 PM
No signage in Michigan, but since we're used to flashing red for left turns more it's more intuitive for drivers.

MDOT published a webpage and brochure explaining the signal back when it was introducing them and has more recently produced a video. (Just a bit of minutia: the video features the intersection where MDOT first installed the FYA, near the State Secondary Complex).

cb6000

Malvern is the next city in Arkansas to have at least one flashing yellow arrow. It can be found on the southbound lane on Main St. (at the Main and Page Ave. intersection). The downtown area is done with the activation of the new signals to replace the old ones.

Revive 755

MoDOT is adding a bunch of flashing yellow arrows to US 50-61-67 around MO 30 this week, per a couple of message boards placed along the road.

JREwing78

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 02, 2010, 11:57:07 AM

Add University Ave in Madison to that list, since this summer and fall's construction work.

algorerhythms

Quote from: Troubleshooter on July 28, 2010, 09:19:44 PM
Indiana doesn't have it yet, because some legislators are afraid of it.

I have kept a running list of who has and who doesn't:

HAS:

AK AL AR AZ CA CO CT DC DE FL GA IA ID IL KS KY LA MD ME MI MN MO MS MT NC NH NJ NM NV NY OR SC TX UT VA VT WA WI WY Territories GU

HAS NOT:

HI IN MA ND NE OH OK PA RI SD TN WV Territories PR VI

Oklahoma may soon move to the "Has" list

Coelacanth

I just discovered that Mn/DOT has a webpage devoted to the flashing yellow.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/trafficeng/signals/flashingyellowarrow.html

This includes a link to a pdf brochure. Not sure who they are distributing the brochure to.

MDOTFanFB

Saw an intersection with these mounted on mast arms in Romulus last week.

US71

Quote from: cb6000 on November 13, 2010, 03:34:43 PM
Malvern is the next city in Arkansas to have at least one flashing yellow arrow. It can be found on the southbound lane on Main St. (at the Main and Page Ave. intersection). The downtown area is done with the activation of the new signals to replace the old ones.

Is this the only intersection with the FYA?  There were also a couple old 4-Ways in the area: have they been replaced now? :(
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jjakucyk

I'm still waiting for Ohio to get onboard with red arrows, let along flashing yellow.  There's a brand new rework of an intersection in an unincorporated area just outside Cincinnati where they repaved the road and installed new signals while changing a single left turn lane to a double.  The new turn signals still use red balls, and there's not even the usual "left turn signal" sign that usually accompanies them.  They are using yellow-bordered backplates though, which is quite a jump from an almost universal lack of backplates in Ohio.  Still, this being mostly a span wire state, that should really be accompanied by a secondary tether across the bottom of the signals, as they get blown around a lot more. 

Also, am I the only one who thinks those cameras on the mast arms like in MDOTFanFB's second picture are just hideous?  Can't they put a light there too?  It just looks so unfinished otherwise. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.