News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Coca Cola Freestyle Machines

Started by roadman65, February 03, 2015, 11:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCrites

Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 18, 2015, 08:25:10 PM

One thing I don't understand is why is there no soda water option on these machines.  Many regular fountains have it.  Perhaps it can be a sub-selection of the water option.  However, one mystery: do restaurants consider soda water as soda or as water?  It doesn't seem very fair to charge a full soda price for soda water, since syrup costs much more than CO2.

In Europe water costs the same as pop -- sparkling or still.

english si

Quote from: GCrites80s on April 07, 2015, 09:11:19 PMIn Europe water costs the same as pop -- sparkling or still.
Not true at all. Mineral Water costs the same as pop, but bottled tap water is dirt cheap. Tap water in British restaurants/pubs is free.

GCrites

On the Continent if you get fast food they charge you for water. I'm not talking about sit-down or pubs.

Pete from Boston

One thing I don't understand is why is there no soda water option on these machines.  Many regular fountains have it.  Perhaps it can be a sub-selection of the water option.  However, one mystery: do restaurants consider soda water as soda or as water?  It doesn't seem very fair to charge a full soda price for soda water, since syrup costs much more than CO2.

I have an ongoing discussion about this with an Indiana native, who claims this option doesn't exist there because nobody would use it.  Seltzer only became reliably available in supermarkets there, she says, in recent years.  Here the button is not 100%, but it is common.  At least one local burrito chain has "SODA" as one of the six or eight displayed offerings, which makes it full price.  At least those guys carry lime wedges.

english si

Quote from: GCrites80s on April 08, 2015, 10:24:04 PMOn the Continent if you get fast food they charge you for water. I'm not talking about sit-down or pubs.
In the UK, they will give you expensive bottled water if you don't specifically say 'tap water' and invoke the  law that means it's a free drink. They will do whatever they can get away with to not give you tap water (unless you are somewhere fancy). Though apparently (while most chain fast food joints have company policy to abide by the tap water convention) only those places that serve alcohol must do it in the UK.

I imagine that if you ask for water (using the special code phrase) in a lot of continental Europe, even at fast food locations, you would get it for free. But if you ask for water not using the code phrase, you won't trigger the free tap water. In France it's more the case than the UK - all restaurants must provide it free (though I guess they mostly serve alcohol anyway - even McDonalds). I found Germany and Portugal also have such a law that all restaurants have to serve free tap water with a code phrase.

Certainly not paying for water is something you have to put effort into in Europe, but it is possible.

Brandon

Quote from: english si on April 08, 2015, 04:54:32 AM
Quote from: GCrites80s on April 07, 2015, 09:11:19 PMIn Europe water costs the same as pop -- sparkling or still.
Not true at all. Mineral Water costs the same as pop, but bottled tap water is dirt cheap. Tap water in British restaurants/pubs is free.

Likewise in the US and Canada.  Some fast food and fast causal restaurants even have smaller cups provided for water next to the pop machine.  Usually if you ask for water in a sit-down restaurant, you'll get free tap water unless you specifically specify "bottled water".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Scott5114

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 09, 2015, 09:45:56 AM

I have an ongoing discussion about this with an Indiana native, who claims this option doesn't exist there because nobody would use it.  Seltzer only became reliably available in supermarkets there, she says, in recent years.  Here the button is not 100%, but it is common.  At least one local burrito chain has "SODA" as one of the six or eight displayed offerings, which makes it full price.  At least those guys carry lime wedges.
In Oklahoma you will sometimes see soda water on taps, sometimes not. Often it is an unlabeled lever next to, say, the Mountain Dew. I have never seen anyone use it for anything, other than perhaps employees checking the carbonation, or bar staff using it as a base for another drink.

When I managed a Burger King, I never had the issue of the price of soda water come up, but if asked I probably would have given it out for free. We had special clear cups we gave people for free water (so we would know if people were getting Coke without paying: we usually didn't notice because be cause we were busy with other things but we did call a few people out on it).

Do people actually drink straight soda water? The taste is far too bitter for me.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 09, 2015, 09:45:56 AM

I've never seen anyone around here ask for plain seltzer water at a restaurant.  It is available at grocers and party stores, usually for mixing with something else (typically alcohol).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NJRoadfan

Seltzer is big in the NYC metro area as its popular with the Jewish population. The local Shop-Rite even has an entire section of shelves stocked with 12 pack cases of 1L bottles of seltzer in various flavors. Sometimes if you hit a good sale, its around 35 cents a 1L bottle. Despite that, I have never encountered a soda fountain that served seltzer, unless it was broken or out of syrup.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 09, 2015, 12:52:21 PM
Do people actually drink straight soda water?

Huh? Seriously? No, all those cases of it at the grocery store are just for show.

Honestly, much of Europe consumes sparkling water more than tap water. I'm thinking especially of Germany, where drinking still water at a restaurant can be considered a demeaning thing.

I enjoy sparkling water at home and occasionally in restaurants. I find that it's the perfect complement to a sweet dessert. I'm also exploring some new flavors that have shown up in the store recently; right now I'm working through a case of coconut-flavored La Croix, which has been even yummier than I anticipated.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 09, 2015, 03:40:58 PM
Seltzer is big in the NYC metro area as its popular with the Jewish population. The local Shop-Rite even has an entire section of shelves stocked with 12 pack cases of 1L bottles of seltzer in various flavors. Sometimes if you hit a good sale, its around 35 cents a 1L bottle. Despite that, I have never encountered a soda fountain that served seltzer, unless it was broken or out of syrup.

I grew up on it in that area.  Made me a much healthier soda drinker as a result (used to drink Sprite, but after getting used to seltzer and lime, Sprite tasted like pure sugar).

When I traveled more regularly to Shop-Rite territory, I would stock up there–1ℓ bottles got as low as 3 for a buck, no deposit.  That's a very rare price in Massachusetts.  I've gotten it once in the past three or four years, on a combo of store and manufacturer promotions.  Typical here is 50¢ plus deposit, sale price.

Seltzer is my preferred compromise between plain (just water) and hypercaloric (sweetened soda).  I just need a little distraction, I guess, and bubbles alone do it for me.

english si

Quote from: kphoger on April 09, 2015, 09:14:31 PMdrinking still water at a restaurant can be considered a demeaning thing.
Certainly in pubs in England, it's considered bad form and cheapskate to order tap water. I can imagine it being the same in Germany.

As such, people not looking to spend much money order a lime and soda - soda water with lime cordial added. It's (significantly - like half the price, if not less) cheaper than soda water mixed with syrup (typically only a choice of Cola, Lemonade and diet versions) that comes through the same nozzle. Note, however that it has (a dash of) flavouring added rather than neat - that's as English people seemingly haven't acquired a taste for soda water (though sparkling water is on sale in supermarkets).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: english si on April 10, 2015, 04:45:28 AM
Quote from: kphoger on April 09, 2015, 09:14:31 PMdrinking still water at a restaurant can be considered a demeaning thing.
Certainly in pubs in England, it's considered bad form and cheapskate to order tap water. I can imagine it being the same in Germany.

I'm OK with this if the person is a strict DD, someone that wants water along with their beer, or if they're ordering it to accompany something else ordered.  I'll definitely see it as bad form if they go into a bar, take a seat, and only order free tap water.

english si

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 10, 2015, 08:13:32 AMI'm OK with this if the person is a strict DD, someone that wants water along with their beer, or if they're ordering it to accompany something else ordered.
So would Brits. The issue is only ordering a pint of tap water and not having anything else.

Designated Drivers, etc would probably have a soda or juice if only getting their drink.

And in restaurants, similar - fine if you have other drinks, looks cheap if that's all you have.

GCrites

Seltzer water is really good for blasting Moe in the face.

kphoger

Quote from: english si on April 10, 2015, 08:32:50 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 10, 2015, 08:13:32 AMI'm OK with this if the person is a strict DD, someone that wants water along with their beer, or if they're ordering it to accompany something else ordered.
So would Brits. The issue is only ordering a pint of tap water and not having anything else.

Designated Drivers, etc would probably have a soda or juice if only getting their drink.

And in restaurants, similar - fine if you have other drinks, looks cheap if that's all you have.

I didn't mean that ordering tap water makes one look like a cheapskate. I meant that tap water is seen as a poor man's drink.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Oops.. Wrong post there, that I quoted. Oh, well, too lazy to fix it.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 09, 2015, 09:14:31 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 09, 2015, 12:52:21 PM
Do people actually drink straight soda water?

Huh? Seriously? No, all those cases of it at the grocery store are just for show.

Honestly, much of Europe consumes sparkling water more than tap water. I'm thinking especially of Germany, where drinking still water at a restaurant can be considered a demeaning thing.

I enjoy sparkling water at home and occasionally in restaurants. I find that it's the perfect complement to a sweet dessert. I'm also exploring some new flavors that have shown up in the store recently; right now I'm working through a case of coconut-flavored La Croix, which has been even yummier than I anticipated.
Like I said, I've never personally seen anyone drinking it straight. I know it can be used as a base for other beverages, though, so I figured that accounted for it being sold in stores.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Pink Jazz

Sorry to bump, but I have noticed that in the past, here in Arizona these machines were the most likely place you would find Pibb Xtra and Pibb Zero.  However, it seems like in the past year or two, Dr. Pepper and Diet Dr. Pepper are now becoming the norm for these machines even in places that didn't have them previously such as local non-chain restaurants.  Has anyone noticed this where they live?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Pink Jazz on October 11, 2017, 07:24:04 PM
Sorry to bump, but I have noticed that in the past, here in Arizona these machines were the most likely place you would find Pibb Xtra and Pibb Zero.  However, it seems like in the past year or two, Dr. Pepper and Diet Dr. Pepper are now becoming the norm for these machines even in places that didn't have them previously such as local non-chain restaurants.  Has anyone noticed this where they live?

NP on the bump man.  This is a legitimate reason to bump a thread!

And I wouldn't know to be honest.  In my area, Coca-Cola has had the contract to make Dr. Pepper, and thus, every Freestyle machine has had it from day 1 of their install.  Now, maybe if somebody in the Cleveland area could comment since Pepsi has the contract there, as I know I saw Pibb in a Freestyle up there when I stopped on a trip several years ago.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 11, 2017, 09:22:01 PM

NP on the bump man.  This is a legitimate reason to bump a thread!

And I wouldn't know to be honest.  In my area, Coca-Cola has had the contract to make Dr. Pepper, and thus, every Freestyle machine has had it from day 1 of their install.  Now, maybe if somebody in the Cleveland area could comment since Pepsi has the contract there, as I know I saw Pibb in a Freestyle up there when I stopped on a trip several years ago.

Coke has our local bottling contract for Dr. Pepper here in the Phoenix area as well, however, you were still able to find Pibb in some Coke Freestyle machines (particularly at local non-chain restaurants), since the non-compete clause for Dr. Pepper doesn't cover fountain drinks.  However, that is becoming rare now.

jakeroot

The Five Guys near me use the Freestyle machines. They definitely had Pibb for a while (distributed through Coke usually) but lately I'm pretty sure they've turned over to Dr Pepper (usually distributed through Pepsi).

ColossalBlocks

The Circle K down the road from me has got a couple Freestyle machines installed.

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

jakeroot

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on October 11, 2017, 10:16:06 PM
The Circle K down the road from me has got a couple Freestyle machines installed.

I don't think I've seen one installed at a gas station before. Though the Extra Mile and 7-Eleven's do have some pretty sizable soda dispensers that could be replaced by a Freestyle.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on October 11, 2017, 10:16:06 PM

Don't think we will get them at the Circle K stores here in the Phoenix area, since most of them have both Coke and Pepsi in their fountains, and their fountains also have some supplement shots to add to their fountain drinks - Energy, Alert, Defense, and Balance.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.