Is it O.K. for a LIBERAL to be in favor of better highways and suburbia?

Started by cpzilliacus, February 16, 2015, 12:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jakeroot

Road Hog

Quote from: bandit957 on February 17, 2015, 12:41:57 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 17, 2015, 10:11:37 AM
I thought Ike was a great President - the Interstate Highway System is an amazing legacy of his.

We should do a list of the positive roadly accomplishments of each President. Though I admit that some recent Presidents have none.

Here's some accomplishments by Democrats and Republicans alike...

Truman - Started his political career by bringing better roads to Jackson County, Mo.

Eisenhower - Signed the Interstates into law.

Carter - As governor, canceled an unpopular and needless freeway project in Atlanta.

Obama - Gave other modes of transport equal footing with highways (for the first time in 50 years).

I know the project you're talking about, but another project Carter and his infamous lieutenant Bert Lance played a role in fixing wasn't in Atlanta proper but was I-75 over Allatoona Lake near, ironically, Cartersville. That gap in the highway was still there in 1977 when I was a kid.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Road Hog on April 24, 2015, 05:57:05 PM
I know the project you're talking about, but another project Carter and his infamous lieutenant Bert Lance played a role in fixing wasn't in Atlanta proper but was I-75 over Allatoona Lake near, ironically, Cartersville. That gap in the highway was still there in 1977 when I was a kid.

There was a gap in a freeway years ago in Georgia that drew national media attention (I think it was featured in a "60 Minutes" segment) - may have been this one.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.