News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Different songs, same title

Started by golden eagle, March 01, 2015, 02:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Brian556 on March 02, 2015, 12:18:24 AM
Quote"Lady" was the title of songs by Kenny Rogers, Styx, and the Little River Band.  What's more, I think they were all released within a few years of each other

You forgot the one by the Commodores. Also, Commodores member Lionel Riche remade Kenny's "Lady" as a solo artist.

In fairness, that's "Lady" that Lionel Richie wrote.

Brandon

Quote from: Brian556 on March 02, 2015, 12:18:24 AM
Quote"Lady" was the title of songs by Kenny Rogers, Styx, and the Little River Band.  What's more, I think they were all released within a few years of each other

You forgot the one by the Commodores. Also, Commodores member Lionel Riche remade Kenny's "Lady" as a solo artist.

Actually, check the writer.  Rogers sang Richie's song, then Richie sang it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

spooky

"Don't Be Cruel" was originally done by Elvis and later remade by Cheap Trick.
A different "Don't Be Cruel" was done by Bobby Brown.

The Cheap Trick and Bobby Brown songs were both in the Top 10 on the week of October 15, 1988. Cheap Trick was #4 and Bobby Brown was #8.

thenetwork

"Best Of My Love"

- The Eagles -- November 1974
- The Emotions -- June 1977

Even though they were completely different tunes, each "Best of My Love" song made it to #1 on the Billboard Pop Charts -- a feat that no other pair of different songs/same title has done (to my knowledge).

Dr Frankenstein

"Come Together": The Beatles / Patrick Lehman.

spooky

Quote from: thenetwork on March 02, 2015, 09:26:28 AM
"Best Of My Love"

- The Eagles -- November 1974
- The Emotions -- June 1977

Even though they were completely different tunes, each "Best of My Love" song made it to #1 on the Billboard Pop Charts -- a feat that no other pair of different songs/same title has done (to my knowledge).

Not quite.

from Wikipedia:

Different songs, same titles to hit No. 1
Song Title / Artist / Peak Date

All for/4 Love — Color Me Badd 1/25/1992 — (Bryan Adams / Rod Stewart / Sting) 1/22/1994
Best of My Love — Eagles 3/1/1975 — The Emotions 8/20/1977
Big Girls Don't Cry — The 4 Seasons 11/16/1962 — Fergie 9/8/2007
Family Affair — Sly & the Family Stone 12/4/1971 — Mary J. Blige 11/3/2001
Good Vibrations — The Beach Boys 12/10/1966 — Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch 10/5/1991
I'm Sorry — Brenda Lee 7/23/1960 — John Denver 9/27/1975
Jump — Van Halen 2/25/1984 — Kris Kross 4/25/1992
My Love — Petula Clark 2/5/1966 — Paul McCartney & Wings 6/2/1973 — Justin Timberlake featuring T.I. 11/11/2006
One More Try — George Michael 5/28/1988 — Timmy T 3/23/1991
Take a Bow — Madonna 2/25/95 — Rihanna 5/24/08
Venus — Frankie Avalon 3/14/1959 — Shocking Blue 2/7/1970 & Bananarama 9/6/1986
Wild Wild West — The Escape Club 11/12/1988 — Will Smith featuring Dru Hill & Kool Mo Dee 7/24/1999

mgk920

Dance, Dance, Dance by the Beach Boys and Chic.

Let's Go by The Cars and Wang Chung.

In the Dark by Billy Squier and Dev.

Several artists did songs titled Lies and Let's Dance.

Mike

golden eagle

Another one I missed is "Miss Independent". Kelly Clarkson scored a big hit in 2003, while Ne-Yo charted a few years ago with a totally different song, though not nearly as well known.

lepidopteran

Shout by The Isley Brothers and Tears for Fears  (The former was used at least once in a commercial for a laundry spray of that name.)

You know Sing (Sing a Song) by The Carpenters (which was actually written for Sesame Street by Joe Raposo)?
Earth Wind and Fire had Sing a Song
Tony Orlando and Dawn had a minor adult hit titled merely Sing

lepidopteran

You know Rock of Ages by Def Leppard?  The name might have been chosen with intentional irony, since there's a well-known 18th-Century Christian hymn by that name -- and even a Jewish hymn for Hanukkah with that title!

PHLBOS

Quote from: Brian556 on March 01, 2015, 06:57:19 PM"What About Love"
-Austin Mahone
-Heart
Til Tuesday also had a song titled What About Love during the 80s as well.

Quote from: lepidopteran on March 01, 2015, 11:55:21 PM
Didn't Neil Sedaka also have a Stairway to Heaven?
Yes.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

mgk920

Wild Thing by Fancy/the Troggs/X (Joan Jett) and Tone Loc.

Mike

roadman65

Feel Like Making Love

Bad Company and Roberta Flack both have songs with the name, but not the same song.

Forever Young

Dylan had one song that many covered later, but Rod Stewart had one that he came out with that is completely a different song.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

spooky

Quote from: roadman65 on March 02, 2015, 01:35:48 PM
Forever Young

Dylan had one song that many covered later, but Rod Stewart had one that he came out with that is completely a different song.

Different songs, but quite similar lyrically, so much so that Dylan shares a writing credit on Rod's version.

A different "Forever Young" was also a minor hit for new wave band Alphaville in the 80s. The song has become more well known over the years from its use in TV and movies.

Henry

Thanks to my daughter's musical knowledge, I know that For You I Will is the title of totally different songs by Monica and Teddy Geiger.

And then there's the two different songs with the title I Will Always Love You that were performed by Whitney Houston (originally Dolly Parton) and an obscure R&B group named Troop.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

The Kinks have a song called "Destroyer"; Static-X and Design the Skyline have different songs of the same name (and Kiss have an album with that name, but no eponymous song).

Neil Diamond has the well-known "America"; Simon & Garfunkel have an utterly different song that's probably just as well-known.

Michael Jackson and U2 have utterly different songs called "Bad."

Twisted Sister and the Who have songs called "We're Not Gonna Take It" that have no resemblance to each other whatsoever.

The Grateful Dead's "Built to Last" (from their final studio album) versus Tom Petty's "Built to Last" released a few years later.

"C'est La Vie" by Bob Seger is a very different song from Shania Twain's rather bubblegum-sounding song of the same name that sounds a lot like "Dancing Queen"!

Close but not quite:

John Mellencamp has "Authority Song"; Jimmy Eat World have "The Authority Song"

Simon & Garfunkel's "The Boxer" versus the Gaslight Anthem's "Boxer"
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Reminded of this one by a friend/co-worker's Facebook post about hearing the song and wanting to have a roller skating party.

Xanadu by Olivia Newton-John and Rush.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on March 02, 2015, 04:34:33 PM
Reminded of this one by a friend/co-worker's Facebook post about hearing the song and wanting to have a roller skating party.

Xanadu by Olivia Newton-John w/ELO and Rush.

"Xanadu" was performed with ONJ singing, and ELO playing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

lepidopteran

Quote from: Brian556 on March 01, 2015, 06:57:19 PM
"You And I"
-Lady Gaga
Eddie Rabbit/Crystal Gayle
If you count "parenthetical" titles, there's also Ambrosia's "You're the Only Woman (You & I)".

Quote from: Brian556 on March 01, 2015, 06:57:19 PM
"Heart & Soul"
-TPAU
-Huey Lewis
There's also that classic that you might hear kids playing on the piano, as they did in the movie "Big".

Wikipedia lists 9 songs titled Stand By Me.  While Ben E. King's version is likely the most well-known, a popular song by The Clash titled Train in Vain has Stand By Me as a parenthetical title.  Apparently, Train in Vain was chosen to avoid confusion with the Ben E. King song.

Air Supply had Sweet Dreams; The Eurythmics sang Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This).

lepidopteran

Different songs titled Cherish were sung by:

• The Association (1966)
  • Kool and the Gang (1985)
  • Madonna (1989)

Brian556

bugo

"Only" by Anthrax and Nine Inch Nails

Takumi

"Come Again" by Hamilton...

...and a song with the same title by DJ Ham, who is the same person.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bugo

There have been some terrible bands mentioned in this thread. Some of you have awful taste in music. Keep it up because it's good for a bit of a laugh.

roadman65

Fame by David Bowie and another song which the title song from the 1980 musical film with the same name that are two totally different songs.

Then there are two songs called St. Elmo's Fire both from the same film, but I believe one is called the Love Theme which is David Foster's instrumental version of a completely different song sung by John Parr which is properly called St. Elmos Fire with (Man in Motion) following in parentheses.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.