Daylight Saving Time

Started by english si, March 08, 2015, 10:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 08, 2015, 10:38:33 AM53. The forum servers' clock doesn't stick to a time zone all year round and now it says it is one hour later than my actual time. This will last three weeks, until DST comes into force in Europe in the last weekend of March.
It just does it as an offset, meaning that (as well as not fitting the variety of dates to switch) places (containing a majority of the world's population) who don't take part in the changing of the clocks, have to change their forum clock!

Made a new topic --sso

NE2

Waaah. The majority of the forum's population changes their clocks.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

J N Winkler

I have dealt with the last two time changes ("fall back" in autumn and "spring forward" early this morning) simply by not changing my clocks last fall.  I also never bother to change the clock on any forum of which I am a member.

Just to add:  Japan does not have DST.  It also does not allow any use of mobile telephones--either voice or text--when driving, which I happen to agree with, and does not routinely offer defendants the right of trial by jury, which I have reservations about and am sure many others on here would object to outright.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SSOWorld

Quote from: NE2 on March 08, 2015, 12:06:47 PM
Waaah. The majority of the forum's population changes their clocks.

sorry, had to :-D
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

bugo

I wish they would pick one or the other (I don't care which) and stick with it. Now I have to spend the next six weeks waiting for my internal clock to sync with the external clock.

corco

Quote from: bugo on March 08, 2015, 04:43:10 PM
I wish they would pick one or the other (I don't care which) and stick with it. Now I have to spend the next six weeks waiting for my internal clock to sync with the external clock.

Maybe not six weeks, but people who act like a one hour daylight savings time jump is the same thing as getting in a car or plane to drive to another time zone don't get it.

It's substantially harder to execute your current, daily routine and have it shift by an hour than it is to do something different in another time zone. I work 8 to 5 Monday through Friday and am pretty hard wired to get up at 6:50 AM every morning, etc, if I am at home in my own routine. Shifting everything backward by an hour is hard. If I drive to South Dakota, I'm off the routine so I don't even notice an hour time change (typically if traveling, I can go up to three hours in either direction without really noticing a difference, 7 or 8 before I'd consider myself "jet-lagged"), but an hour change at home is hard.

cl94

I know a lot of people don't like this, but I wouldn't mind if DST stuck around all year. Yeah, it would get light later in the morning, but the fact that the sun is still high in the sky makes me happy.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

I prefer the extra hour of daylight in the afternoons, when I get home from work, than in the mornings when I am either getting ready to go to work or am at work (weekdays) or asleep (weekends).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: cl94 on March 08, 2015, 05:41:51 PM
I know a lot of people don't like this, but I wouldn't mind if DST stuck around all year. Yeah, it would get light later in the morning, but the fact that the sun is still high in the sky makes me happy.

But it doesn't change the amount of sun at all.  I keep hearing the nonsense phrase "extra daylight."  How powerful do these people think Congress is? 

Desert Man

Only one state in the US remains not compliant to the nation's observance of Daylight Savings time: Arizona. Because a hour of daylight in later times in a hot desert climate could waste more energy in forms of A/cs. For a long time, Indiana which is divided into 2 time zones: Central in the northwest sharing Chicago's time and Eastern for most of the state and Indianapolis, at least one time zone observed Daylight savings and the other remained on standard (don't know which zone did this). Even towns or counties can opt not to do daylight savings like Kenton, OK on the west tip of the panhandle declared Mountain Time as their official time zone.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Big John

^^ For Indiana, the NW part observed DST and the rest of the state didn't.

tdindy88

Expanding on what is mentioned above, Indiana's Eastern Time Zone portion did not change clocks, I know since this is only my 9th or 10th year I've had to change clocks. In the winter we were on the same time as Ohio and in the summer we were on the same time as Illinois. Likewise, counties near the Louisville (Harrison, Clark and Floyd) and Cincinnati (Dearborn and Ohio) metro areas in Indiana unofficially kept their clocks in sync with Kentucky and Ohio all year round. I always felt it was weird traveling into Ohio during the summer and going forward one hour even though we weren't crossing a time zone boundary. Now time changes only at the time zone boundary between Central and Eastern. And don't ask a Hoosier which time zone they should be in, you'll never hear the end of it.

US71

My personal opinion is I prefer the "later" sunsets. It gives me more time for photography and investigating old alignments.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

1995hoo

Hawaii doesn't observe daylight saving time (not "savings") either, but in their case it's because their location in the tropics means the length of a day doesn't vary enough with the seasons (such as they are there) to make it worth bothering.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GCrites

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 08, 2015, 09:09:57 PM
Expanding on what is mentioned above, Indiana's Eastern Time Zone portion did not change clocks, I know since this is only my 9th or 10th year I've had to change clocks. In the winter we were on the same time as Ohio and in the summer we were on the same time as Illinois. Likewise, counties near the Louisville (Harrison, Clark and Floyd) and Cincinnati (Dearborn and Ohio) metro areas in Indiana unofficially kept their clocks in sync with Kentucky and Ohio all year round. I always felt it was weird traveling into Ohio during the summer and going forward one hour even though we weren't crossing a time zone boundary. Now time changes only at the time zone boundary between Central and Eastern. And don't ask a Hoosier which time zone they should be in, you'll never hear the end of it.

I remember getting up at 4:30AM to go to the Indy 500 the first year they used DST (2005). The sun was all the way up by 5AM.

Billy F 1988

I'm a freelance photographer and graphics designer and having the "extra daylight", if you will, gives me a much better time to be outside and walking around Missoula. I'm not for or against DST, it's the fact that some people who complain about DST just haven't adopted to it and getting rid of DST actually makes things worse tourist-wise. That one hour forward gives people in some tourist areas a later sunset for all to see. Complaining about DST isn't getting you anywhere.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Big John on March 08, 2015, 09:07:54 PM
^^ For Indiana, the NW part observed DST and the rest of the state didn't.

The Wikipedia article "Time in Indiana" is baffling in its length and complexity.  It's sort of the four-color map problem of timekeeping.  Metro areas at the corners of the state, plus Indy in the middle, makes picking a line complicated, and DST confuses the issue further. 

bandit957

For about the zillionth time, Daylight Saving Time is useless for greater Cincinnati - unless the area moves to the Central Time Zone.

DST puts us 98 minutes off from our natural cycle.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 08, 2015, 09:15:16 PM
Hawaii doesn't observe daylight saving time (not "savings") either, but in their case it's because their location in the tropics means the length of a day doesn't vary enough with the seasons (such as they are there) to make it worth bothering.

Also, Hawaii has strong commercial ties to Japan, which doesn't have DST.

There's some noise in Alaska about also dropping DST, also because of ties to Japan, but also because DST is largely irrelevant there too. The length of daylight changes so much, especially near or north of the Arctic Circle, as to overwhelm the one-hour DST time shift. However, neighboring British Columbia and the Yukon are both on DST, while Hawaii has no neighboring jurisdictions to worry about.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jeffandnicole

You know, we all went thru the time change just 3 months ago. Except for an extreme few people, everyone got over the time change by Monday. Heck, no one here has mentioned how long it took them to get over it in November, leading me to conclude that people just like to complain about the time change way longer than it actually affects them.

GCrites

Quote from: bandit957 on March 08, 2015, 09:39:36 PM
For about the zillionth time, Daylight Saving Time is useless for greater Cincinnati - unless the area moves to the Central Time Zone.

You know I never really thought about that when I was living there. Cincinnati is much further west of Columbus (the latitude I'm used to) than it is south, contrary to popular belief. Old maps show that almost all of Kentucky used to be on Central Time; even places like Ashland which is much further east than Cincinnati.

hbelkins

Quote from: GCrites80s on March 08, 2015, 10:17:16 PM

You know I never really thought about that when I was living there. Cincinnati is much further west of Columbus (the latitude I'm used to) than it is south, contrary to popular belief. Old maps show that almost all of Kentucky used to be on Central Time; even places like Ashland which is much further east than Cincinnati.

I don't like Central time. I never really did like traveling into the Central time zone. I had an aunt and uncle who moved into one of the easternmost Central time counties, and even then they pretty much did everything on what they called "Louisville time." The commuting patterns from that county were generally to the Eastern time zone (Elizabethtown).

Kentucky's been, best I can tell, traditionally an Eastern time zone state and the eastern part of the state was only moved into the Central time zone temporarily when it was deemed preferable for energy conservation reasons.

I would really dislike it should this area of the state be moved into Central time.

I don't see how DST can be viewed as "useless" since it provides an extra hour of daylight during non-working hours so people can do things outside. For me, I hate getting home from work around 5:30 in December and January when it's already pretty much dark. I was outside this evening until close to 8 and there was still some daylight even though the sky was cloudy.

Move this area -- or Cincinnati -- into Central time via an act of Congress with an effective date of March 1, then 6 p.m. becomes 5 p.m. Then the first weekend of March, "spring forward" and it becomes 6 p.m. again. So you haven't gained anything. You're back to where you were. Therefore I don't understand Tim's logic.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

KEVIN_224

I've heard people talk about putting Maine on Atlantic Standard Time year round, much like Puerto Rico is. Sure...isolate them from Boston and the rest of New England. That'll work real well...NOT!

Without DST, the sunrise for Portland, Maine on June 21st would be 3:59 AM. Say wha?

The longest the day gets for Hartford, CT is 5:15 AM and 8:30 PM (15h 15m).

I still feel Indianapolis should be in the Central Time Zone and be in line with Chicago. I visited that city in August of 2010. I was in Nashville one week earlier. The sunrise and set times with these cities was nearly identical, when you adjust the clock one hour for Indy. I would think their longitude are very close.

SSOWorld

It's the effect of time zones.  Most of the time zones are situated behind solar time by up to more than an hour.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

KEVIN_224

Up until yesterday, I don't think Hartford's solar noon was later than 12:10 PM.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.