News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Daylight Saving Time

Started by english si, March 08, 2015, 10:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Key treatment for SAD is artificial dawn machines to act as alarm clocks. Late dawns will increase the issues, though obviously the best solution is to fly south for winter!

StogieGuy7

As with most things, politicians and special interests have bastardized the entire DST concept.  It used to be 6 months of standard time, 6 months of daylight savings time.  But, it's gradually moved to almost 8 months of DST and 4 months of ST.  Absurd.  I am fully in favor of shifting time zones in the USA to keep DST all year 'round. 

The "kids at the bus stop in the dark" straw-man argument is BS, just as it was BS in 1974.  In fact, it's even more BS now because lifestyles have changed and more kids are involved in after school events now and somehow manage to survive walking home in the dark at 4:30 or 5 in the winter! Plus, fewer parents let their kids stand at the bus stop unaccompanied anyhow.  Frankly, it's a weak argument, I've heard it most of my life, it's always been total crap and let's move on. 

Face it, there would be less energy usage overall if DST stayed in effect all year and we would save a lot of hassle (and money) by keeping our clocks on the same time all year round.   That said, such a proposal would likely coincide with an overall shift in the TZ boundaries (eastward), so that we would not have states like Michigan and Indiana with extraordinarily late sunrises in December.  But it could be done and would put the entire argument to rest. 

english si

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on April 11, 2015, 03:42:52 PMFace it, there would be less energy usage overall if DST stayed in effect all year and we would save a lot of hassle (and money) by keeping our clocks on the same time all year round.
Indiana found that to be the case - Standard time year round used less energy in the summer than having DST during the summer. While there are no recent trials for winter DST, I can imagine it having the same effect - negative energy savings.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on April 11, 2015, 03:42:52 PM
As with most things, politicians and special interests have bastardized the entire DST concept.  It used to be 6 months of standard time, 6 months of daylight savings time.  But, it's gradually moved to almost 8 months of DST and 4 months of ST.  Absurd.  I am fully in favor of shifting time zones in the USA to keep DST all year 'round. 

The "kids at the bus stop in the dark" straw-man argument is BS, just as it was BS in 1974.  In fact, it's even more BS now because lifestyles have changed and more kids are involved in after school events now and somehow manage to survive walking home in the dark at 4:30 or 5 in the winter! Plus, fewer parents let their kids stand at the bus stop unaccompanied anyhow.  Frankly, it's a weak argument, I've heard it most of my life, it's always been total crap and let's move on. 

Face it, there would be less energy usage overall if DST stayed in effect all year and we would save a lot of hassle (and money) by keeping our clocks on the same time all year round.   That said, such a proposal would likely coincide with an overall shift in the TZ boundaries (eastward), so that we would not have states like Michigan and Indiana with extraordinarily late sunrises in December.  But it could be done and would put the entire argument to rest. 

I pass by several bus stops on the way to work and see plenty of kids walking to and waiting at bus stops without parents.  Just this past Friday did sunrise occur before I arrived at work, and it's another couple weeks before sunrise occurs before I leave for work.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

texaskdog

My kid's kickball league plays until around 8:15.  The league would be done if DST was done away with.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Road Hog

I can see a time in the next 50 years when time zones become considered quaint and the whole world switches to Zulu time (GMT). Locals can adjust their schedules accordingly, i.e. NFL early-afternoon games kick off at 1800 GMT and bedtime is 0400.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Road Hog on April 24, 2015, 05:30:20 PM
I can see a time in the next 50 years when time zones become considered quaint and the whole world switches to Zulu time (GMT). Locals can adjust their schedules accordingly, i.e. NFL early-afternoon games kick off at 1800 GMT and bedtime is 0400.

Rocket cars and jet packs will come sooner than you will eliminate the concepts of noon and midnight.  True, as you point out, some businesses would prefer global time, but most business is local, and people will surely resist.

kkt

Those fields that need global time can already use Universal Time if they want to.  Astronomers, computer networks, the military.  That most other people choose to use local civil time might tell you something.

J N Winkler

Zulu time is one example of a culture-neutral time--most of us don't want to live in a culture-neutral world.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

02 Park Ave

Elimination of time zones would be a major step towards globalisation.
C-o-H

vdeane

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 26, 2015, 02:15:58 PM
Zulu time is one example of a culture-neutral time--most of us don't want to live in a culture-neutral world.
UTC is used by, among other places, the UK, so it is in no way, shape, or form culture-neutral.  If we all wanted to switch to a culture-neutral time, we'd have to find a time zone used by nobody, and switch to that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on April 26, 2015, 09:35:40 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 26, 2015, 02:15:58 PM
UTC is used by, among other places, the UK, so it is in no way, shape, or form culture-neutral.  If we all wanted to switch to a culture-neutral time, we'd have to find a time zone used by nobody, and switch to that.

UTC+24:00, maybe?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

vdeane

That's just UTC on a shifted day.  There don't seem to be any full hours that aren't currently used (except perhaps UTC-13 or something?), but there are plenty of half hours available.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

english si

Quote from: vdeane on April 26, 2015, 09:35:40 PMUTC is used by, among other places, the UK
Nope. UTC =/= GMT (or even WET).

UTC follows GMT to within 0.9 seconds (by adding leap seconds), but they are not the same.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.