BBC Suspends Jeremy Clarkson, Host of ‘Top Gear,’ After String of Warnings

Started by cpzilliacus, March 11, 2015, 09:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

N.Y. Times: BBC Suspends Jeremy Clarkson, Host of "˜Top Gear,' After String of Warnings

QuoteLONDON – Jeremy Clarkson, the hugely popular host of the car program "Top Gear"  who relishes the politically incorrect, was suspended by the BBC on Tuesday after a mysterious "fracas"  with a producer.

QuoteMr. Clarkson, 54, is the Prince Philip of television hosts, given to making impolite comments about foreigners and then apologizing. Even though "Top Gear"  attracts strong ratings, the BBC had put him on a "final warning"  last year for his behavior after he used a racist word during filming.

QuoteAt the time, Mr. Clarkson said, somewhat jokingly, that the BBC had told him he would be fired if he made "one more offensive remark, anywhere, at any time."

Quote"Top Gear,"  which began in 2002 as a straightforward program that evaluated cars, has become a phenomenon, sometimes described as the world's most popular factual television program. Some 350 million viewers in 170 countries watch it each week. That makes it an important source of revenue for the BBC, and Mr. Clarkson, who is paid about $1.5 million a year to present the show, is one of the organization's most highly paid employees.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

Jalopnik has been updating this story as more things about it come to light. The Mirror - admittedly not the most reliable source due to its connection to Piers Morgan, who has feuded with Clarkson over the years - reports that Clarkson punched a producer in the face and that the whole incident was over a late dinner.
http://jalopnik.com/victim-of-wild-jeremy-clarkson-attack-may-have-been-ide-1690715670
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Takumi on March 11, 2015, 11:00:47 AM
Jalopnik has been updating this story as more things about it come to light. The Mirror - admittedly not the most reliable source due to its connection to Piers Morgan, who has feuded with Clarkson over the years - reports that Clarkson punched a producer in the face and that the whole incident was over a late dinner.
http://jalopnik.com/victim-of-wild-jeremy-clarkson-attack-may-have-been-ide-1690715670

I remain a Clarkson fan, but he's not Morris the Cat, and he can wait a few minutes for dinner (if that report is accurate). 

Though if Clarkson has been feuding with a producer, then maybe it is time to change producers?

Appreciate your comment about the Mirror not being entirely reliable in this matter.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

english si

The last three paragraphs in that OP are ones that anyone remotely interested would have known about months ago. If we're going to play copy-paste journalism, at least copy-paste the actual story...

Plus it was about 20 hours too late for people not to have already heard via other sources than a reposting of an article in a dead tree media the day after.

The mysterious "fracas" was revealed this morning (UK time, probably while the NYT was being printed) to have been Jeremy punched a producer over not providing dinner. Four hours ago, the BBC had put James May commenting on it online, which showed it wasn't just hearsay.

And goodness me, you missed out the most important bit - that the rest of this season of Top Gear has been binned (the article talks about Sunday's episode, which was up to date when the NYT published it on its website)
Quote from: Takumi on March 11, 2015, 11:00:47 AMThe Mirror - admittedly not the most reliable source due to its connection to Piers Morgan, who has feuded with Clarkson over the years - reports that Clarkson punched a producer in the face and that the whole incident was over a late dinner.
The Mirror is always a reliable source for celebrity gossip (though nothing else), thanks to Piers' phone-hacking legacy (shouldn't be long before the purjuring pillock goes to prison!) that ought to put them out of business like The News of the World which was a far less prolific phone-hacking paper hounded because Murdoch is about the only media person hated more in the UK than Morgan. Except maybe Clarkson...

The Mirror has kept distance from Morgan for years, as did most of the UK population...

formulanone

Nearly anyone else who might spout off as much as Clarkson would have been beaten to a fine viscosity by now. But hey, he's a TV personality, so it's all just ducky...

Like the show (I'm not an avid watcher), can't really stand him, although he has a funny quip every so often.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: english si on March 11, 2015, 12:22:51 PM
The last three paragraphs in that OP are ones that anyone remotely interested would have known about months ago. If we're going to play copy-paste journalism, at least copy-paste the actual story...

Plus it was about 20 hours too late for people not to have already heard via other sources than a reposting of an article in a dead tree media the day after.

Until I saw it in the NYT, I had heard nothing about it.

As for copy-paste, you should be to click on the URL to see the full story.

If not, I can e-mail it to you if you PM me with your e-mail address.

jakeroot

Recent stories I'm seeing are bringing to light the huge bill the BBC is facing from not just suspending Clarkson, but suspending Top Gear's world-wide syndication. All these channels suddenly have open slots and tons of advertising that is basically useless now.

I've heard from Final Gear (a fansite) that they might drop the audience interaction and just string together the films from the next couple episodes into one, sans-Clarkson.

english si

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 11, 2015, 11:21:53 PMAs for copy-paste, you should be to click on the URL to see the full story.
I know I can click the link. I'm simply saying that the paragraphs you copy-pasted were filler ones, rather than the actual story in the article.

The producer punched by Clarkson seems entirely bemused by the whole suspension thing and is laughing about the whole incident. Or perhaps he realises that if it isn't seen as a non incident, him and the rest of the Top Gear staff are out of jobs.

Oh, as for Piers Morgan, he at least realises that he's a slimy git who people love to hate (though he did make up with the loud mouth git that people love to hate). He suggests that if Clarkson punches him again, it will be alright again

cpzilliacus

Quote from: english si on March 12, 2015, 01:31:52 PM
The producer punched by Clarkson seems entirely bemused by the whole suspension thing and is laughing about the whole incident. Or perhaps he realises that if it isn't seen as a non incident, him and the rest of the Top Gear staff are out of jobs.

The loss of jobs part is potentially bad news for the staff of Top Gear, except Clarkson and his sidekicks James May and Richard Hammond, who could easily find work (maybe for more money or much more money) with another employer.

Quote from: english si on March 12, 2015, 01:31:52 PM
Oh, as for Piers Morgan, he at least realises that he's a slimy git who people love to hate (though he did make up with the loud mouth git that people love to hate). He suggests that if Clarkson punches him again, it will be alright again

I have no personal opinion either way about Piers Morgan.

GCrites

Would a U.S. TV network respond in the same manner to a similar incident?

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

jakeroot

SidS1045

Quote from: jakeroot on March 14, 2015, 03:20:36 PMFuture episodes are suspended. Reruns are not.

The BBC America schedule for Monday night has finally been changed.  S22/Ep8 is finally gone.  They're going with one-hour episode reruns except at 9PM ET, which is a new "Top Gear: Perfect Road Trip," part 1 of 2, with Clarkson and Hammond driving through Italy.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

formulanone

Quote from: GCrites80s on March 14, 2015, 11:14:19 AM
Would a U.S. TV network respond in the same manner to a similar incident?

Hell, they'll suspend you if something can be misconstrued on Twitter.

SteveG1988

BBC America is not BBC. It is a joint venture between BBC and AMC Networks. BBC has the majority control. They are more concerned with ratings than the UK channel due to the commercials they are allowed to air. In the UK commercials are not even allowed on the BBC, heck not even product placement.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Scott5114

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 11, 2015, 11:27:08 AM
Quote from: Takumi on March 11, 2015, 11:00:47 AM

I remain a Clarkson fan, but he's not Morris the Cat, and he can wait a few minutes for dinner (if that report is accurate). 

I was under the impression that the dinner was delayed by several hours, not minutes, and that it was being done for no good reason other than the producer wanted to make the show more dramatic. If that's the case I would be more sympathetic.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 15, 2015, 07:58:46 PM
I was under the impression that the dinner was delayed by several hours, not minutes, and that it was being done for no good reason other than the producer wanted to make the show more dramatic. If that's the case I would be more sympathetic.

I read on a Swedish-language site that the caterer was serving cold cut meats (and presumably something else) for dinner.

SidS1045

Latest developments:

--An unnamed BBC official equated the petitions to reinstate Clarkson with the cover-up of Jimmy Savile's pedophilic crimes by BBC management.  Clarkson, needless to say, was livid, and his lawyer has demanded a public apology.

--BBC producers asked Hammond and May if they would re-shoot parts of the three programs that the BBC will not air with Clarkson in them, so those programs can be shown without him.  Hammond and May refused to work without Clarkson.

--According to BBC officials, the investigation into the alleged attack by Clarkson of his producer is over, and the decision is now in the hands of the BBC's upper management.

SteveG1988

Quote from: SidS1045 on March 19, 2015, 11:14:24 PM
Latest developments:

--An unnamed BBC official equated the petitions to reinstate Clarkson with the cover-up of Jimmy Savile's pedophilic crimes by BBC management.  Clarkson, needless to say, was livid, and his lawyer has demanded a public apology.

--BBC producers asked Hammond and May if they would re-shoot parts of the three programs that the BBC will not air with Clarkson in them, so those programs can be shown without him.  Hammond and May refused to work without Clarkson.

--According to BBC officials, the investigation into the alleged attack by Clarkson of his producer is over, and the decision is now in the hands of the BBC's upper management.

Basically, they are debating to make an example out of him or not. Due to the fact that they more or less covered up the Jimmy Saville issue (for those not in the know, after the man died it came out that he used his position to go after underage people. He did TV programs that involved children, along with the TV show Top of the Pops.) They may have to take a stronger position on this than they would have before.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Brandon

Quote from: SidS1045 on March 19, 2015, 11:14:24 PM
Latest developments:

So the Beeb is now saying a punch to the face is the equivalent of pedophilia!?!  They need to get their heads on straight.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SidS1045

Quote from: Brandon on March 20, 2015, 07:00:12 AM
So the Beeb is now saying a punch to the face is the equivalent of pedophilia!?!  They need to get their heads on straight.

I don't think that was their intent, but given the way it was worded the public will not make that distinction.  Regardless of what anyone thinks of Clarkson, comparing him to a pedophile in any way is despicable.

english si

Add to it that it was a BBC official comparing his organisations' covering up of several 70s DJs' sexual offences with a petition that doesn't seek to hide Clarkson's offences*, but merely seek him to not lose his job over them.

*and a good third of the signatories signed before knowing what he was alleged to have done and just assumed it was the classic saying something that one person found offence at that Clarkson gets in trouble for.

SteveG1988

Quote from: english si on March 20, 2015, 01:27:30 PM
Add to it that it was a BBC official comparing his organisations' covering up of several 70s DJs' sexual offences with a petition that doesn't seek to hide Clarkson's offences*, but merely seek him to not lose his job over them.

*and a good third of the signatories signed before knowing what he was alleged to have done and just assumed it was the classic saying something that one person found offence at that Clarkson gets in trouble for.

Honestly, i think clarkson was just roughouseing...which as a 60ish year old man he should not be doing, but with the way he behaves...a bit like a high schooler who has never grown up...it is to some degree expected.
Roads Clinched

kkt

Seriously.  Hire someone who acts like the oldest 16 year old in the world, and surprise!  he acts like a 16 year old.
It's ludicrous to compare a hit with pedophilia.

SteveG1988

Quote from: kkt on March 20, 2015, 05:26:09 PM
Seriously.  Hire someone who acts like the oldest 16 year old in the world, and surprise!  he acts like a 16 year old.
It's ludicrous to compare a hit with pedophilia.

I saw images of the aftermath...it was just a busted lip, i've had worse happen with a basketball hitting my face in gym class.
Roads Clinched

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.