News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Microsoft Is Phasing Out Internet Explorer

Started by bing101, March 19, 2015, 10:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7863331/microsoft-project-spartan-new-web-browser

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/microsoft-is-killing-off-the-internet-explorer-113874075974.html

THis is a concerted effort to for Microsoft to promote Windows 10 for Phones and Tablets.
Yes Microsoft will still have a Browser under the name "Project Spartan"  in Windows 10

Dr Frankenstein

I'm pretty sure that Project Spartan is built on IE's codebase and is only a name change.

hotdogPi

There needs to be a browser that automatically asks you if you want to download something whenever something would start to get downloaded. That way, malware would be reduced, since some malware is unknowingly downloaded, downloaded from clicking (or viewing!) an advertisement, or downloaded from misclicking.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

SteveG1988

Spartan is forked from Trident, so it is basically a version of IE
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

vdeane

Yep, just a rebranded IE.  I assume this means that MS finally figured out that web developers are never going to equate IE with anything newer than IE6.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on March 19, 2015, 02:37:04 PM
There needs to be a browser that automatically asks you if you want to download something whenever something would start to get downloaded. That way, malware would be reduced, since some malware is unknowingly downloaded, downloaded from clicking (or viewing!) an advertisement, or downloaded from misclicking.

Such a thing would be called "Firefox".

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Technically IE asks as well, though there may be a checkbox that users can use to bypass it in the future.  But most malware from the web is either a trojan horse (claims to be something else) or exploits security vulnerabilities that make the presence or absence of such a dialog moot (this is even more severe for IE due to IE's integration with Windows).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

davewiecking

QuoteThere needs to be a browser that automatically asks you if you want to download something whenever something would start to get downloaded. That way, malware would be reduced, since some malware is unknowingly downloaded, downloaded from clicking (or viewing!) an advertisement, or downloaded from misclicking.
This type of functionality can also be found in the competing product known as "Google Chrome". Both Chrome and FireFox allow you to bypass this feature (as does IE as noted). I don't have enough experience with Safari, but would be shocked if this feature isn't built-in...

JREwing78

Quote from: 1 on March 19, 2015, 02:37:04 PM

Quote from: vdeane on March 20, 2015, 02:37:41 PM
Technically IE asks as well, though there may be a checkbox that users can use to bypass it in the future.  But most malware from the web is either a trojan horse (claims to be something else) or exploits security vulnerabilities that make the presence or absence of such a dialog moot (this is even more severe for IE due to IE's integration with Windows).

Flash, Java, and Silverlight should just self-update, as needed, without intervention. Users either don't pay attention to the warnings to update these plugins, or they click the button to request a update that turns out to be malware. Chrome's self-updating Flash works rather brilliantly.

HTML5 does a lot to make Flash, Java, or Silverlight moot. Anything that discourages their use is a good thing.

vdeane

While those are certainly major factors, especially these days as browsers are becoming more secure, the browsers themselves still aren't 100% free of vulnerabilities (and in all likelihood, never will be; the only software without bugs/security issues is a hello world program).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.