News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Whatever happened to Best Buy?

Started by MillTheRoadgeek, March 20, 2015, 08:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MillTheRoadgeek

Of course, Best Buy is not dead, nor has it gone downhill, but I've got one thing that irks (not that much, though) me about the company, is that they have probably not opened any new stores that aren't relocations since 2010. 20-freaking-10. I might be overreacting here (even if you think Best Buy is a stupid store), but it... just doesn't seem like they have opened any new ones. Yes, I know they've been through financial struggles and Amazon is punking them, but they're still doing OK, especially since the economy has improved and they're not doing the 2012 closings all over again. Plus, they need to get back up top, too.

Alright, I'm a bit lazy here, but I think Best Buy should reinvest by putting stores in these towns (for example):

• Westminster, MD
  • Eldersburg, MD
  • South Riding (Chantilly), VA
  • Warrenton, VA
  • Culpeper, VA
  • Somewhere in southern Prince George's County, MD (District Heights/Oxon Hill/Suitland-Silver Hill/whatever)
  • Danville, VA
  • Front Royal, VA
Of course, I chose these since they are towns I know. Anyways, comment on my opinion and feel free to point out any new (not relocated) Best Buys opened since 2010!

SignGeek101

I've got to drive downtown to my nearest Best Buy. Not too far away but still. Considering there is a massive shopping centre near where I live, it would be nice to put a Best Buy there and not just another clothing store. :banghead:

None have opened in my area as far as I know. I don't go there that often though.

SteveG1988

I think they want to have a controlled expansion, uncontrolled expansion can kill a company. Ames, Circuit City, Etc all failed after expansion attempts that went wrong.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Brandon

Haven't been to a Best Buy in years, and I see no compelling reason to go to one any more.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

TheHighwayMan3561

I bought my new camera from Best Buy in October.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

6a

Anyone who has worked in retail extensively will have a field day walking a Best Buy looking at how they're trying to deal with (now) excessively large stores. Remember how the video game demos were crammed at the end of an aisle? Now the middle of the store is a wide area dedicated to just that - that's former shelf space now selling air. Aisles are wider. You now come in from the street to the cell phone gadget section instead of music & DVDs. They're a giant Radio Shack.

The Nature Boy

It looks like Best Buy has realized that they've reached their critical mass and doesn't want/need to expand further right now. Good for them for not being greedy and making calculated decisions.

MillTheRoadgeek

Quote from: SteveG1988 on March 20, 2015, 09:44:39 PM
I think they want to have a controlled expansion, uncontrolled expansion can kill a company. Ames, Circuit City, Etc all failed after expansion attempts that went wrong.

Quote from: The Nature Boy on March 21, 2015, 09:54:48 AM
It looks like Best Buy has realized that they've reached their critical mass and doesn't want/need to expand further right now. Good for them for not being greedy and making calculated decisions.

Makes sense. Best Buy should take it easy, especially since the 2012 armageddon of stores and RadioShack's recent demise. I think, maybe a little stretch break and they can slowly open a few stores (like in the towns I listed)? I believe they should be back up like that by 2017. By the way, anyone know of any entirely new stores opened since 2010?

KG909

~Fuccboi

Zeffy

Quote from: KG909 on March 21, 2015, 10:26:04 AM
Wal-Mart Master Race

HELL no. Out of all those stores, I'll take Target over Wally's World every day.

The Best Buy in Bridgewater seems to be doing good; when we went there to purchase a new TV about 4-7 months ago, the place was packed. Plus I see Geek Squad cars at a decent rate still, so if they were in trouble I'd be oblivious to it.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

KG909

Quote from: Zeffy on March 21, 2015, 10:30:50 AM
Wal-Mart Master Race

HELL no. Out of all those stores, I'll take Target over Wally's World every day.

The Best Buy in Bridgewater seems to be doing good; when we went there to purchase a new TV about 4-7 months ago, the place was packed. Plus I see Geek Squad cars at a decent rate still, so if they were in trouble I'd be oblivious to it.
Why does everyone dislike Wal-Mart it's not a bad place imo
~Fuccboi

JREwing78

Best Buy and I go way back. I've spent a lot of money there over the years, including my first Windows PC in 1997. They're kind of the last man standing of electronics retailers, and they appear to be healthy enough to turn profits. They don't appear to be in a hurry to build out, and they shouldn't.

I still spend money at Best Buy, though most of my electronics purchases are through Newegg and Amazon now; both have a far wider selection and (generally) better pricing. I usually hit Best Buy for things that Newegg or Amazon Prime can't get to me quickly enough, like the case for my Galaxy S5 phone, or a hard drive or wi-fi card for a client's PC. I also bought my 40" Samsung smart TV there - the online ordering for pickup at my store (2 miles away) worked pretty well.

I find that when I actually want to speak with a clerk at Best Buy, I can never find them. When I just want to browse and not be bothered, they never leave me alone.

I wouldn't trust the Geek Squad as far as I could throw one of their technicians. Yanking money out of your wallet is their prime directive, with actually resolving your tech issues a distant 2nd. Anything beyond a wipe and restore gets shipped off to a service center, and you're lucky to get a working computer back in return. And the horror stories

That said, I was satisfied with the car stereo installation they performed for me in my old Ford Five Hundred. The technician was professional and competent.

ET21

I don't mind Walmart, but sometimes their prices are beaten by other stores like Best Buy. For example, I went to Walmart to get a game and some new movies. Fury was $18 on DVD, Amazing Spider 2 Blu-Ray/DVD was $25, and the game was $20. While looking through, I realized I had a gift card from Best Buy for Christmas. May as well use it.

Best Buy prices for the same product: Fury was $15 (saving of $3), Amazing Spider 2 was $13! ($12 in savings), and the game was the same price.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

MillTheRoadgeek

Quote from: KG909 on March 21, 2015, 10:52:48 AM
Wal-Mart Master Race

It's becoming a bit off-topic, but I have to agree with KG. Walmart, Target, and Best Buy are all cool stores.

However, I've seen WAY too many generalizations about Wally World, being that it a. It destroys small towns and businesses and b. Everything is made in China.

a. Yes, this makes sense. But still, Walmart basically meets all the town consumers' needs. So why not?
b. Every store, EVER has something made in China. Not just Walmart. Even the mom and pop stores do.

Also, most Best Buys around here are doing OK. Even the Gainesville, VA one, (which was rumored to close with the 2012 BB armageddon) which is smaller than most in NoVA.

JREwing78

My big issues with Wal-Mart, besides the $500 oil pan replacement they forced me into (thanks f***heads!), are:
- their penchant for treating their employees like slave labor
- the amount of tax dollars they cost me in food stamps and other public assistance because they don't pay a living wage

The only reason their employees are getting raises now is the negative PR about it was cutting into their bottom line.

Target isn't exactly a model employer, but (based on the feedback I get from friends working there) it's a far better working environment, and you actually have some upward mobility there.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: JREwing78 on March 21, 2015, 11:42:25 AM
- the amount of tax dollars they cost me in food stamps and other public assistance because they don't pay a living wage

It's not exactly like these people are being forced away from higher paying jobs.  Many of these people are lucky enough to have a employer willing to employ them at all.

Buck87

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on March 20, 2015, 08:31:03 PM
Of course, Best Buy is not dead, nor has it gone downhill, but I've got one thing that irks (not that much, though) me about the company, is that they have probably not opened any new stores that aren't relocations since 2010. 20-freaking-10. I might be overreacting here (even if you think Best Buy is a stupid store), but it... just doesn't seem like they have opened any new ones. Yes, I know they've been through financial struggles and Amazon is punking them, but they're still doing OK, especially since the economy has improved and they're not doing the 2012 closings all over again. Plus, they need to get back up top, too

Being on top doesn't necessarily mean opening a whole bunch of stores though.  Best Buy is fortunate enough to be the one of the last of the electronics stores dedicated to electronics.  But they and everyone else knows that they have been perceived as a window-browsing showroom for Amazon.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Buck87 on March 21, 2015, 11:55:08 AM

My neighborhood has a problem with package thefts so I have to use Best Buy because I sure as hell am not buying anything expensive online.

I am moving in a month.

6a

Because their target market is the lowest common denominator. I cannot stand walking through a place that is proud to showcase a complete lack of basic retail standards.  Also this:

kkt

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 21, 2015, 11:48:05 AM

It's not exactly like these people are being forced away from higher paying jobs.  Many of these people are lucky enough to have a employer willing to employ them at all.

Right, all the places that pay a living wage have been undercut by WalMart and forced out of business.
WalMart wins the race to the bottom.

SteveG1988

We used to shop at Circuit City before their store near me converted to the big box model, going from the showroom type stores.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Pete from Boston

Wal-Mart Master Race

I dislike it because most employees I've dealt with at Wal-Mart have seemed... short on interest in their job, even by big retail standards.  "At least they're more motivated than the folks at Kmart" is too low a bar. 

Pete from Boston

Quote from: kkt on March 21, 2015, 01:29:00 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 21, 2015, 11:48:05 AM

Right, all the places that pay a living wage have been undercut by WalMart and forced out of business.
WalMart wins the race to the bottom.

Most news pieces I've read about the lauded Wal-Mart wage hike have pointed to the fact that it was mostly a late reaction to higher wages at other retailers threatening their labor supply, not any kind of altruism.

Brian556

The WalMart in Highland Village TX is pretty good. The one in Hickory Creek sucks ass.

You won't believe what happened to me in there the other day. I attempted to purchase a small Tonka dump truck. The bar code would not scan, and typing in the number did not work. So, they refused to sell it to me. They falsly claimed that since it wouldn't ring up, that it must be recalled, which was bullshit. If it was recalled, why was it on the shelf? They were just too fing lazy to go look at the price. I called the manager and complained.

Another time at the same store, I attempted to use a self checkout that was out of order, but there was no sign on it. The lazy beehatch girl that was supervising the self checkouts, who was not otherwise occupied, did not bother to come help me when I tried to get her attention.

At the Highland Village WalMart the other day, I was buying a map of the Untied States. It would not scan, so the cashier asked if it was my personal item that I brought in with me. Think about that...why would I bring that into the store? Dumbass.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.