News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Checkers/Rally's avdertising in Dallas Market despite having no locations here

Started by Brian556, March 24, 2015, 07:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

The posts pertaining to discussions about race groups were removed from the thread. No matter how it started, please refrain from making any remarks that could be construed as racism. Thanks.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

tidecat

I grew up in Mobile, Alabama where Checkers was founded.  I now live in Louisville, and Rally's was founded across the river in Jeffersonville, Indiana.  When Rally's was a separate chain, they had some locations on the Mississippi Coast but none in Mobile.

Despite being the home market, there are relatively few Rally's locations in Louisville.  The one closest to me (which isn't that close) started as a double drive thru but now has indoor seating.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

Brandon

We used to have some Checker's locations here, in my area, but they all left within 5 years of opening.  Now, apparently, they're coming back.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: dfwmapper on March 25, 2015, 02:19:49 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 24, 2015, 08:50:27 PM
Quote from: dfwmapper on March 24, 2015, 08:11:51 PMWhataburger just has way too much love for anyone else to get a foothold.

And judging from my one experience with Whataburger, I just don't understand why. Average burger at best.
You're now wanted on felony charges in Texas. Fair warning, if you denigrate Blue Bell, it becomes a capital offense.

Too funny!  And it is true, we have killed for less.  You just don't bad talk Whataburger.  And lord have mercy on your soul if you do say something about Blue Bell or H.E.B.

We used to have a Checkers in Austin, only one that I can remember, but there may have been more.  It was at Congress and Ben White, and now it is a Capital Metro Park and Ride stop.  It opened in the early 2000's and closed not long after.  There are none now in Austin.

formulanone

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 01, 2015, 01:33:28 PMAnd lord have mercy on your soul if you do say something about Blue Bell or H.E.B.

Can't figured out why H.E.B. hasn't spread (clean stores with a tremendous selection), but maybe the competition from Wal-Mart's growth and other local grocery chains with deep loyalties isn't worth the difficulty.

GCrites

Looks like H.E.B. is privately-held. A lot of times privately-held held companies expand when they feel like it and don't when they don't.

thenetwork

We are getting Checker's/Rally's ads in the Western Colorado Market as well.  Group them up with the national ads for Macy's and Burlington Coat Factory and you got 3 sponsors with no presence in Western CO.

Perhaps they are trying to see how much response they get from non-Rally/Checker markets to see if there is any interest in opening stores there.  I'd gladly take them here!

And whoever brought up the rapping You Gotta Eat campaign....

There was one great campaign in the early 90's for Rally's and Snapp's (which later converted to Rally's) where a young Seth Green was involved with a well-remembered campaign:

https://youtu.be/voYdt2JcZ88

Road Hog

Quote from: formulanone on April 07, 2015, 06:03:52 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 01, 2015, 01:33:28 PMAnd lord have mercy on your soul if you do say something about Blue Bell or H.E.B.

Can't figured out why H.E.B. hasn't spread (clean stores with a tremendous selection), but maybe the competition from Wal-Mart's growth and other local grocery chains with deep loyalties isn't worth the difficulty.

There was a story in the Dallas Morning News last week about H-E-B buying up properties in Dallas-Fort Worth proper. They may be ready to expand north finally.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: GCrites80s on April 07, 2015, 09:05:47 PM
Looks like H.E.B. is privately-held. A lot of times privately-held held companies expand when they feel like it and don't when they don't.

Usually they expand when they have money as opposed to some jackass shareholder getting his/her panties in a bunch about the lack of expansion.  For example, Meijer (another privately-held chain) is finally expanding into Wisconsin and further east in Ohio.

One thing I have noticed is that privately-held chains tend not to run the second business isn't what they hoped for immediately.  They seem to prefer to grow their business at their new location and seem more willing to work with it to make it work properly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.