News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Has anybody done TSA Pre-Check?

Started by OCGuy81, April 07, 2015, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

I'm on the road for business at least twice per month, and I was curious if any other road warriors out there have done the TSA Pre Check and whether or not it was worth it.  Do you find yourself having an easier time getting through security and to your gate?

oscar

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 07, 2015, 04:47:49 PM
I'm on the road for business at least twice per month, and I was curious if any other road warriors out there have done the TSA Pre Check and whether or not it was worth it.  Do you find yourself having an easier time getting through security and to your gate?

Search for a previous discussion of this, including my own experience when three times in a row I got PreChecked without having to pay anything extra, apply for it, or otherwise lift a finger. But YMMV.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

formulanone

I've had it since mid-2012, but I didn't pay for the privilege. At the time, some airlines were offering it for their frequent fliers if you opted into it. I only get Pre-Check when I fly Delta, since I fly about 30 weeks a year with them...even then, it's randomly taken away from me (and subsequently returned) on every 10th flight or so. Why this occurs is a matter of mystery; some fliers say it happens to them, and for others, this never occurs.

The standard TSA rigmarole is well-documented, but with Pre-Check, you can leave your shoes and belt on, keep your electronics in their bag, and any small amounts of liquid in your carry-on. The line is usually much shorter and moves much quicker, since they use the older-style metal detector, not the full body scanner. When the TSA officer checks your boarding pass, it will beep three times, signifying you get the expedited screening - it will probably say TSA PRECHECK, or some such on the boarding pass, as well.

You still have to remove your keys, change, and cellphone from your pockets, you have to take off any thick jackets (rain jackets, hoodies, and sweatshirts seem okay; a winter jacket must come off) and you still can't bring a drink through the security line. And you still might get randomly swabbed for explosive residue on your belongings or hands, but this happens about 2-3 times a year to me anyhow. Some smaller airports, and limited regional airports, offer an "unofficial semi-Pre-Check" where you can leave your shoes/belt on, but not much else.

I have noticed a good deal of 50-somethings and older given Pre-Check, usually those who do not fly very frequently, along with some other seemingly random passengers (because they seem surprised at where the line is and what to do when they get there). This seems to have started in early-2014. My mother, who is 72,  seems to get this for the 2-3 flights she takes every year; I have also seen some families with small children also granted Pre-Check for some flights. Somewhere around 2010, I think passengers over the ages of 75 and kids under 12 were allowed to leave their shoes on through the scanners, so this must have been an extension of the change in regulations.

I am tempted to pay the $100 fee, but for the 5-6 times a year I might fly American, USAir, or United, it doesn't seem worth it...

briantroutman

Quote from: oscar on April 07, 2015, 04:56:32 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 07, 2015, 04:47:49 PM

Search for a previous discussion of this, including my own experience when three times in a row I got PreChecked without having to pay anything extra, apply for it, or otherwise lift a finger. But YMMV.

I've been in the TSA Precheck program for about three years. Back then, those who hadn't been automatically opted in by their airline had to apply in person at one of a handful of locations, seemingly half of which were in Baltimore. And both my wife and I had to pay...I believe it was about $75...for the privilege. But despite the program's shortcomings, I think it's been well worth the price.

The Ideal

In an ideal world, you can show up at the airport as little as fifteen minutes before your boarding time. Provided that you're not checking any bags (and as a frequent traveler, you should know better by now), you simply get in the separate TSA Precheck line, keep your jacket and shoes on; leave 3-1-1 liquids and laptop in your bag. Put your bag on the x-ray belt and walk through the metal detector. That's basically it. It's the '90s again. And since relatively few people are in the program (and those in it are typically more savvy), Precheck lines are usually much shorter and move more quickly.

The Reality

You don't always get "PRE"  on your boarding pass.
First, you'll only get Precheck treatment if you have "TSA PRE"  printed on the upper left corner of your boarding pass, and sometimes it doesn't show up–for no apparent reason. Everything on your reservation has to match up with TSA records perfectly (exact spelling of your name, middle name vs. initial, trusted traveler number, etc.), and the tiniest glitch will kick you into the regular line with everyone else. But as long as you've entered everything correctly, you should get "TSA PRE"  on your boarding pass almost every time. My success rate is probably over 95%.

A Precheck line sometimes isn't open.
Then assuming you do have "TSA PRE"  on your boarding pass, a TSA Precheck line may not be available in off-peak times, and some smaller airports don't participate in the program. If a Precheck line isn't available, you might find yourself in a much longer, slower line with everyone else. Some airports are now handing laminated cards to Precheck passengers in these circumstances, signaling to the TSA security personnel that it's OK for you to leave your shoes and jacket on, but you're still required to remove your laptop and 3-1-1 pouch of liquids.

In my personal experience, I'd estimate a TSA Pre line is available about 90+% of the time in peak periods, and about half of the time in off-peak periods. And when no TSA Pre lines are available, it typically is because the main security line has almost no traffic.

You might have to deal with non-Pre people in the Pre line.
But even if a TSA Precheck line is open and available, the most frequent complaint I encounter is that non-Pre people are being diverted into the Pre line. Often, these seem to include families with children and seniors, perhaps to spare them the "stress"  of the standard checkpoint. Just when these people got used to TSA workers yelling at them to take their shoes off, now a TSA worker is yelling at them to leave their shoes on.

I don't want to overstate the downsides, though. In my experience, TSA Precheck works most of the time, and it offers a dramatically improved experience over the standard checkpoint. As I stated above, I'd pay to do it again.

Quote from: formulanone on April 07, 2015, 05:39:48 PM
I've had it since mid-2012, but I didn't pay for the privilege. At the time, some airlines were offering it for their frequent fliers if you opted into it. I only get Pre-Check when I fly Delta... am tempted to pay the $100 fee, but for the 5-6 times a year I might fly American, USAir, or United, it doesn't seem worth it...

Unless I'm missing something... If you get "TSA PRE"  on your boarding pass, it's because you have been opted into the program either voluntarily or by your airline (the latter in your case), and therefore the TSA has assigned you a trusted traveler number. You might not know the number, but Delta does, and if you can either get it from them or the TSA, you'll be able to use it for all of your flights on any airline.

lordsutch

I've had it as a free side-benefit of having NEXUS (and thus also Global Entry) for a few years now. Since then, I've never not gotten Precheck on my boarding pass.

Quote from: briantroutman on April 07, 2015, 06:28:30 PM
Unless I'm missing something... If you get "TSA PRE"  on your boarding pass, it's because you have been opted into the program either voluntarily or by your airline (the latter in your case), and therefore the TSA has assigned you a trusted traveler number. You might not know the number, but Delta does, and if you can either get it from them or the TSA, you'll be able to use it for all of your flights on any airline.

I don't believe this is true. TSA can put you into Precheck on any itinerary randomly without you having a Known Traveler Number (after all, that's how they've given it to high-status frequent fliers in the past, although that's being phased out), and certainly they can decide not put you through the line even with a KTN on the reservation. They may use some internal database identifier for trusted people without a KTN, but I don't think it's anything you can enter into a reservation.

1995hoo

I've thought about applying for either precheck or Global Entry because American Express will credit me the application fee, but I haven't flown much in the past six years. 
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

empirestate

I have it; I paid the fee and got myself enrolled since I do travel rather often for work. Of course, since I enrolled my work trips have gone done a bit, but it has worked as designed every time for me. And the agents seem to be aware of the program and readily direct me to the Pre line when they see my boarding pass; in other words, TSA employees seem far better educated on this program than on other, more routine matters (sometimes very routine things, like how midnight works, but that's another story...).

formulanone

In an ideal world, you can show up at the airport as little as fifteen minutes before your boarding time. Provided that you’re not checking any bags (and as a frequent traveler, you should know better by now), you simply get in the separate TSA Precheck line

It really depends on the airport size and layout, or how they have security set-up. For my home airport (HSV), I can arrive at my parking space 10-15 minutes before boarding...it has two security lines in total, and only 8 gates in use at its peak on Monday mornings.

Medium-sized airports with separate security lines for each terminal naturally have shorter lines, and those with centralized security usually have slightly longer waits. From entering the end line, to proceeding to my gate...it's rarely more than 10 minutes (Chicago-Midway and New Orleans seem to have bottlenecks on Fridays).

I've had it since mid-2012, but I didn't pay for the privilege. At the time, some airlines were offering it for their frequent fliers if you opted into it. I only get Pre-Check when I fly Delta... am tempted to pay the $100 fee, but for the 5-6 times a year I might fly American, USAir, or United, it doesn't seem worth it...

Unless I’m missing something... If you get “TSA PRE” on your boarding pass, it’s because you have been opted into the program either voluntarily or by your airline (the latter in your case), and therefore the TSA has assigned you a trusted traveler number. You might not know the number, but Delta does, and if you can either get it from them or the TSA, you’ll be able to use it for all of your flights on any airline.

I've tried to extract that sort of information by speaking to a representative, both in person at the customer service desk in Atlanta and on the phone, and they both have said the same thing: "we don't have access to that kind of personal information". Perhaps I'm not asking the right question...

OCGuy81

Quote from: formulanone on April 08, 2015, 06:18:41 AM
In an ideal world, you can show up at the airport as little as fifteen minutes before your boarding time. Provided that you're not checking any bags (and as a frequent traveler, you should know better by now), you simply get in the separate TSA Precheck line

It really depends on the airport size and layout, or how they have security set-up. For my home airport (HSV), I can arrive at my parking space 10-15 minutes before boarding...it has two security lines in total, and only 8 gates in use at its peak on Monday mornings.

Medium-sized airports with separate security lines for each terminal naturally have shorter lines, and those with centralized security usually have slightly longer waits. From entering the end line, to proceeding to my gate...it's rarely more than 10 minutes (Chicago-Midway and New Orleans seem to have bottlenecks on Fridays).

I've tried to extract that sort of information by speaking to a representative, both in person at the customer service desk in Atlanta and on the phone, and they both have said the same thing: "we don't have access to that kind of personal information". Perhaps I'm not asking the right question...

This is all really good information, thank you everybody!

Sounds like my home airport (SNA) would be even easier to get to my gate at if I did this.  Right now, I can roll in about 45 minutes before my flight, but being able to get to the gate even quicker has a lot of appeal!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.