News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Walgreen's to close 200 stores

Started by golden eagle, April 09, 2015, 02:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

6a

So now there will only be one on every *other* corner in some places. My god, how will people survive?

golden eagle

Pete from Boston

Not that there aren't way too many of all these stores (and too many blocks of good buildings leveled to put them in) but Walgreen's really beats CVS on price, if not selection.  I periodically visit a CVS next to a Walgreen's, then walk over to the Walgreen's and make the purchase there.  (The CVS has better parking and hours, so they at least get a shot.)

Jardine

Seems like converting the 200 shuttered Walgreens into CVS is a no brainer.

:pan:

DeaconG

Quote from: Jardine on April 09, 2015, 05:35:33 PM

Nah, they'll end up being carpet or tile places, then go out of business a year or two later.

I'm pretty sure you may even see a few churches popping up... :biggrin: :-P
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

jeffandnicole

RiteAid can expand their reach as well.  Maybe no one will notice they're priced higher than Walgreens & CVS!

golden eagle

I only know of two Rite-Aids in the Jackson area. There used to be one about a mile from my home, but it became a Dollar General.

Scott5114

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 09, 2015, 04:51:22 PM
Not that there aren't way too many of all these stores (and too many blocks of good buildings leveled to put them in) but Walgreen's really beats CVS on price, if not selection.  I periodically visit a CVS next to a Walgreen's, then walk over to the Walgreen's and make the purchase there.  (The CVS has better parking and hours, so they at least get a shot.)

The thing about CVS is you have to use the loyalty card and do some extreme couponing to really get any decent deals. When I'm in a CVS, I will usually scan my card at the coupon printer and if it prints out coupons for anything that I'm low on (e.g. batteries, painkiller) I'll pick some up.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GCrites

Quote from: DeaconG on April 09, 2015, 05:45:40 PM
Quote from: Jardine on April 09, 2015, 05:35:33 PM

Nah, they'll end up being carpet or tile places, then go out of business a year or two later.

I'm pretty sure you may even see a few churches popping up... :biggrin: :-P

Or bars that have cover bands that play a lot of Nickelback and Buckcherry.

SP Cook

IMHO,

Walgreen's and CVS are about interchangeable.  I live in one of the few areas Walgreen's did not do business until a few years ago and even now the number of stores they have is limited.  Other than that, its about the same.

Rite Aid, well, sucks.  Rite Aid pays, both for its professional staff and its retail cashiers, the least it can get by with and treats its workers as bad as it can get by with.  Thus it gets people who cannot get jobs elsewhere.  Thus service is poor.

vdeane

At the local Rite Aid, the cashier is also the person who helps customers on the floor; occasionally there can be a wait to check out if the cashier is assisting another customer.  Thankfully, the only time I need to go there rather than the grocery store is when I need to buy my toothpaste.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Road Hog

I'm sure Chase Bank and 7-Eleven will have no problem occupying the vacant corners.  :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.