How many terabytes?

Started by route17fan, April 11, 2015, 12:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route17fan

As I amass the tons of photos of signs and road-related info of all the places I have been (domestic and abroad), my external hard drive capacities have as such increased exponentially. I was just curious how much info an average road enthusiast has amassed.

I am working on having used 3TB of a 4TB external hard drive.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Alex

Quote from: route17fan on April 11, 2015, 12:58:13 PM
As I amass the tons of photos of signs and road-related info of all the places I have been (domestic and abroad), my external hard drive capacities have as such increased exponentially. I was just curious how much info an average road enthusiast has amassed.

I am working on having used 3TB of a 4TB external hard drive.

You don't want to know  :-P

And I have every photo also backed up on CD or DVD...

riiga

My road-related stuff doesn't take up too much space, but other material does. In total I have about 7 TB of storage of which about half is in use.

Truvelo

I have a 1TB drive which is only half full. That contains everything I have including thousands of .raw files from DSLRs going back over ten years. I'd like to know how some of you have accrued over 3TB of content.
Speed limits limit life

riiga

Quote from: Truvelo on April 11, 2015, 01:46:55 PM
I'd like to know how some of you have accrued over 3TB of content.
Mostly HD video files.

route17fan

Yes, most of the space I have used is dash-cam videos of roads - followed by pdf's of documents

J N Winkler

My construction plans archive runs to about 9 TB.  A few months ago I purchased a 5 TB disk and this will probably be adequate for the next two or three years.  The 5 TB disk is not included in the 9 TB total; neither is a separate 3 TB disk which I use as a holding facility for various things, including photologging.  Counting these and the backup disks as well, I have about 20 TB of total capacity.

The sign design sheets collection is the work product for which the construction plans are the raw material.  It runs to about 30 GB now.  For TxDOT alone I have over 15,000 sign panel detail and sign elevation sheets.  MnDOT recently passed the 10,000 mark and Michigan DOT is near it at 9,000 and change.

NYSDOT went from less than 100 to over 4,000 in the space of a year and I have accordingly had to discard my original collection policy, which dated from the early days of CD distribution and assumed that NYSDOT construction plans would be hard to get and would include only sign layout and sign summary sheets with sign elevations very infrequently included.  Now that NYSDOT puts the plans online instead of selling CDs, it has moved to the concept of a document distribution rather than just a proposal and set of plans, so I am now collecting the signface layouts only.  Even with this much more restrictive policy, NYSDOT seems to be good for around 1000 sheets a year.

I do some foreign agencies as well and I am up to about 5,300 for Spanish central government alone.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Duke87

I currently have 209 GB of data on my hard drive. Photos and videos that I've taken (mostly photos) are about 90 GB of that. I've discovered that while I take a lot of photos compared to the average Joe, I take a lot fewer than the average roadgeek. I will easily drive a few hours without photographing anything if nothing pops out at me as especially photoworthy.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

route17fan

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 12, 2015, 01:33:36 AM
My construction plans archive runs to about 9 TB.  A few months ago I purchased a 5 TB disk and this will probably be adequate for the next two or three years.  The 5 TB disk is not included in the 9 TB total; neither is a separate 3 TB disk which I use as a holding facility for various things, including photologging.  Counting these and the backup disks as well, I have about 20 TB of total capacity.

The sign design sheets collection is the work product for which the construction plans are the raw material.  It runs to about 30 GB now.  For TxDOT alone I have over 15,000 sign panel detail and sign elevation sheets.  MnDOT recently passed the 10,000 mark and Michigan DOT is near it at 9,000 and change.

NYSDOT went from less than 100 to over 4,000 in the space of a year and I have accordingly had to discard my original collection policy, which dated from the early days of CD distribution and assumed that NYSDOT construction plans would be hard to get and would include only sign layout and sign summary sheets with sign elevations very infrequently included.  Now that NYSDOT puts the plans online instead of selling CDs, it has moved to the concept of a document distribution rather than just a proposal and set of plans, so I am now collecting the signface layouts only.  Even with this much more restrictive policy, NYSDOT seems to be good for around 1000 sheets a year.

I do some foreign agencies as well and I am up to about 5,300 for Spanish central government alone.

Very impressive!

Agreed about NYSDOT. (the state that got me in to roadgeeking in the first place) I have found that a lot of the plans and sign face layouts are taking a lot of space. My sincere thanks to you for pointing out where they all are online and to the forum in general about how to interpret the 'techno-speak' of the industry.

Again my thanks.

(OOPS - I just realized that after all this time I have not formally introduced myself to the forum and will now do so in the appropriate area)

ET21

Still running on 500GB  :)

However my backup is 1 terabyte
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

SteveG1988

My laptop has a 1tb WD 5400RPM blue hdd, i have movies and stuff stored on it for use on the road. I plan to eventually upgrade it. my desktop has a 2tb hitachi ultrastar 7200rpm server grade drive. I have no externals other than 16gb USB sticks and a 16gb microSD.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.