News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Things that technology should have solved by now

Started by empirestate, April 15, 2015, 05:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

1. Pulling a piece of paper out of a box.

I never used to have an issue doing this, but these days I spend an inordinate amount of time waving my hand in front of a sensor trying to get a paper towel. I would not expect this to be an unsolved challenge in 2015...

golden eagle

Clear cell phone reception, even in rural areas.

kkt

Whooping cough.  Vaccine has been cheap for decades.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: empirestate on April 15, 2015, 05:39:09 PM

I never used to have an issue doing this, but these days I spend an inordinate amount of time waving my hand in front of a sensor trying to get a paper towel. I would not expect this to be an unsolved challenge in 2015...

That's a manual dispenser you've got there.

empirestate

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 15, 2015, 07:26:59 PM

Manual dispensers don't have sensors...

Pete from Boston

Quote from: empirestate on April 15, 2015, 07:41:07 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 15, 2015, 07:26:59 PM

Manual dispensers don't have sensors...

There's a new model of hand dryer out there that has almost exactly the size and shape of a towel dispenser with little or no explanation that it's not a towel dispenser.  I get the feeling it's made that way as an easy retrofit for dispensers of individual-sheet towels, but for god's sake, why can't I just know what's going to happen when I put my hands under something? 

hotdogPi

4. The vast majority of cars still need gasoline. It should be mostly or all electric by now.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

nexus73

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

jeffandnicole

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

empirestate

6.  Garbage storage.

Although rigid containers exist that can be used for the storage of household refuse when it is placed for collection, in my city they insist on using soft plastic bags that are easily ripped open by animals, scavengers and snowplows, with the result that any given neighborhood is constantly strewn with garbage that we have the technology to contain.

iPhone

Pete from Boston

Quote from: empirestate on April 15, 2015, 11:23:44 PM
6.  Garbage storage.

Although rigid containers exist that can be used for the storage of household refuse when it is placed for collection, in my city they insist on using soft plastic bags that are easily ripped open by animals, scavengers and snowplows, with the result that any given neighborhood is constantly strewn with garbage that we have the technology to contain.

As you point out, technology has solved this.  Your city is ignoring this fact.

vtk

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 15, 2015, 11:52:47 PM
6.  Garbage storage.

Perhaps not the situation the phrase "not invented here" normally describes, but it seems quite appropriate.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Scott5114

I am a little surprised that we don't have some sort of permanent fix for tooth decay that would eliminate the need to brush.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 16, 2015, 05:12:28 AM
I am a little surprised that we don't have some sort of permanent fix for tooth decay that would eliminate the need to brush.
We do. It's called false teeth.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

empirestate

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 15, 2015, 11:52:47 PM
6.  Garbage storage.

Right, so it's not solved. The technology has to be applied in order for the problem to go away.

corco

Halian

HalDOT, featuring my Hoennverse and Safir Alliance worldbuilding projects

mgk920

Quote from: 1 on April 15, 2015, 08:11:43 PM
4. The vast majority of cars still need gasoline. It should be mostly or all electric by now.

Their propulsive energy still has to come from somewhere and the ability to store that energy was a late-19th century *fail* - and things relating to that haven't progressed much since then.

Mike

Pete from Boston

NE2

OCGuy81

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NE2 on April 16, 2015, 11:15:26 AM
Capitalism.

Problem or no, this is an issue of human behavior, not technology.

OCGuy81

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.