News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Things that technology should have solved by now

Started by empirestate, April 15, 2015, 05:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

The lack of a good, simple, easy-to-use WYSIWYG web page creation/editing program.

There actually was such a thing a decade and a half ago (Claris Home Page) but it's long since bitten the dust. (And no, MS FrontPage did not count; it was not easy to use at all and unnecessarily bloated pages and sites it was used to create).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Pete from Boston

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

Quote from: Henry on April 16, 2015, 12:54:10 PM
Flying cars and jet packs on our backs
How is that a 'thing that technology should have solved'?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

english si

Mr_Northside

Quote from: english si on April 16, 2015, 01:03:01 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 16, 2015, 11:30:59 AM
It's 2015! Where are our Hoverboards!
Still 6 months to go...

Just remember - They don't work on water... Unless you have power!
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

PHLBOS

Quote from: corco on April 16, 2015, 09:53:02 AM
The travelling salesman problem
I believe such was replaced by telemarketers & spam e-mails in most areas... due to technology.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on April 16, 2015, 12:08:15 PM
The lack of a good, simple, easy-to-use WYSIWYG web page creation/editing program.

That's because web pages are usually created in content management systems like WordPress or Drupal these days. Initial setup can be a little tricky but after that not only do you get WYSIWYG but consistent style between all pages without having to copy code between pages or use frames.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mgk920

Didn't technology solve the #1 urban pollution problem of the late 19th/early 20th century - that being horse manure?

:hmmm:

:nod:

Mike

roadman65

Getting rid of fossil fuels as back in the 80's we all thought that by this time electric cars would be the mode of transportation by this time.

However, we also dreamed then that mag lev trains would be all over as well, and just now in Florida we are just talking about making it a reality just for a 13 mile run.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tribar

Honestly it's inexcusable that we don't have cures for every disease by now.  We've know about cancer for centuries and nothing.  Same with ALS and heart disease.  Not only should we have cures by know but there should have been cures for decades.

BTW, chemo is not a cure, it's a treatment and a costly one.

kkt

Quote from: tribar on April 17, 2015, 12:13:49 PM
Honestly it's inexcusable that we don't have cures for every disease by now.  We've know about cancer for centuries and nothing.  Same with ALS and heart disease.  Not only should we have cures by know but there should have been cures for decades.

Cancer is a hard one.  But there are plenty of diseases that we know exactly how to prevent or cure, and nevertheless still take lives every year.  Mumps, whooping cough, tuberculosis, etc.

Pete from Boston

Cancer is less disease than it is malfunction.  We can't vaccinate against ourselves, unfortunately.  And it's such a diverse array of conditions that there is no single solution.  We'll be working on that one for generations.

What's infuriating is the rebellion against public health, where people decline to vaccinate or even wash their hands because they think this is just an individual choice rather than an important component of a system of actions that work together.

1995hoo

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 16, 2015, 11:30:59 AM
It's 2015! Where are our Hoverboards!

Heh. Thanks for posting that. Two days ago we were behind a DeLorean while stopped at a red light on the way home.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

We do, but the big companies mainly such as Merck, Bristol Myers-Squibb, Johnson & Johnson, and Schering do not want to market it for fear of losing revenue.  If they came out with the one drug that cures all, of course no recurring use of pills or shots would be needed and therefore less revenue coming in for these companies.

Sheryl Crowe

kkt

Quote from: roadman65 on April 17, 2015, 07:20:47 PM

We do, but the big companies mainly such as Merck, Bristol Myers-Squibb, Johnson & Johnson, and Schering do not want to market it for fear of losing revenue.  If they came out with the one drug that cures all, of course no recurring use of pills or shots would be needed and therefore less revenue coming in for these companies.

However, the first company to market the Cure All would clean up.  Therefore if any company really did have a Cure All, they would market it and then they could invest their profits in other fields.

Scott5114

Not to mention the tremendous ego boost that going down in history as the one to cure cancer would be. Think about it, if you had a cure for cancer, would any amount of money convince you to sit on it? Would you morally be okay with your boss sitting on it and allowing people to die for selfish reasons? Or would you leak it?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 17, 2015, 08:00:21 PM
Not to mention the tremendous ego boost that going down in history as the one to cure cancer would be. Think about it, if you had a cure for cancer, would any amount of money convince you to sit on it? Would you morally be okay with your boss sitting on it and allowing people to die for selfish reasons? Or would you leak it?
Not all people think rationally!  You would market it, I would market it, but the way some people are in today's world is to put profit in front of people.

Sheryl Crowe

GCrites

Having to move, load, hang and fold laundry

a massive time sink

Thing 342

cjk374

That annoying problem of 12:00 flashing on my VCR.  Technology should have fixed that years ago.

Oh wait..... :spin:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

The Nature Boy

If a company had the cure for cancer, they would literally be the wealthiest company in the world when they got done marketing it.

Big Tobacco would also love to see a cure for cancer, for obvious reasons.

Brian556

Quote from mjk920:
QuoteDidn't technology solve the #1 urban pollution problem of the late 19th/early 20th century - that being horse manure

Thank You! I've mentioned that on this forum before. People complain about pollution from cars, but forget that it's way better than having streets covered with feces.

Speaking of feces...The biggest issues I wish technology could solve are with toilets. They clog way too easily. I get tired of having to plunge them every time I have a decent-sized movement. Not only that, but there is the pee on the seat issue. There is no way to raise the seat easily because it has no handle.
Toilets really need a redesign.

vdeane

Speaking of toilets, I want to know why plungers are still round even though the holes in modern toilets are rectangular.  Seriously, a round plunger for a rectangular toilet is useless... in fact, it can make a clog even WORSE if you don't give up quickly enough and call a plumber.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

The Nature Boy

I had a roommate once who would throw on a glove and dig into the rectangular hole to find the clog. Better him than me, I suppose.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.