News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Norway to become first country to turn off FM radio

Started by cpzilliacus, April 20, 2015, 03:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

No static at all.

WTOP Radio: Norway to become first country to turn off FM radio

QuoteNorway is set to become the first country to permanently click the "off"  button on FM radio.

QuoteThe country has announced that it will start turning off FM band stations on January 11, 2017, with the last FM signal airing by December 13, 2017.

QuoteThe statement, by country's Ministry of Culture says Norway is ready to eliminate FM radio, since the transition to digital radio is well underway.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cjk374

First Norway. Next...THE WORLD!!!!   :-o  :thumbdown:   :no:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 20, 2015, 03:47:50 PM
No static at all.
Indeed; instead, choppy sound and/or interruptions when the signal is bad (like we currently get on cellphones).

Mr. Matté

So hypothetically, I bring my 1996 Camry over to Norway in 2018 and I turn my radio on to 102.9. Will I get nothing or will I still get stations to listen to?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on April 21, 2015, 09:13:34 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 20, 2015, 03:47:50 PM
No static at all.
Indeed; instead, choppy sound and/or interruptions when the signal is bad (like we currently get on cellphones).

Note that was actually taking advantage of my age and memory of a song from my younger days.

No static at all is a reference to a 1970's track by Steely Dan track called FM.  You can listen to the track itself on YouTube here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mr. Matté on April 21, 2015, 11:57:40 AM
So hypothetically, I bring my 1996 Camry over to Norway in 2018 and I turn my radio on to 102.9. Will I get nothing or will I still get stations to listen to?

Unless you are near the border with Sweden (long, but generally runs along ridgetops, so FM signals from Sweden probably do not penetrate that far into Norway) or Finland (shorter but in a very sparsely populated area), you will get nothing on an analog FM radio.

Henry

Talk about moving backwards...in technology, that is. Here in America, lots of people are fretting over losing AM radio, while in another country, they do the same thing to the other band. I think that's how it goes in the Bizarro World.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mgk920

I like the range of AM - my normal listening during the day involves AMs from both Milwaukee and Chicago.   And you can't get that with FM nor digital.

:nod:

Heck, the FMs in Chicago broadcast with so little power that they've all pretty much faded away before one even reaches either Kankakee or the Wisconsin state line.

Mike

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mgk920 on April 21, 2015, 12:52:27 PM
I like the range of AM - my normal listening during the day involves AMs from both Milwaukee and Chicago.   And you can't get that with FM nor digital.

Heck, the FMs in Chicago broadcast with so little power that they've all pretty much faded away before one even reaches either Kankakee or the Wisconsin state line.

Which is why satellite radio is so much better than terrestrial radio for long road trips. 

Unless I am in a specific area with an all-news or news talk format and traffic reports (examples include WTOP in the D.C. area, WBAL in Baltimore, WCBS in New York City, KNX in Los Angeles, WSB in Atlanta, KMOX in St. Louis and WBZ in Boston), I stick with satellite radio.

english si

Coastal southern Norway might get UK/Danish FM radio. Certainly it would be able to get BBC Radio 4 longwave where the mountains don't get in the way and probably it would get medium wave AM channels broadcasting from NE Scotland.

AM's range and low tech (AM radios are really simple electronics) means it will survive, at least in some form. Sure it sucks for music, but for conveying of information, it's great. Despite expensive tech for getting weather forecasts, ships in the seas around the UK will listen to the Shipping Forecast on Radio 4 to make sure the expensive equipment is working properly. Radio 4 LW not working is apparently one of a handful of signs the commanders of the submarines that carry the UK's nuclear deterrent use to work out whether civilisation still exists in the UK.

FM's survival, on the other hand, is seemingly dependent solely on digital/online radio not being taken up. Cars, even new ones, don't tend to have DAB radios in them, which is a key reason why (say) the UK isn't transitioning to reclaim the FM band.

And what will the Norwegians do with the bandwidth they free up?

GCrites

Quote from: Mr. Matté on April 21, 2015, 11:57:40 AM

You do that now and it's going to be fuzzy anyway. Europe uses even numbered frequency decimals so you'd be stuck trying to pull in 102.8 or 103.0 with your North American-spec radio.

NJRoadfan

Incorrect, the US only broadcasts on "odd" frequencies with 200khz spacing due to FCC regulations. Europe permits 100khz spacing. There are a handful of areas that use 50khz spacing as well, but it is uncommon.

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/fm-frequencies-end-odd-decimal

bugo

Satellite radio is awful. They play the same annoying songs over and over. The "good" stations play good stuff but also play garbage. I wouldn't take satellite radio if it were free. I'd rather just listen to MP3s on my phone or iPod.

froggie

QuoteSatellite radio is awful. They play the same annoying songs over and over.

I have not had this issue with the stations I typically listen to.

Does anyone know how Norway is operating/transmitting their digital radio?  Is it similar to the handful of "digital FM" stations that we have here in the US?  Which frequency band are they transmitting in?

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

DTComposer

Quote from: bugo on April 22, 2015, 12:56:14 AM
Satellite radio is awful. They play the same annoying songs over and over. The "good" stations play good stuff but also play garbage. I wouldn't take satellite radio if it were free. I'd rather just listen to MP3s on my phone or iPod.

Everyone's going to have their preference, but I'd have to respectfully disagree with you on this. I have twelve presets on my satellite radio, seven of which are music, playing specific genres/sub-genres that I enjoy, so the chance of me not liking a song is low. Rotation on those stations range from average (comparable to a terrestrial station in the same genre) to very low (after a year I have yet to hear a song more than a handful of times). If I do happen to not like a song, there's six other presets to choose, plus 60+ other music channels to dabble with. I've almost never listened to FM since I've gotten satellite. Add in the talk stations, and the fact that I can do my drives across California without having to constantly re-scan for stations, and it's well worth the subscription. Again, just my opinion.

My iPod has about 4,000 songs on it, and I find myself skipping through lots of songs - even though I personally selected them, I find that I often have listener fatigue.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: froggie on April 22, 2015, 12:18:44 PM
Does anyone know how Norway is operating/transmitting their digital radio?  Is it similar to the handful of "digital FM" stations that we have here in the US?  Which frequency band are they transmitting in?

Norway uses the DAB/DAB+ standard aka Eureka-147. It usually broadcasts on 1452—1492Mhz (reserved for government use in the USA). Canada tried to implement it, but dumped it in favor of IBOC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Broadcasting

IBOC itself exists solely to solve the problem of shutting up the NAB. They fought the prospect of new spectrum being opened up for digital-only broadcasts.

Laura

Quote from: DTComposer on April 22, 2015, 04:51:39 PM
Quote from: bugo on April 22, 2015, 12:56:14 AM

Everyone's going to have their preference, but I'd have to respectfully disagree with you on this. I have twelve presets on my satellite radio, seven of which are music, playing specific genres/sub-genres that I enjoy, so the chance of me not liking a song is low. Rotation on those stations range from average (comparable to a terrestrial station in the same genre) to very low (after a year I have yet to hear a song more than a handful of times). If I do happen to not like a song, there's six other presets to choose, plus 60+ other music channels to dabble with. I've almost never listened to FM since I've gotten satellite. Add in the talk stations, and the fact that I can do my drives across California without having to constantly re-scan for stations, and it's well worth the subscription. Again, just my opinion.

My iPod has about 4,000 songs on it, and I find myself skipping through lots of songs - even though I personally selected them, I find that I often have listener fatigue.

I got free satellite radio on my rental car last summer when I drove to SD and back. It was awful. Their station playlist selections were WORSE than FM stations, which is a shame since they have the ability to be more creative on XM since they aren't reliant on advertising. Seriously, the 80s on 8 station played the same top 40 countdown over and over for DAYS. That's fine if you only listen to it for a few minutes a day, but not for a longer trip.

iPhone

GCrites

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 21, 2015, 09:33:47 PM
Incorrect, the US only broadcasts on "odd" frequencies with 200khz spacing due to FCC regulations. Europe permits 100khz spacing. There are a handful of areas that use 50khz spacing as well, but it is uncommon.

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/fm-frequencies-end-odd-decimal

I did not know that. Suppose I always hit the 97.2s and 100.0s without paying attention.

US 41

Quote from: mgk920 on April 21, 2015, 12:52:27 PM

Mike

Yeah and out west when you're literally in the middle of no where AM is way better than FM, especially since you might be 150 miles from the next town of any size.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

The Nature Boy

I personally like satellite radio. It may play the same things, but if you have presets, you can easily switch between your favorite stations to cut down on the repetition. Also, if you travel a lot then it helps to not have to search the dial every hour or so because you move out of range of whatever station you're listening to.

And the range of AM is amazing, especially the high power station. If you're in a rural area, you can get stations from pretty far away at night. When I was driving in West Virginia one night, I was even able to pick up WBZ NewsRadio out of Boston.

bugo

Most cell phones have FM receivers built in. They can easily be activated using an app (you might have to root it first.)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Laura on April 22, 2015, 09:17:24 PM
I got free satellite radio on my rental car last summer when I drove to SD and back. It was awful. Their station playlist selections were WORSE than FM stations, which is a shame since they have the ability to be more creative on XM since they aren't reliant on advertising. Seriously, the 80s on 8 station played the same top 40 countdown over and over for DAYS. That's fine if you only listen to it for a few minutes a day, but not for a longer trip.

I otherwise like 80's on 8 on Sirius, but I do not like those countdowns running over and over and over again.

Brandon

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 23, 2015, 04:17:16 PM
Quote from: Laura on April 22, 2015, 09:17:24 PM

I otherwise like 80's on 8 on Sirius, but I do not like those countdowns running over and over and over again.

They only run them on Friday night (8 pm CT), and a few times on Saturday and then on Sunday as repeats.  They do not run them Monday through Thursday.  I appreciate the repeat as I cannot listen to the entire Friday night broadcast in one shot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Brandon on April 23, 2015, 04:35:41 PM
They only run them on Friday night (8 pm CT), and a few times on Saturday and then on Sunday as repeats.  They do not run them Monday through Thursday.  I appreciate the repeat as I cannot listen to the entire Friday night broadcast in one shot.

It seems like they (re)run the countdown shows over and over starting on Friday nights.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.