News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Norway to become first country to turn off FM radio

Started by cpzilliacus, April 20, 2015, 03:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: The Nature Boy on April 23, 2015, 10:22:46 AM
And the range of AM is amazing, especially the high power station. If you're in a rural area, you can get stations from pretty far away at night. When I was driving in West Virginia one night, I was even able to pick up WBZ NewsRadio out of Boston.

I once picked up KDKA-1020 AM (Pittsburgh) all the way down in Columbia, SC. :)

kphoger

I've picked up WBBM (Chicago) while driving in Denver. Radio is funny like that. I had a friend and coworker in the Chicago suburbs who collected confirmation letters from radio stations. I know he had one from New Brunswick.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: kphoger on April 23, 2015, 11:50:42 PM
I've picked up WBBM (Chicago) while driving in Denver. Radio is funny like that. I had a friend and coworker in the Chicago suburbs who collected confirmation letters from radio stations. I know he had one from New Brunswick.

I have listened to WBBM (after sunset) here in Maryland.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

The Nature Boy

This thread kind of makes me want to go out and buy a radio, just to see what AM stations I could grab.

bugo

Instead of listening to the radio, I make playlists on my phone and turn shuffle on. It is like listening to the radio but with no shitty songs. If a song you don't want to hear comes on, you can skip to the next one. And best of all, no commercials!

triplemultiplex

Quote from: bugo on April 24, 2015, 05:05:50 AM
Instead of listening to the radio, I make playlists on my phone and turn shuffle on. It is like listening to the radio but with no shitty songs. If a song you don't want to hear comes on, you can skip to the next one. And best of all, no commercials!

And you're not confined to one genre of music.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SignGeek101

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 24, 2015, 01:39:46 PM

I always thought radio for the purpose of listening to music would be gone in 10-20 years, though I'm not so sure now. To be honest, I don't really know why people listen to the radio for music anymore. Ads are annoying, and are several minutes long, and much of the music is not even good. Listening on a phone, iPod, or even a CD is much better.

freebrickproductions

Because you don't have to pay for radio but you have to pay for cds, downloading music, and iPods/iPhones.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

SignGeek101

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 24, 2015, 02:14:56 PM
Because you don't have to pay for radio but you have to pay for cds, downloading music, and iPods/iPhones.

Yeah, you're right, but most people have a phone anyway, and procure music from other means than paying for it  ;-)

bugo

Depends on my mood. I can set my players up to just play music from a certain genre and I can set up a playlist with a single artist or many artists. The modern cell phone with a MP3 player is one of the greatest inventions of all time. I grew up listening to cassettes and later CDs and I don't miss them a bit. I do kind of miss liner notes, but you can find them online.

bugo

Quote from: SignGeek101 on April 24, 2015, 01:56:35 PM

I always thought radio for the purpose of listening to music would be gone in 10-20 years, though I'm not so sure now. To be honest, I don't really know why people listen to the radio for music anymore. Ads are annoying, and are several minutes long, and much of the music is not even good. Listening on a phone, iPod, or even a CD is much better.

+1

bugo

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 24, 2015, 02:14:56 PM
Because you don't have to pay for radio but you have to pay for cds, downloading music*, and iPods/iPhones.

You do have to purchase a radio, and you are paying for the privilege of listening to their programming when you listen to ads.

* You don't have to pay for music if you download it via a P2P program like Soulseek (highly recommended) or torrent sites. It might not be legal, but as long as you don't share the files, you're unlikely to get in trouble. The record industry has largely given up on their anti-file sharing jihad. You didn't hear this from me.

bugo

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on April 24, 2015, 02:29:24 PM
Does XM have an All-Mozart channel?

I don't know but there's a station called Pearl Jam Radio.

Henry

Quote from: bugo on April 25, 2015, 03:47:13 AM

+1
And I think we all know who to blame for this: Clear Channel (or iHeartRadio, as they want to be known as now), whose stations seem to play the same songs over and over again, even those who claim to have the "most music" and "best variety". But then again, what else would you expect from a company that is owned by NBC?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Pete from Boston

Commercial radio is now garbage almost all of the time.  However, there are still hard-working human beings programming interesting radio on the non-commercial dial.

The Nature Boy

If you have a local college, college radio stations are still usually pretty good.

dfwmapper

Quote from: Henry on May 01, 2015, 12:46:23 PM
And I think we all know who to blame for this: Clear Channel (or iHeartRadio, as they want to be known as now), whose stations seem to play the same songs over and over again, even those who claim to have the "most music" and "best variety". But then again, what else would you expect from a company that is owned by NBC?
To be actually owned by NBC, which iHeartMedia isn't.

slorydn1

Most nights down here in eastern NC  I can pick up WBBM-AM out of Chicago and WCBS-AM out of NYC-it's fun listening to the traffic reports sometimes late on a Friday night.

I have XM in both Mustangs so I rarely listen to our local FM's anymore. There are times when I can't decide which station to listen to because all my presets have a song I really like playing, and yet there are times it feels like "57 channels and nothin' on" (remember that one?). I guess it all depends on when I am listening.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Pete from Boston

Up here I get quite a few distant stations on the Cape at night, since there's pretty much nothing but ocean between the antenna and most of the East Coast.  It's pretty amazing.

mapman1071

Quote from: dfwmapper on May 02, 2015, 02:43:50 AM
Quote from: Henry on May 01, 2015, 12:46:23 PM
To be actually owned by NBC, which iHeartMedia isn't.

NBC radio is owned by Westward One

The Nature Boy

Right now, I'm jamming to a classic rock station. It's playing everything from Jimi Hendrix to Pearl Jam. Surprising variety actually.

There are gems out there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.