News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

OT: Summer concert season

Started by bugo, April 23, 2015, 01:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Over the next few months, the Smashing Pumpkins, Danzig, Faith No More, Incubus, the Deftones, and the Foo Fighters are either coming to Tulsa, Dallas (4-4 1/2 hour drive) or Oklahoma City (1 hour drive) I have the Faith No More and the Smashing Pumpkins tickets squared away, now I need to work on the rest, The Incubus/Deftones dual headlining show is probably the one I'll try the hardest to get.

What shows are coming to your neck of the woods?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: bugo on April 23, 2015, 01:34:02 PMFaith No More

I knew it had to happen.  Thanks for the tip.  Sure hope I can make this happen.

There are a lot of can-miss shows for me so far, nothing special.  I'd go see the Replacements on Monday if it weren't a gazillion dollars a ticket like all the new festivals happening here.

Zeffy

Not sure who's exactly coming, but thanks to the Levitt AMP Your City project, Trenton will get it's chance to use the city as a venue during July and September. I'm not much of a concert person (my ears already are permanently ringing anyway), but I may have to sweep in during the Summer just to support my capital city.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Takumi

I may see the Smashing Pumpkins if they're in the area, but I've already started on preliminary plans for the summer.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bugo

The Pumpkins show is part of a small tour called the Plainsong tour. The show is going to be acoustic with some electro beats.

signalman

I'm going to see Godsmack in Montclair, NJ on May 12.  They are playing a small venue, I was kind of surprised.  I don't have any other concert plans yet, but I'm hoping to get to a few more shows.

Takumi

Quote from: bugo on April 23, 2015, 05:02:43 PM
The Pumpkins show is part of a small tour called the Plainsong tour. The show is going to be acoustic with some electro beats.
Sounds cool. Unfortunately the closest show to me is Pittsburgh.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Zeffy on April 23, 2015, 03:24:57 PM
Not sure who's exactly coming, but thanks to the Levitt AMP Your City project, Trenton will get it's chance to use the city as a venue during July and September. I'm not much of a concert person (my ears already are permanently ringing anyway), but I may have to sweep in during the Summer just to support my capital city.

Trenton once had a somewhat legendary venue in the City Gardens.  Like a lot of things in Trenton, it ended up run down, but apparently the building is still there waiting for its next act:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Gardens

Duke87

I'm going to see Rush at Madison Square Garden this summer.

And also a couple other bands that my girlfriend wants to see on other dates. But meh, details. RUSH.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jp the roadgeek

Alas, I got shut out of the Dead shows in Chicago, and I ain't goin to Cali. :banghead:  My consolation may be a side trip to the Speedway to see the Stones when I'm in Indy.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kurumi

Quote from: Duke87 on April 23, 2015, 09:11:30 PM
I'm going to see Rush at Madison Square Garden this summer.

And also a couple other bands that my girlfriend wants to see on other dates. But meh, details. RUSH.

Wow. TIL Clockwork Angels is pretty good. Especially if you like the stuff up to and possibly including Grace Under Pressure (but not Power Windows) and were wondering if the 1980s ruined Rush for good (asking for a friend :-). There's like, *music* there. And the songs go places. I'm late to the "Rush is back" party, but ... Rush is back!
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 23, 2015, 06:50:45 PM
Trenton once had a somewhat legendary venue in the City Gardens.  Like a lot of things in Trenton, it ended up run down, but apparently the building is still there waiting for its next act:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Gardens
I remember that place - saw the Ramones there back in the early 90s.

Quote from: kurumi on April 23, 2015, 10:33:45 PM
Wow. TIL Clockwork Angels is pretty good. Especially if you like the stuff up to and possibly including Grace Under Pressure (but not Power Windows) and were wondering if the 1980s ruined Rush for good (asking for a friend :-). There's like, *music* there. And the songs go places. I'm late to the "Rush is back" party, but ... Rush is back!
Agreed to some extent.  Clockwork Angels is way better than anything they've done in a long time.  Some actual memorable songs, and Alex has apparently decided that it's OK again to throw in a guitar solo or two.  I saw them twice about 17 years apart - Presto tour in 1990 and Snakes and Arrows, each following a somewhat mediocre at best album.  I would've liked to see them again after Angels, but they'll probably be around for awhile yet (unlike Genesis - still kicking myself for skipping the '07 tour).  Will have to look into catching Faith No More again too...

froggie

QuoteI'm going to see Rush at Madison Square Garden this summer.

We'll be seeing them in Montreal.

ET21

While not really going to it, I'll be working/rigging at the Rick Springfield concert in a couple weeks. Not sure after that
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Rushmeister

I'll be hitting the road to see Rush:  Tulsa, Lincoln, and Toronto for sure.  Hoping to add some other stops, too.  Chicago, St. Louis, and Columbus are also on the radar, but affordable tickets are scarce now.

Perhaps I can squeeze in the pursuit of old alignments whenever the schedule (and the temperament(s) of my passengers) permits.

Be on the lookout for the Indiana "RUSH ROX" license plate.  I'll be all over the place this spring/summer.
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

Mr_Northside

Seeing the Rolling Stones when they come to town in June.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Dougtone

While many people in this Forum may regard Billy Joel as wimpy, he'll be playing the last concert at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on August 4 before the arena is shuttered for renovation or political indecision or whatever the reason of the day may be. I'm not planning to attend, but I figure I'd throw this out there for anyone wanting to make the trip to Long Island.

TheHighwayMan3561

Billy Joel in May, and the Who in October.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Alps

Incubus/Deftones are coming to NJ in August. I'm there. There's also one of those 90s "we're getting older but don't want to feel that way" tours with Barenaked Ladies, eh?

bugo

Quote from: Rushmeister on April 24, 2015, 05:10:25 PM
I'll be hitting the road to see Rush:  Tulsa, Lincoln, and Toronto for sure.  Hoping to add some other stops, too.  Chicago, St. Louis, and Columbus are also on the radar, but affordable tickets are scarce now.

Perhaps I can squeeze in the pursuit of old alignments whenever the schedule (and the temperament(s) of my passengers) permits.

Be on the lookout for the Indiana "RUSH ROX" license plate.  I'll be all over the place this spring/summer.

When you're in Tulsa, holla at me and we can have lunch or dinner. Do you like BBQ? I know a great barbecue joint in Tulsa. I can also show you some interesting road related sites in the Tulsa area.

bugo

Quote from: Alps on April 25, 2015, 02:09:46 AM
Incubus/Deftones are coming to NJ in August. I'm there. There's also one of those 90s "we're getting older but don't want to feel that way" tours with Barenaked Ladies, eh?

I went to a show that the Barenaked Ladies were headlining. I went there to see the three opening artists (Neilson Hubbard, Garrison Starr, and K's Choice) and once K's Choice's set was over, we left. None of us had any desire to watch the Barenaked Ladies.

As far as the Deftones/Incubus tour, there is a stop in Dallas that I'm going to attempt to make. I have never seen Incubus, and I'd like to see the Deftones again.

signalman

I'd like to see the Deftones again.  I saw them years ago with Godsmack, and since I'm seeing Godsmack next month, it would be cool to see the Deftones again.  I've never seen Incubus, so it would also be cool to see them.  It would be nice to go back to my late teens/early 20s; even if it is just for one day.  I'm totally down to go to this.  Where are they playing?

6a

Quote from: bugo on April 25, 2015, 04:46:42 AM

I went to a show that the Barenaked Ladies were headlining. I went there to see the three opening artists (Neilson Hubbard, Garrison Starr, and K's Choice) and once K's Choice's set was over, we left. None of us had any desire to watch the Barenaked Ladies.

As far as the Deftones/Incubus tour, there is a stop in Dallas that I'm going to attempt to make. I have never seen Incubus, and I'd like to see the Deftones again.
I've just recently been rediscovering K's Choice. Somehow I'd completely forgotten about them.

Even though it's only ten miles at most from my front door I've never pulled the trigger on Rock on the Range. I've never really been to a show that big anyway, I'm not sure it's the kind of thing I'd like.

Pete from Boston

I just saw that Dinosaur Jr. and Primus are playing together at one of the big outdoor stages here this summer. 

A couple of years ago I got brought to Solid Sound, the three-day festival put on by Wilco all over the grounds of Mass. MoCA, the factory-complex-turned-art-museum in North Adams.  I realized I don't love Wilco, but it was a hell of a venue to fill with thousands of people and beer.  The steep price will probably stop me from going again this June, but I'm at least mulling it over.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 25, 2015, 08:20:24 AM
I just saw that Dinosaur Jr. and Primus are playing together at one of the big outdoor stages here this summer. 
I saw them both together at Lollapalooza in 93.  It wasn't until a little later that I really began to appreciate Dinosaur Jr., so I would've liked to see them again.  Unfortunately, a festival of 90s acts sounds kind of depressing to me, like Mid-Life Crisis Fest.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.