News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rumble from Chicago to Detroit

Started by Stephane Dumas, May 02, 2015, 03:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Some people had felt an Earthquake from Chicago to Detroit.
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/05/02/what-was-that-rumble-several-people-report-feeling-earthquake-around-metro-detroit/

Is it the New Madrid fault line who decided to practice until the big one or another fault line?

ET21

I think it's a different fault, New Madrid is towards southern Illinois. Then again, I'm not a seismologist
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

DaBigE

I'm no seismologist either, but I don't think the New Madrid fault is linked. It could be part of a similar earthquake "swarm" that plagued Clintonville, Wisconsin a couple years ago. Didn't feel any of the Clintonville stuff, but we feel the Michigan one in our 3rd floor apartment just north of Madison.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

golden eagle

slorydn1

I'm not a scientist, I don't even play one on TV nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express....

That said, I once saw something on the Science Channel back when they used to show useful programming and not the reality flavor of the month that talked about  earthquakes in the northern part of the Midwest being mostly caused by the crust rebounding due to the removal of trillions of tons ice from the surface since the end of the last ice age...

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

DaBigE

Quote from: slorydn1 on May 03, 2015, 12:14:04 AM
That said, I once saw something on the Science Channel back when they used to show useful programming and not the reality flavor of the month that talked about  earthquakes in the northern part of the Midwest being mostly caused by the crust rebounding due to the removal of trillions of tons ice from the surface since the end of the last ice age...

I seem to recall hearing a similar thing too. IIRC, they also speculated at one time about that being the cause of the rumblings/quakes in Clintonville, WI.

Something about the geology of the upper-Midwest causes even the smallest of quakes to be felt for a wide radius.

The Nature Boy

A few of my friends are blaming fracking for this earthquake. This reeks of armchair science though.

Any proof that fracking is causing quakes in the Upper Midwest?

DaBigE

I seem to remember a credible tie between fracking and the recent increase in earthquakes in Oklahoma...don't know if there's any fracking going on in Michigan. I know there is no fracking occurring in Wisconsin.

renegade

I am located midway between Ann Arbor and Detroit.  I have assessed the situation, and have determined that we shall rebuild.

:bigass:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

GaryV

Anyone who was driving thought it was merely a pothole.

getemngo

WWMT interviewed the people who lived in the house closest to the epicenter, and they said it opened a few of their kitchen drawers and tilted a couple pictures. That's it.

I live an hour north of where it hit, and I felt it (thought it was the house's water pump breaking again) and my partner heard it, but most folks I talked to didn't know it happened until hearing it on the news.
~ Sam from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.