News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Off-highway uses of FHWA Series D

Started by J N Winkler, November 05, 2010, 02:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

To complement the wall clock thread . . .

I start with:

*  Airfield signs internationally (except at some airports, e.g. London Heathrow, where local traffic typefaces have been substituted)

*  Gate identification signs at many US airports
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

Chevron gas stations use E or EM for the digits in their price displays.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

huskeroadgeek

Several different companies use FHWA-like fonts in their advertising. Arby's is the one I notice the most.

Quillz

AT&T uses a modified version of Clearview as their official corporate font.

EDIT: Sorry, misread the topic title, thought it said off-highway uses of highway fonts.

Dr Frankenstein

Dairy Queen comes to my mind... I don't know if they're still using it though.

cu2010

Hannaford supermarkets here in the northeast use them as well...both in their print flyers and their website.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Android

K-Mart used to have their larger price tag signs in Series E or EM.   

The Weather Channel has used Highway Gothic on their maps and the local station forecasts for years.  Here's one link for my region's temperatures that I click on fairly often - the temperatures are all in series E, or maybe EM - hard to tell with the way they apply a "drop shadow" under the numbers. 

http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/currentweatherusregional/northcentraluscurrenttemps_large.html

Now over on the railroads, many hundreds of coal cars (and some other types as well) owned by First Union Rail Leasing have been relettered over the last decade into their own reporting marks "FURX" and many of those were done in Series D Highway Gothic.  It was becuase of those that I first ever "paid attention" to that typeface, this was several years ago now. I work for a RR contractor at a coal mine, and suddenly stated seeing those all the time, mostly just former DEEX cars after the lease expired and FURX relettered them in their own marks.  But I'd see them when inspecting trains, and found the nice friendly letters were nice to read, they were larger and different letters than on most of the other coal cars I'd see while writing train lists. I knew I'd seen those letter before but could not remember where..... until one day on the way home from work I saw a Speed Limit sign and was like "aha!  that's where I seen those before" and that started my, uh, well,  "infatuation" with Highway Gothic. Two examples of FURX RR cars with Series D on them:

Also on the railroad, for Union Pacific, on their series of "Heritage Locomotives" they used Series E for engine numbers, both the painted on numbers and the light-up number boards. Two more examples:

-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

agentsteel53

those last two locomotives are cool as hell!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

I work at a retail store and the containers we keep outside to store various merchandise are all numbered using Series B decals.

Eth

This may be stretching the definition of "off-highway", but the vast majority of school buses I've seen have the system name and bus number on the side in the FHWA fonts.  I've seen them ranging from Series B to D depending on the bus.

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

ctsignguy

Quote from: Android on November 05, 2010, 11:41:08 PM
Also on the railroad, for Union Pacific, on their series of "Heritage Locomotives" they used Series E for engine numbers, both the painted on numbers and the light-up number boards. Two more examples:

And if you are an 'N-scaler', these locomotives are available from KATO through finer hobby shops and mail-order hobby retailers....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Roadsign199qc

I've don't seen an highway font other than on the highway.
Hi!

6a

Don't know if you'd call this 'off-highway' or not.  Our work trucks recently got a new number scheme, which called for new numbers (duh.)  This is pretty close, if not spot on (and the application is about as good as some of the signs I've seen :pan: )

Android

Okay, here's a crazy one, while it's not Series D exactly, it's definitely an "off-highway" usage.  This one certainly caught me by surprise.  I was making a frozen Safeway pizza the other day and decided to look at the nutrition facts label.

Immediately I noticed the spiked Highway Gothic style "t" in Nutrition, then I noticed the bold numbers were quite close to being Highway Gothic E-Modified.   Looked a little closer and realized that the entire Nutrition Facts Box was done in various derivations from Highway Gothic - well, one of similar commercial typefaces I'm sure.  Light and heavy type, stretched,etc.  I'm guessing someone in the Safeway products graphics department must be a roadgeek. 

Since this is something of a departure from the normal Nutrition Facts labelling, I took a few minutes to go and see if this was, in fact, "legal" or not.  FDA's website says it is. 

Q: How closely must I follow the "Examples of graphic enhancements used by the FDA" in appendix B to Part 101?

A: You are not required to follow Appendix B to Part 101. Appendix B and its specifications are a model, which FDA has suggested in the interest of uniformity of presentation. For example, 21 CFR 101.36(e)(3)(i) requires the use of an "easy-to-read" type style, not specifically Helvetica type, as suggested in Appendix B.

stormwatch7721

TV Guide magazine had the fonts.

Dr Frankenstein

It's election time in Canada, and I just got some documentation explaining which documents I need and some other stuff. About half of the text is in Series D and E, or a variant thereof.

cu2010

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire is now using Series E for many of it's graphics.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Scott5114

Most of these "off-highway" uses aren't vanilla FHWA Series, but rather a typeface called Interstate, which was designed to resemble FHWA Series's letterforms but be more usable for other types of graphic design.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Android

yeah, that's about what I meant when I said " well, one of similar commercial typefaces" above. Interstate is one, there are others.

ModusPwnins

I noticed last night that the video game Portal 2 uses FHWA fonts in one of the sections.

Album:

brownpelican

Scott5114

I wonder where FHWA Series fonts and weather got linked. TWC's Intellistar uses them too.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Dr Frankenstein

It's used quite often on TV, it seems.

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.