News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Off-highway uses of FHWA Series D

Started by J N Winkler, November 05, 2010, 02:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busman_49

Chipotle's menu boards use a derivative of this font

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Scott5114

Quote from: briantroutman on March 07, 2014, 05:16:42 PM
Many adhesive lettering manufacturers (whose products have been widely used by railroads, trucking companies, utility companies, etc.) have long used FHWA letter and number shapes because the full specs are publicly available in the Standard Sign Alphabets guidebook, and they're not protected by any intellectual property restrictions.

Does anyone know where these could be purchased? I've looked around off and on but I'm not sure what the most effective search term would be.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Zeffy

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 14, 2014, 02:00:56 PM
Does anyone know where these could be purchased? I've looked around off and on but I'm not sure what the most effective search term would be.

I googled 'adhesive lettering' and got some results, but then I did 'adhesive lettering stencils highway gothic' and I did get a few pages that had Series B, C, and D available.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Android

You might try "vinyl highway gothic" as search terms as well.

Also... I mentioned the Series C numbers I found a while back for sale on eBay, which are still available. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PACKS-4-INCH-NUMBERS-STICK-ON-VINYL-BLACK-INDOOR-OUTDOOR-QTY-2/281294056989?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&;
-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

agentsteel53

from the auction:

QuoteTHE FONT IS HELVETICA

:banghead:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Android

Yeah, and if you read my previous post....

Quote from: Android on March 01, 2014, 05:32:03 PM

.... Last year I spotted on eBay someone selling sets of vinyl 4 inch number decals that were very close to FHWA series C.  Except the company that made them has them mis-labeled as Helvetica! But my eye spotted what they really were, and I bought some.  Heck, that made me check, that person must have a whole crate of the things, they still are selling 10 and 20 packs....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PACKS-4-INCH-NUMBERS-STICK-ON-VINYL-BLACK-INDOOR-OUTDOOR-NEW-/281271829276?hash=item417d1b831c
-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

Pete from Boston

I don't really know from one series to the next, but the number plaques on the Northeast Corridor overhead power gantries in Connecticut seem to be lettered in D or a series close to it.

getemngo

I think AT&T has moved away from Clearview, but here's an example of it:

At the Huntsville meet, I noticed a lot of Chevron stations used an FHWA font for their prices, pump numbers, and "Food Mart" signage:

And on a bus ad in Grand Rapids:

And if you go to Entertainment Tonight's website and click on a random article, the headline appears to be a knockoff of Series C, and the article text looks like another FHWA knockoff font.
~ Sam from Michigan

PHLBOS

During the first 6 seasons of the TV sitcom, One Day at a Time; Series D numerals were on the apartment doors.

Scroll down
GPS does NOT equal GOD

sammi

Quote from: getemngo on November 06, 2014, 02:29:22 PM

And if you go to Entertainment Tonight's website and click on a random article, the headline appears to be a knockoff of Series C, and the article text looks like another FHWA knockoff font.

These are all the same font Interstate. On the news article the heading font's CSS style even says font-family: "Interstate Condensed Bold";. It isn't as noticeable on the first image though.

SignGeek101

I use Series D for my school assignments all the time. I don't know if it's my signgeeking getting in the way, but I don't like the way Arial or Times New Roman looks on anything anymore. Series D or Clearview 5W just looks neat and clean on assignments IMO.

busman_49

Quote from: SignGeek101 on November 06, 2014, 10:58:18 PM
I use Series D for my school assignments all the time. I don't know if it's my signgeeking getting in the way, but I don't like the way Arial or Times New Roman looks on anything anymore. Series D or Clearview 5W just looks neat and clean on assignments IMO.

On my old computer, I had Blue Highway set as the default font on Word (this was before the Roadgeek fonts came out)

route17fan

Quote from: busman_49 on November 07, 2014, 09:12:12 AM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on November 06, 2014, 10:58:18 PM

On my old computer, I had Blue Highway set as the default font on Word (this was before the Roadgeek fonts came out)

I had Blue Highway set also!  :-D
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Pete from Boston

Zipcar uses either a FHWA font or something very similar for its primary marketing copy.

sammi

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 23, 2014, 06:14:38 PM
Zipcar uses either a FHWA font or something very similar for its primary marketing copy.

I see a DIN 1451 font (FF DIN?) instead.

busman_49

Scott5114

US-377/SH-99, Ada, Oklahoma (from GSV)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

6a

I can never tell what series is what, but how about some button copy?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.