News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey map drawing meet

Started by Alps, February 11, 2014, 10:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When would you attend a map drawing meet in NJ?

Saturday, December 6
2 (22.2%)
Saturday, December 20
4 (44.4%)
Saturday, January 3
5 (55.6%)
Saturday, January 10*
5 (55.6%)
Saturday, January 31
6 (66.7%)
Saturday, February 21
5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Alps

Several of us draw road maps for fun. I've noticed two of us are in New Jersey. Is there interest in having a meet where instead of driving roads, we get together and draw them for an afternoon? (And share drawings, and just socialize in general.) For the first one, I'm thinking this can be anywhere between Philly and New York, whichever would draw more people.

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on February 11, 2014, 10:53:12 PM
I'm thinking this can be anywhere between Philly and New York, whichever would draw more people.

So are we drawing maps or people, then? :P

This sounds like fun. I don't draw maps nearly as much as I used to (when you've completed an 11,000+ mile highway on a fictional planet that fills 14 notebooks and written backstory for the world it's in, just how do you top that?) but I'm down.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Laura

I haven't done this in far too long. I'm in.

jpi

I used to draw maps when I was kid and as recently as my teenage years, depending on if I am in the area or not I would be up to it. :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jeffandnicole

Most of my drawings now occur on the back of the pages of those page-a-day calendars...just something to kill a little time at work after I rip yesterday's page off and before I throw away the page. 

PHLBOS

It's been a while since I drew a map by hand; but I'd be up for attending, schedule permitting.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Dr Frankenstein

Why the heck not. I'll go if I'm available.

Zeffy

Damn, I 'draw' maps on my computer nowadays - the handwritten ones are too cryptic to be understood by anyone but myself. I also don't have any way to go anywhere. This sounds like fun too. =(
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

froggie

FYI, I'll be passing through Sunday March 2nd...

Alps

Thoughts thus far:
* People are definitely interested
* I like the idea of doing it soon, when there's still not too much daylight for a typical road meet
* If I have it near Hillsborough, maybe Zeffy can attend
* March 2nd is a possibility

But March 2nd is a Sunday. On the other hand, I think my Saturdays are all booked up into April, except possibly March 8th.
Poll time!

Dr Frankenstein

Zeffy, I guess we can bring our laptops. :)

Alps

There seem to be a lot of meets crammed into the first half of the year, especially March into April. This may go on hold for something toward the end of the year.

Laura

Quote from: Alps on February 13, 2014, 03:49:38 PM
There seem to be a lot of meets crammed into the first half of the year, especially March into April. This may go on hold for something toward the end of the year.

Thank you times infinity. I was going to suggest postponing this because there are so many meets this March and April that I already have to decide between them.

hbelkins

Quote from: Laura on February 15, 2014, 09:02:58 PM
Thank you times infinity. I was going to suggest postponing this because there are so many meets this March and April that I already have to decide between them.

Seriously.

There are four meets on four consecutive weekends, all within normal travel distance for me. I'm pretty much 100 percent on Tennessee since it's the closest, and realistically can only do one of the remaining three (St. Louis, Hampton Roads/Delmarva and Elmira/Corning). These may be the only meets I get to attend this year so I'm in the process of trying to decide which other one besides Tennessee.

All have pros and cons. I'm leaning toward Hampton Roads/Delmarva but can be convinced otherwise.

(FB friends should have seen my post about it with an invitation to sway me toward a different second meet).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dougtone

I like the idea of a map drawing meet and actually had voted for March 8th.  However, I would have to agree that this is an event that may work better in November or December when there aren't quite as many potential road meets all bunched up in a row.

Zeffy

The upside to moving it back is that I actually may be able to get my own personal vehicle, which of course opens up more location possibilities for everyone.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on February 17, 2014, 12:14:55 PM
The upside to moving it back is that I actually may be able to get my own personal vehicle, which of course opens up more location possibilities for everyone.
If the weather's alright, we could hold it on the unopened Hillsborough Bypass anyway.

civilmaher

:-o I've been drawing maps of non-existent towns since I was five! Other people do this too?! Incredible.

I should be able to open up a slot in my schedule to attend. Looking forward to this!  :nod:
Opinions represent mine and no other organization that I am associated with.

CrystalWalrein

I have somewhere to be in Cherry Hill on 2 March, but 9 March and 15 March are within the spring break period at college, and I'll be using my vacation time from work for that week.

Zeffy

Quote from: Alps on February 17, 2014, 07:57:51 PM
If the weather's alright, we could hold it on the unopened Hillsborough Bypass anyway.

I've driven the opened portions of the bypass. Hopefully the new segments make it a bit more exciting.  :)  Anyway, if we can get a good date set I can see about my availability for this. I would love to be a part of a roadmeet in any aspect. If I had my own car, I would definitely go to the NYC one.

froggie

QuoteIf I had my own car, I would definitely go to the NYC one.

Perhaps not the right thread for this, and the details haven't been hashed out, but given that it's the NYC area, it's theoretically possible you'd be able to go to the meet without requiring a car to get there.  We've had 3 DC-area meets where one could take transit to get there (2 of them were literally right on the Metrorail).

NYC (as with DC) also strikes me as one of those regions where, the fewer cars there are driving on the tour, the better...

Laura

Paging Alps' Roads...

I'm exhuming this thread because now that Fall and Winter are approaching, I want to do this. In addition to map drawing, I could also bring my various geography-themed board games to the mix.

Alps

Quote from: Laura on August 23, 2014, 10:42:37 PM
Paging Alps' Roads...

I'm exhuming this thread because now that Fall and Winter are approaching, I want to do this. In addition to map drawing, I could also bring my various geography-themed board games to the mix.
Paged. Fall is always a travel season for me, so let's think about winter. It's a good time to all get together and hunker down for a storm.

Laura

Quote from: Alps on August 25, 2014, 11:28:49 PM
Quote from: Laura on August 23, 2014, 10:42:37 PM
Paging Alps' Roads...

Paged. Fall is always a travel season for me, so let's think about winter. It's a good time to all get together and hunker down for a storm.

Yes! Winter sounds good to me.

Alps

I've reset the date choices with a few good Devils games. Figure we meet for lunch (or earlier), draw maps, shoot the breeze, then head on into Newark, have some Dino BBQ (or any other desired food), catch the game.
12/6, 12/20 = Capitals
1/3 = Flyers
1/31 = Panthers (cheaper tix)
2/21 = Hurricanes

* Edit: Doug wants to see the Islanders on Friday, January 9, in which case the meet would be the following day with no hockey thereafter. But you could all come the night before!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.