PA - Flooding Closes Parkway Central and 10th Street Bypass

Started by PAHighways, January 26, 2010, 06:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

A boat would have been the preferable conveyance for those who use I-376 and the 10th Street Bypass this morning, as the waters of the Allegheny and Mon rose from weekend rains and snow melt.

Downtown Flooding Closes Parkway, Bypass, Delays Drivers

CanesFan27

As a result of the closure, a variable message or is it rotating message guide sign that reads West I-376, displayed its other message.  The Road is Closed and all traffic must exit left. (Grant St. - Exit 71A.)

Ed Szuba snapped a photo of this rarely seen message, and it's up at the blog.

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2010/01/flooding-causes-rare-i-376-message-sign.html

Mr_Northside

Quote from: CanesFan27 on January 26, 2010, 06:55:10 PM
http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2010/01/flooding-causes-rare-i-376-message-sign.html

Awesome.
For years I was wondering what "alternate function" that sign had.  I kinda feel dumb for not guessing that before now.

There WAS also a similar sign at the exit point for Second Ave... though it was replaced just over a week ago with a diagram sign for Grant Street. (Where the "Exit Only" portion looks like it's over the center lane, not the left lane)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Mr_Northside

Quote from: CanesFan27 on January 26, 2010, 06:55:10 PM

So, the sign posted in that link has been replaced (actually, replaced a couple of months ago, but until the leaves fell off the trees in the picture, I couldn't get a picture of it from the "Jail Trail")  There hasn't been a flood yet for anyone to see them in action yet, though I'm guessing it will simply say "Closed" under each shield.  Doubt it will be in red, like the old sign.

Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 27, 2010, 10:20:18 AM
There WAS also a similar sign at the exit point for Second Ave... though it was replaced just over a week ago with a diagram sign for Grant Street. (Where the "Exit Only" portion looks like it's over the center lane, not the left lane)

When they replaced the sign I was referring to in the above quote (some time ago), it didn't have anything to indicate the Parkway being closed, but in the last few weeks they added an electronic aspect below the 376 shield as well...

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

KEVIN_224

That sign from two years ago looks like a sign from the New Jersey Turnpike! It's the only place I've seen one like that.

PAHighways

There was a sign like it out on the Parkway West in Carnegie that gave drive times between various points along then 279.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.