News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

University Pwky

Started by silverback1065, January 31, 2013, 02:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Is this a new state highway, or more of a county highway?  How much more is going to be built?

seicer

agentsteel53

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on January 31, 2013, 02:33:22 PM
Where?

counterintuitively enough, University Parkway does not go anywhere near the University of Alanland, instead connecting the great industrial fields of the North, with the toxic waste/agricultural zones of the Other North.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Grzrd

silverback1065

Sorry I totally forgot to say near Evansville, Indiana

tdindy88

It's finished at the moment, from SR 62 to SR 66 and is a county road by ownership. Right now there aren't any plans to add more, but eventually it could be extended north to I-64.

tdindy88

My father and step-mom were in Evansville last week and saw this article on the local news concerning the future of the University Parkway:

http://www.14news.com/story/22201293/along-with-new-development-vanderburgh-co-could-be-involved-in-the-great-road-swap

The plans call for the possiblitiy, only possiblity at the moment, of INDOT taking over the parkway and extending it northward all the way to I-64 along with improving the interchange with the Lloyd Expressway (SR 62.) In exchange the state would give the city/county parts of SR 57, 66 and US 41. I suppose it would be interesting to see what comes of this if it ever becomes reality. Presumably, SR 57 would be truncated to the I-69 interchange north of I-64 (which some here are already calling for, myself included.) SR 66 could be rerouted onto University Pkwy south to the Lloyd and follow the Lloyd east across Evansville and US 41 would be rerouted along I-164/I-69 up to I-64 and then west to the current interchange with US 41. Maybe the northern half of the University Pkwy would become SR 65 and replace the current highway from SR 66 up to I-64. Again, all of this is merely speculation as this stuff is merely being studied at the moment, but it would effectively finish that western bypass that the University Pkwy was built for. Hey, maybe they could convert the whole thing into a freeway and call it...wait for it, I-164.

Alex

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 13, 2013, 12:49:04 PM
My father and step-mom were in Evansville last week and saw this article on the local news concerning the future of the University Parkway:

http://www.14news.com/story/22201293/along-with-new-development-vanderburgh-co-could-be-involved-in-the-great-road-swap

The plans call for the possiblitiy, only possiblity at the moment, of INDOT taking over the parkway and extending it northward all the way to I-64 along with improving the interchange with the Lloyd Expressway (SR 62.) In exchange the state would give the city/county parts of SR 57, 66 and US 41. I suppose it would be interesting to see what comes of this if it ever becomes reality. Presumably, SR 57 would be truncated to the I-69 interchange north of I-64 (which some here are already calling for, myself included.) SR 66 could be rerouted onto University Pkwy south to the Lloyd and follow the Lloyd east across Evansville and US 41 would be rerouted along I-164/I-69 up to I-64 and then west to the current interchange with US 41. Maybe the northern half of the University Pkwy would become SR 65 and replace the current highway from SR 66 up to I-64. Again, all of this is merely speculation as this stuff is merely being studied at the moment, but it would effectively finish that western bypass that the University Pkwy was built for. Hey, maybe they could convert the whole thing into a freeway and call it...wait for it, I-164.

The SR 66 relocation southward is more feasible as is a truncation of SR 57 northward. I do not care for the concept of US 41 facing a relocation onto I-164/Future I-69.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

silverback1065

I agree leave US 41 alone

tdindy88

Let me add for the record that I too am not for rerouting US 41, what I was mentioning was merely a guess of what they could do, but I think that's too much four-lane highway for the state to give up, plus it adds a few miles onto the highway and the state is typically trying to get rid of miles. I am also not a huge fan of rerouting SR 66 too, but I can see that happening if it does, and the SR 65 idea was just that as the article didn't even mention that highway. In any case, none of this is set in stone and probably won't be for some time, hell we're still trying to get I-69 shields in Evansville as it were. When my father was in Evansville he told me that they still have only I-64 shields at the I-164 interchanges.

Captain Jack

I think it would make sense for the parkway to be turned into SR 65 for the length of it. I don't think relocating US. 41 is a good idea, as it would make the Chicago-Nashville segment even more confusing. If INDOT can't do the common sense thing with swapping SR 63 and US 41 north of Terre Haute, they really shouldn't be worried about re-routing it around Evansville.

If INDOT really had some common sense, SR 62 and SR 66 would switch west of Evansville. This would allow the Lloyd Expressway to maintain the same route across the city as well as keep 62 and 66 aligned correctly. Yes, Mt. Vernon would have to get used to the new numbering, but most locals refer to it as the Lloyd anyway.

AS for the 69 shields in Evansville, I never would have thought we would see them in Bloomington before Evansville. Why doesn't INDOT go ahead and co-sign 69 along I-164? Might as well start getting used to it.

mukade

Quote from: Captain Jack on May 20, 2013, 08:16:30 PM
I think it would make sense for the parkway to be turned into SR 65 for the length of it. I don't think relocating US. 41 is a good idea, as it would make the Chicago-Nashville segment even more confusing. If INDOT can't do the common sense thing with swapping SR 63 and US 41 north of Terre Haute, they really shouldn't be worried about re-routing it around Evansville.

If INDOT really had some common sense, SR 62 and SR 66 would switch west of Evansville. This would allow the Lloyd Expressway to maintain the same route across the city as well as keep 62 and 66 aligned correctly. Yes, Mt. Vernon would have to get used to the new numbering, but most locals refer to it as the Lloyd anyway.

AS for the 69 shields in Evansville, I never would have thought we would see them in Bloomington before Evansville. Why doesn't INDOT go ahead and co-sign 69 along I-164? Might as well start getting used to it.

I agree on what you said on SR 65, and I also agree that I-69 should replace I-164 - that is really stupid.

As for US 41, I'd like to see that on I-164/I-69. Most anyone taking US 41 from points north through Evansville will take that route anyway so why pretend otherwise.

I agree  swapping SR 62 and SR 66 would be better than the current situation, but if you follow INDOT's policy, probably SR 62 and SR 66 would both be on the Lloyd Expressway from I-164 (I-69) to University Parkway. That is assuming U.P. would become a state road. I think INDOT wants as few non-freeway/non-expressways in cities as possible.

silverback1065

Quote from: mukade on May 20, 2013, 08:36:40 PM
Quote from: Captain Jack on May 20, 2013, 08:16:30 PM

I agree on what you said on SR 65, and I also agree that I-69 should replace I-164 - that is really stupid.

As for US 41, I'd like to see that on I-164/I-69. Most anyone taking US 41 from points north through Evansville will take that route anyway so why pretend otherwise.

I agree  swapping SR 62 and SR 66 would be better than the current situation, but if you follow INDOT's policy, probably SR 62 and SR 66 would both be on the Lloyd Expressway from I-164 (I-69) to University Parkway. That is assuming U.P. would become a state road. I think INDOT wants as few non-freeway/non-expressways in cities as possible.

I never understood why the Lloyd was two different routes on either side of 41, if it wasn't known locally as the Lloyd, it would be pretty confusing to navigate.  Also, why does SR 662 still exist? 

RoadWarrior56

I can provide a little history that may help answer your question.  Until November of 1976, which was about 10 years before the Lloyd was constructed, SR 66 used St. Joseph Avenue to enter Evansville from the northwest.  It then duplexed with SR 62 through Evansville to US 41, at which point it continued east via Division Street (later replaced by the Lloyd), while SR 62 followed US 41 north to Morgan Avenue.

The event that changed route designations was the decommisioning of US 460.  Until late '76, Diamond Avenue was US 460 between St. Joseph Ave and US 41.  When 460 was decommisioned, SR 66 was rerouted to follow Diamond Avenue, eliminating its routing through the center of Evansville.  Initially St. Joseph Ave. was designated SR 65 until that street was eventually decommisioned.  But that is how the routing through Evansville was split between two different route numbers.

Captain Jack

When the highways were orginally routed, SR 66 entered Evansville from the east on Newburgh Road/Lincoln Ave  to US 41/Kentucky Ave. Sr 62 entered on Old Boonville Highway to US 41, both used Franklin and Virginia Street across town, SR 66 proceeded NW out Harmony Way while SR 62 went south on Barker, then W on Broadway towards Mt. Vernon.

It still never really answers why these routes were crossed for the 20 or so miles west of Evansville towards Illinois. To stay correct, 62 should have stayed north of 66. Curious what the logic for that was.

mukade

Quote from: Captain Jack on May 22, 2013, 12:24:46 AM
When the highways were orginally routed, SR 66 entered Evansville from the east on Newburgh Road/Lincoln Ave  to US 41/Kentucky Ave. Sr 62 entered on Old Boonville Highway to US 41, both used Franklin and Virginia Street across town, SR 66 proceeded NW out Harmony Way while SR 62 went south on Barker, then W on Broadway towards Mt. Vernon.

It still never really answers why these routes were crossed for the 20 or so miles west of Evansville towards Illinois. To stay correct, 62 should have stayed north of 66. Curious what the logic for that was.

Look at SR 66 in its entirety, but especially at the east end. Does that route make sense at all? SR 62 does its share of wandering as well.

As for the question of SR 66 being north of SR 62, why is SR 68 north of SR 66? Why is SR 58 north of SR 56?

Captain Jack

Quote from: mukade on May 22, 2013, 06:34:09 AM

Look at SR 66 in its entirety, but especially at the east end. Does that route make sense at all? SR 62 does its share of wandering as well.

As for the question of SR 66 being north of SR 62, why is SR 68 north of SR 66? Why is SR 58 north of SR 56?

It certainly isn't the only example of this. I am just pointing out that this particular case, it seems pretty deliberate to switch these routes west of Evansville. While I am certain we won't know the answer, I find it an interesting question. Did Mt. Vernon insist on being on the same route as Boonville? I am pretty sure 95% of the residents of Mt. Vernon consider themselves on the same road as Newburgh.

We may never get the reason why this was done, but I would love to hear INDOT's response on why this hasn't been or can't be corrected.

Captain Jack

Another thought I had in regards to relocating US 41 over to I-164, 69. The road currently has no other name. At one time, I think it was known as Dixie Bee Highway, but since the 70's, when the current route was relocated from the Kentucky Ave/Fares Ave alignment, it has never had a name other than US 41.

I think if it should happen, then INDOT should allow some time for a name to be chosen, and get people used to the name for awhile before realigning the route.

mukade

I sorta like "Old US 41".

Captain Jack

I think it will still be too busy of a thoroughfare to simply call it Old 41.  Regardless of route designation, it will still be a highway for a large percentage of Evansville area residents to get north or south on. Considering the state gave the old US 231 alignment from Reo to Owensboro a state route number, I would assume the same would happen here.

Regardless, i would like to see Dixie Bee Highway returned. I am afraid it will end up with some politicians name on it.

Grzrd

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 13, 2013, 12:49:04 PM
The plans call for the possiblitiy, only possiblity at the moment, of INDOT taking over the parkway and extending it northward all the way to I-64 along with improving the interchange with the Lloyd Expressway (SR 62.) ...

This article reports on a recent symposium in which the possible extension of University Parkway to I-64 was discussed:

The final segment of University Parkway between the Lloyd Expressway and Indiana 66 (Diamond Avenue) opened to motorists in mid-2012 and plans call for the construction of a 9-mile stretch that would connect the corridor to Interstate 64, providing a much-needed gateway to Posey County and the western edge of Vanderburgh County. But until the estimated $50 million in funding needed to complete the project is secured, the project will remain stalled. ....
Perhaps the most significant impact of the eventual completion of University Parkway between the Lloyd Expressway and Interstate 64 will be on transportation and logistics. There are currently only three north-south routes connecting the Evansville-area communities to the daily commercial traffic that crosses Interstate 64: Interstate 164 (Interstate 69), U.S. 41, and Indiana 65 (Big Cynthiana Road). The addition of a fourth gateway to these already heavily traveled routes is critical to continued economic growth in the region. ....
Discussions at the symposium identified three key take-aways: a.) the need for continued regional collaboration; b.) the need for a complete, comprehensive strategic plan for the University Parkway area; and c.) commitment from the community and its leaders to a timely and well-planned completion of the Parkway.

The Great Whamini

A lot of ranches, mansions, and high-end real estate would be impacted.  A lot of hilly, wooded terrain needs to be tamed.  I foresee a lot of rich opposition to the project when the time comes.  However, there is a corridor of decommissioned railroad cutting diagonally SE to NW that the extension could supplant (on a wider scale, of course).
"Don't get your kidney stones in a rock slide"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.