News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-49 construction (Shreveport to Arkansas line) moving along very nicely

Started by lamsalfl, January 20, 2010, 04:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamsalfl

http://www.dotd.la.gov/administration/public_info/projects/i49north/map.pdf

There's a map of the route.  Much of the route has been funded (green segments) and much of the route should be open by 2012.  If anyone has Rand McNally contacts, they should let them know that the Arkansas to Hosston segments (9.6 miles) will be finished this year and need to be on the 2011 Rand McNally as completed, and broken Rand blue to show the u/c segments between LA 1 and LA 170.  Hey, they did it for I-74 in SE NC!

leifvanderwall

I think it's great that the project is moving along, but is Arkansas anxious enough to link the freeway up to Fort Smith to eventually replace I-540 with I-49 signs?

shoptb1

Quote from: leifvanderwall on January 20, 2010, 09:44:39 AM
I think it's great that the project is moving along, but is Arkansas anxious enough to link the freeway up to Fort Smith to eventually replace I-540 with I-49 signs?

I'm pretty sure the cost of sign replacement is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall logistical cost of building 180 miles of interstate-grade facility from Texarkana to Fort Smith for I-49.  As opposed to building I-40 from Memphis to Little Rock, this section of Arkansas is not a flat rice field, and will involve some difficult terrain.  I was, however, glad to see that AHTD is moving forward with right-of-way for construction of some bridges/ramps for the connection with I-49 at AR-22 near Barling.

US71

Quote from: leifvanderwall on January 20, 2010, 09:44:39 AM

They tried that a couple years ago. Arkansas and Missouri wanted to post I-49 signs along the completed sections, but AASHTO said "no".
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mgk920

What, if anything, is the latest on the potential segment between I-220 and I-20?

Mike

lamsalfl

Quote from: mgk920 on January 20, 2010, 10:59:57 PM
What, if anything, is the latest on the potential segment between I-220 and I-20?

Mike

Looks like from that pdf map that it is unfunded right now.  However, since it looks like 80% of the route is funded, I assume they are working on the gap.  Also, the planning is underway for the connector through Shreveport north of I-20.  I-49 is no longer planned to ride I-220.  If you look at an aerial, there really isn't THAT much that will have to be bulldozed in the city.

Scott5114

Of course, once LA finishes its stretch, and AR gets everything between LA and Texarkana done, it should be a breeze to get I-49 extended to I-30.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 21, 2010, 07:38:42 AM
Of course, once LA finishes its stretch, and AR gets everything between LA and Texarkana done, it should be a breeze to get I-49 extended to I-30.

They're working on that:

This is future I-130 (which eventually is supposed to be I-49) just northeast of Texarkana.

mgk920

Quote from: lamsalfl on January 21, 2010, 02:20:05 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on January 20, 2010, 10:59:57 PM

Mike

Looks like from that pdf map that it is unfunded right now.  However, since it looks like 80% of the route is funded, I assume they are working on the gap.  Also, the planning is underway for the connector through Shreveport north of I-20.  I-49 is no longer planned to ride I-220.  If you look at an aerial, there really isn't THAT much that will have to be bulldozed in the city.
Yea, I note that the high-res Google aerial image of the I-20/49 interchange area shows what looks like a complex of public housing buildings right across from the ends of the ghost ramps at the north end of that interchange and the Bing image (likely a bit newer), shows all of those buildings *GONE* and the land vacant.

Mike

US71

Quote from: lamsalfl on January 20, 2010, 04:15:40 AM
http://www.dotd.la.gov/administration/public_info/projects/i49north/map.pdf

There's a map of the route.  Much of the route has been funded (green segments) and much of the route should be open by 2012.  If anyone has Rand McNally contacts, they should let them know that the Arkansas to Hosston segments (9.6 miles) will be finished this year and need to be on the 2011 Rand McNally as completed, and broken Rand blue to show the u/c segments between LA 1 and LA 170.

I doubt it will be done this year. I was just through there in November and they have a long way to go; This is near Mira:

This is LA 168 near Ida

On LA 2 there is nothing going on at all.

I think some of that is wishful thinking on Louisiana's part. It could happen, but I have my doubts.

And what will happen when they get to Arkansas? It will be a dead-end.
Miller County 2 is just now being cleared of brush. Finishing the 549/71 interchange looks at least 2 years away (just now starting on it).

Revive 755

Quote from: US71 on January 20, 2010, 09:47:59 PM
They tried that a couple years ago. Arkansas and Missouri wanted to post I-49 signs along the completed sections, but AASHTO said "no".

Lousy AASHTO, trying to confuse people in the future when I-540 does change to I-49 - I'm sure there will be a few incorrect signs or verbal directions when the change occurs giving directions to a phantom I-540 in Fayetteville.

Alps

I'll be through there in February.  I'll try to remember to report my findings back through this thread (following US 71 from Shreveport to I-540).

lamsalfl

I had no idea about the junction with I-30.  That's good news that work is underway.  I wasn't sure how they diamond interchange with 245 was going to work, but I see now that they are building a new interchange east of that diamond.  Good stuff.

Anthony_JK

In fact, the planning for what will be called the I-49 Inner City Connector is well underway.  Here's the official DOTD website:

http://www.i49shreveport.com

They've already had two public meetings on this Phase 0 preliminary study.....after the third hearing scheduled later this spring, an EIS is planned and then the only issue will be funding.  This segment may even get built before any part of I-49 South between Lafayette and New Orleans does.

Anthony

lamsalfl

Yea, I note that the high-res Google aerial image of the I-20/49 interchange area shows what looks like a complex of public housing buildings right across from the ends of the ghost ramps at the north end of that interchange and the Bing image (likely a bit newer), shows all of those buildings *GONE* and the land vacant.

Mike

When you mentioned that, I called up googlemaps and Bing and found more structures removed north of those projects you found.  So it looks like the expropriations are underway, as more houses have been removed.

mgk920

Quote from: lamsalfl on January 22, 2010, 01:19:23 AM

Mike

When you mentioned that, I called up googlemaps and Bing and found more structures removed north of those projects you found.  So it looks like the expropriations are underway, as more houses have been removed.
I forgot to mention in that above posting that in addition to the public housing complex being gone in the Bing image, about half of those 'shotgun' shacks between that complex and the interchange in the Google image are also missing from the Bing image.

;-)

Mike

sr641

I am exited to see that Louisiana is working very hard on finishing I-49. Does anyone know when the section of I-49 between Lafayette and New Orleans is going to get finished.
Isaac

Anthony_JK

Quote from: sr641 on May 10, 2012, 08:24:07 PM
I am exited to see that Louisiana is working very hard on finishing I-49. Does anyone know when the section of I-49 between Lafayette and New Orleans is going to get finished.

Given the current level of funding, I'd say right around 2140.

/sarcasm

Anthony

mcdonaat

Quote from: Anthony_JK on May 10, 2012, 09:57:21 PM

/sarcasm

Anthony
I betcha that the DOTD is more willing to complete I-49 North as a connector, then focusing its efforts on I-49 South. I'd prefer to see 49 completed to I-30 before anything else... anyone thought about renaming I-49 South as I-10S, and 10 thru BR as I-10N?

nexus73

Given that having I-49 completed from NOLA to Lafayette would enable a better evacuation of SE Louisiana when the next big hurricane inevitably hits, I would give that section priority.  However this freeway is more about funding or lack thereof than any sort of "being prepared" deal.

Rick 
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

lamsalfl

Quote from: mcdonaat on May 15, 2012, 11:42:06 AM

/sarcasm

Anthony
I betcha that the DOTD is more willing to complete I-49 North as a connector, then focusing its efforts on I-49 South. I'd prefer to see 49 completed to I-30 before anything else... anyone thought about renaming I-49 South as I-10S, and 10 thru BR as I-10N?

No.  I-10 can remain, and I-49 can be extended to N.O. It's really not that big of a deal.

roadman65

I was talking with locals in Houma last year and many do not seem too confident that I-49 will be a reality anytime soon in that region.  Most had the attitude that they (meaning the officials) have been saying that for years now.  "I'll believe it when I see it" one was telling me when I visited there last Spring.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

austrini

I was in Caddo Parish today, its all complete from the Arkansas state line a significant distance southward. There isnt any construction equipment around, it just basically needs signs/painting.

Pics:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/fatguyinalittlecoat/7281488882/in/photostream
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

roadman65

Quote from: lamsalfl on May 17, 2012, 10:43:52 PM

/sarcasm

Anthony

No.  I-10 can remain, and I-49 can be extended to N.O. It's really not that big of a deal.

According to a note on last year's official LA Highway map it stated that the purpose of I-49 to be all the way to New Orleans is to link Canada with the Gulf of Mexico Ports in NO. 

I myself traveled US 71 through Arkansas and believe me a freeway upgrade is needed badly.  US 71 is not a bad road, but it consumes so much time.   It took me all day to drive from Joplin, MO to New Orleans back in 01.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Anthony_JK

[...] I betcha that the DOTD is more willing to complete I-49 North as a connector, then focusing its efforts on I-49 South. I'd prefer to see 49 completed to I-30 before anything else... anyone thought about renaming I-49 South as I-10S, and 10 thru BR as I-10N?

Ummm...I-49 North is pretty much complete and fully funded, other than the ICC segment in Shreveport between I-20 and I-220.

I-49 South's main competition for funding isn't I-49 North...it's the Baton Rouge Loop and I-69. And NO, don't bring back suffixes for Interstate highways.

When I-49 is ultimately extended to Fort Smith and the existing I-540/US 71 corridor from there through NW AR and MO is converted, the east-west segment from Lafayette to NOLA won't be as much a stuck-out thumb. So, for continunity's sake, and connecting NOLA and the South Louisiana ports to another major N/S route, I'd stay the course.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.