News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Restricted Highways

Started by agentsteel53, October 06, 2009, 11:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on October 06, 2009, 07:02:07 AM
Yes it's allowed.  Consider, in part, that Defense was an integral part of the Interstate's creation.

are there any interstate highways that are restricted?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

Permanently, no...unless you want to make the argument that I-185 does extend down into Fort Benning, in which case the gate is before you get to the first of the 2.5 interchanges.

I-564, which Mike mentioned, and which I'm intimately familiar with (having been stationed in Norfolk for 3.5 years) does not, since I-564 does not directly enter the base and regular traffic can continue along Taussig Blvd and make the turn onto Hampton Blvd (VA 337), or vice versa.

On a temporary basis, yes it's happened.  For a period after Katrina hit, there were stretches of I-10 and I-59 in Mississippi that were restricted to military convoys and official relief/recovery vehicles only.

vdeane

Quote from: AlpsROADS on October 05, 2009, 10:25:09 PM
I've clinched a few routes (especially in MD) just by U-turning at the gates.  The only route I know of that extends into the establishment itself is NJ 68 and Fort Dix.
Sadly U turns are illegal in New York.  Hopefully just going as far as US 11 will be enough to consider [the new I-781 to Fort Drum] clinched.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

Quote from: deanej on October 06, 2009, 05:31:09 PM
U turns are illegal in New York. 

how on earth are you supposed to check intersections and side streets for old signs???

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

For surface streets, pull into a driveway and turn back onto the road.  K turns are also allowed if there's little traffic.  For freeways you have to get off at the next exit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

Quote from: deanej on October 06, 2009, 05:37:55 PM
For surface streets, pull into a driveway and turn back onto the road.  K turns are also allowed if there's little traffic.  For freeways you have to get off at the next exit.

I think "no u-turns on the freeway" is universal everywhere in the US.  But you can't make a u-turn at a green light from the left lane?  What's the rationale behind that law?

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

Not sure; there are some divided highways that do allow them (these are signed).  Probably has to due with NYC somehow; they control our government.

oscar

Interstate H-3 technically ends just short of the Marine Corps base gate.  You can do a legal U-turn right in front of the gate.  Or better still, a legal right turn into the parking area for the replica Iwo Jima memorial, then on exiting take a left turn in front of the gate onto westbound H-3.

But I've done the "I'm lost" gambit to clinch other highways, such as Hawaii state route 92, which has two west ends, one at the Pearl Harbor Navy Base main gate, the other a spur into Hickam Air Force Base main gate.  Since it's so easy for confused tourists to miss the last exit before either base's gate, the guards were nice about turning me around.  
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

agentsteel53

I didn't feel like doing a U-turn in front of the Marine base - that I felt would look far too suspicious! 

I managed to clinch I-29 by turning around at the "last possible US turnaround" point.  I still had to go through US customs!  :banghead:  They interrogated me for an hour because they couldn't figure out why someone wanted to see the end of I-29 at 4 in the morning. 

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

The U-turns in question were far from suspicious... I'm coming down a four-lane highway, there's the gate, and there's a wide patch of pavement in the median.  If they didn't want U-turns, why have all the pavement to do it?  Re: NY - how is a K turn different from a U turn as far as the law is concerned?  Are they outlawing cars with good turning radii?

mgk920

Quote from: froggie on October 06, 2009, 12:33:22 PM
Permanently, no...unless you want to make the argument that I-185 does extend down into Fort Benning, in which case the gate is before you get to the first of the 2.5 interchanges.

I've always thought that the south end of I-185 should be redirected to feed directly into US 27/280 (Victory Bd) and vice-versa with the Fort Benning main gate access becoming a trumpet spur off of that - especially since I-185 was blocked off completely at US 27/280 when I was poking around in that area back in June of 2004.

Mike

vdeane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 06, 2009, 06:07:47 PM
I didn't feel like doing a U-turn in front of the Marine base - that I felt would look far too suspicious! 

I managed to clinch I-29 by turning around at the "last possible US turnaround" point.  I still had to go through US customs!  :banghead:  They interrogated me for an hour because they couldn't figure out why someone wanted to see the end of I-29 at 4 in the morning. 
Don't try clinching any interstates that end in an international border in NY then - we don't have those here, so you'd have to go through Canadian customs as well.

I really don't know why NY doesn't like U turns.  They are the safest type of turnaround, after all.

SSOWorld

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 06, 2009, 06:07:47 PM

Thankfully there are only five interstates ending on the Canadian border - I've gotten one (I-75) with some wondering by the customs agent (well before 9/11)

Anyone have trouble on the Mexican border?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

deathtopumpkins

I think there are some local VA and US highways that enter military bases, but I'm not sure. Namely VA-278 (Langley AFB) and US-258 (Ft. Monroe). On VA-278, there is an intersection you can turn around in RIGHT in front of the gate, but US-258 has a bridge leading to the gate, so I haven't ventured out there yet, as I don't particularly feel like an interrogation.  :rolleyes:
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: mgk920 on October 06, 2009, 08:45:54 PM
Quote from: froggie on October 06, 2009, 12:33:22 PM

I've always thought that the south end of I-185 should be redirected to feed directly into US 27/280 (Victory Bd) and vice-versa with the Fort Benning main gate access becoming a trumpet spur off of that - especially since I-185 was blocked off completely at US 27/280 when I was poking around in that area back in June of 2004.

While it's not necessarily "proof", there was an "End I-185" sign at the US27/280 overpass, outside the Fort Benning main gate in January 2006.  I figure that's good enough to say that I clinched I-185 that day...twice.

Speaking of restricted interstates -- is I-66 still limited to HOV and Dulles-bound SOV's inside the beltway during commute hours?

agentsteel53

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on October 06, 2009, 11:08:34 PM

Speaking of restricted interstates -- is I-66 still limited to HOV and Dulles-bound SOV's inside the beltway during commute hours?

how do they determine if you are going to Dulles?

jake@aaroads.com

DanTheMan414

Quote from: Master son on October 06, 2009, 10:14:59 PM
Thankfully there are only five interstates ending on the Canadian border - I've gotten one (I-75) with some wondering by the customs agent (well before 9/11)

Just curious, did you mean the 5 that end at the Canadian Border at a bridge (I-75, I-69, I-94, I-190 & I-81)?  Otherwise, there are 12 Interstates that end at the Canadian Border altogether (the five previously listed plus I-5, I-15, I-29, I-87, I-89, I-91 & I-95).

agentsteel53

oh sweet Jesus, don't talk to me about Derby Line (the I-91 terminus).

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

QuoteI think there are some local VA and US highways that enter military bases, but I'm not sure. Namely VA-278 (Langley AFB) and US-258 (Ft. Monroe). On VA-278, there is an intersection you can turn around in RIGHT in front of the gate, but US-258 has a bridge leading to the gate, so I haven't ventured out there yet, as I don't particularly feel like an interrogation.

Several US and VA highways come close or up to the edge of military bases, but none that I'm aware of actually enter a base, although histocially both US 60 and US 258 entered what is now "base territory" (Pendleton for 60 and Monroe for 258).

QuoteSpeaking of restricted interstates -- is I-66 still limited to HOV and Dulles-bound SOV's inside the beltway during commute hours?

Yes it is.  I don't see that changing.

Quotehow do they determine if you are going to Dulles?

By whether you exit to or enter from VA 267.

Quoteoh sweet Jesus, don't talk to me about Derby Line (the I-91 terminus).

Why not?  Only took me 5 minutes last time I went through...

oscar

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 06, 2009, 11:13:07 PM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on October 06, 2009, 11:08:34 PM

how do they determine if you are going to Dulles?

They enforce the HOV restrictions at all the entrances/exits except the last one, for Dulles Airport itself.  So if you're traveling I-66 alone out to Dulles airport during the afternoon rush, you should be safe so long as you go direcly to the airport via I-66 and the Dulles Airport access; but you could get nabbed if you take any exit before the airport.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ctsignguy

Quote from: froggie on October 07, 2009, 05:57:40 AM

Quoteoh sweet Jesus, don't talk to me about Derby Line (the I-91 terminus).

Why not?  Only took me 5 minutes last time I went through...

i remember THAT LJ post....Jake had a HELLUVA time that day....but i'll let him tell THAT tale (it is too strange for school, as Hadji would say)

here in Ohio, there arent any interstates that end ina  military base...but there is an exit (15) off I-675 that allows you to exit at Col. Glenn Hwy before you run into the nice guards at Wright Field...and just up the road, Ohio 844 ends just before it crosses into Wright-Patt's main area (the route technically ends at the OH 444 exit, but the road itself continues on for another thousand feet or so to the gates...
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Hot Rod Hootenanny

When I did my first "Southern" roadtrip 10 years ago, I absentmindedly decided to follow MS 32 east from US 61 in Shelby over to US 49(W).  I say absentmindedly for two reasons; first MS 32 doesn't really exist between US 61 & 49(W), second, I "stumbled" onto the "back" entrance to Parchman Farms, aka Mississippi State Prison.
Anyways, I came upon the gate to Parchman and I was going to turn around and go back to Shelby.  The guard there stopped me (Why would some whiteboy, with out-of-state plates be making a U-turn in the middle-of-nowhere).  I used my favorite excuse when stopped (school project, at that time Ohio St.), and the guard decided that I was harmless enough to let me drive through Parchman Farms.  Just don't stop till you get to the front gate and don't speed.

So while MS 32 isn't technically a restricted highway, you can (if you play your cards right), drive through restricted space in Mississippi.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jdb1234

AL 255 ends at Redstone Arsenal Gate 9.  There are a couple state highways that end at gates into Fort Rucker.

allniter89

I believe DE 10 ends at the North Gate of Dover Air Force Base at the junction of US 113 aka Bay Rd and DE 10.
It appears FL 397 runs thru Eglin AFB (marked as Eglin Blvd on EAFB) via the North Gate in Valparaiso and the Main Gate near the FL 189/FL85 jct.
It also appears FL 189 ends at the Main Gate of Eglin AFB.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on October 06, 2009, 10:18:52 PM
I think there are some local VA and US highways that enter military bases, but I'm not sure. Namely VA-278 (Langley AFB) and US-258 (Ft. Monroe). On VA-278, there is an intersection you can turn around in RIGHT in front of the gate, but US-258 has a bridge leading to the gate, so I haven't ventured out there yet, as I don't particularly feel like an interrogation.  :rolleyes:

I can't imagine what VA 143's northern end must be like. I've gone up there to try to take photos of its northern terminus, then changed my mind each time because I don't exactly want to invoke the wrath of the CIA. The advance end signage at VA 132 is enough for me. :p
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.