News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Norman Senator Suggests Raising Speed Limit On Turner Turnpike to 80 MPH

Started by Scott5114, August 13, 2014, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

The politicians are normally the ones who want it lowered. Do we finally have one that's different?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1 on August 13, 2014, 06:19:48 PM
The politicians are normally the ones who want it lowered. Do we finally have one that's different?

Politicians want what gets them votes, so, no, not different.

rte66man

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 13, 2014, 06:16:35 PM
http://www.news9.com/story/25995837/norman-senator-suggests-raising-speed-limit-on-turner-turnpike

OTA is against it, saying the turnpike wasn't designed for 80 MPH.

I would agree with that as the ups and downs on the hills are too steep for most trucks, thereby creating a large speed differential between semis and cars.  If they would agree to widen it to at least 6 lanes, then I would be for it.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

A lot of comments I have read about this have said that 80 is too fast and they are wanting to LOWER it.  US 66 is there for those who can't handle the turnpike.

rte66man

Made two round trips from OKC to Tulsa and back in the last 10 days.  Good weather meant i could get a better feel for this discussion.  Once I thought it through, I would stay with my opinion that 80 will create too much of a speed differential.  I lost count of the times a semi pulled out into the "not as slow" lane right in front of me causing me to hit the brakes.  Assuming most companies will keep their 65-70 max speed restrictions on trucks, there will be more accidents IMO.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

It should be against the law for a trucking company to govern their trucks to a speed lower than 75 MPH.

rte66man

Quote from: bugo on August 24, 2014, 08:22:56 AM
It should be against the law for a trucking company to govern their trucks to a speed lower than 75 MPH.

The problem is the legal minimum is 50 on the Turner.  How would you have a law prohibiting a speed between 50 and 80? How would you enforce your new law?

-Yogi Berra

vdeane

Quote from: rte66man on August 24, 2014, 10:01:40 PM

The problem is the legal minimum is 50 on the Turner.  How would you have a law prohibiting a speed between 50 and 80? How would you enforce your new law?
Huh?  He wasn't saying "make it illegal for trucks to travel at speeds slower than 75", he was saying "make it illegal for trucks to be forced to travel below 75 by some stupid device the company installs/mandates".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

rte66man

Quote from: vdeane on August 25, 2014, 09:36:49 PM

Huh?  He wasn't saying "make it illegal for trucks to travel at speeds slower than 75", he was saying "make it illegal for trucks to be forced to travel below 75 by some stupid device the company installs/mandates".

And.... how would that be enforced?

-Yogi Berra

DJStephens

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 13, 2014, 06:16:35 PM
http://www.news9.com/story/25995837/norman-senator-suggests-raising-speed-limit-on-turner-turnpike

OTA is against it, saying the turnpike wasn't designed for 80 MPH.

For 80 MPH, the road needs to be completely reconstructed, which it should be.  Deepen the cuts, add to the fills, 12 - 16 ft shoulders, LH shoulder, catchment cables, and increase the median width to the standard rural 88 feet!   

vdeane

Quote from: rte66man on August 26, 2014, 06:57:07 PM

Presumably the same way any other business regulation is enforced.  Possibly via the annual vehicle inspection (do trucks have them just like cars?).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

signalman

Quote from: vdeane on August 27, 2014, 12:56:33 PM
Possibly via the annual vehicle inspection (do trucks have them just like cars?).
I don't know of any state that inspects semis on a state level.  State police do perform random roadside inspections of both the truck and driver.  They're also checked at weight stations.  However, do remember that vehicle inspections for cars vary state to state.  Some states check safety and emissions, some only check one or the other.  Some like your state of NY and neighboring PA have a state wide safety check, but only check emissions in certain more populous counties.  While other states have no inspection whatsoever.

Scott5114

I would imagine governors are put on trucks at the behest of insurance companies. If they were unlawful, the insurance companies would stop providing incentives to install them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rte66man

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 27, 2014, 08:05:13 PM
I would imagine governors are put on trucks at the behest of insurance companies. If they were unlawful, the insurance companies would stop providing incentives to install them.

I wish I could remember the source, but I read that governors were installed because of the extra fuel cost for driving faster.

-Yogi Berra

robbones

Quote from: rte66man on August 29, 2014, 01:35:24 PM

I wish I could remember the source, but I read that governors were installed because of the extra fuel cost for driving faster.

As a truck driver, I can assure you that the governors are for fuel savings. Most companies are governed between 60-65, while a few are as low as 55.

robbones

Quote from: vdeane on August 27, 2014, 12:56:33 PM
Quote from: rte66man on August 26, 2014, 06:57:07 PM

Presumably the same way any other business regulation is enforced.  Possibly via the annual vehicle inspection (do trucks have them just like cars?).

Trucks must have an Annual Safety Inspection done in accordance to FMCSR.

Brandon

Quote from: robbones on October 01, 2014, 11:04:37 PM
Quote from: rte66man on August 29, 2014, 01:35:24 PM

As a truck driver, I can assure you that the governors are for fuel savings. Most companies are governed between 60-65, while a few are as low as 55.

Those ones governed to 55 mph are skirting the law if they're on a Michigan freeway signed for 70 mph for cars (60 mph for trucks).  The minimum on those is 55 mph.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.