News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

124 Photos from AZ loop 303

Started by pumpkineater2, January 28, 2016, 06:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pumpkineater2

I drove up and down the whole length of Arizona's Loop 303 yesterday, to check out the final phase of a project to upgrade it to a freeway, and to photograph the completed sections as well. Enjoy!

Going northbound:

Just south of Thomas road, shortly after coming off the ramp from I-10 west

Pasing under Thomas road

Approaching Indian school road

Pasing over Indian school road

approaching Camelback road

Exit for Camelback road

Passing over Camelback

The extra lane on the right is for the Northern parkway exit

Wildlife World zoo In the backround

See cheetahs and sea lions now!

Exit for Northern ave. , approaching Northern Parkway

Northern parkway in the distance

Exit for northern Parkway

Ramp to Northern Parkway

approaching Waddell road

Passing over Waddell road

Loop 303 North marker

The rubberized asphalt ends here at Greenway road, along with the left lane

Grand ave. coming right up...

Cool design on the walls

What's that? Could it be?

No!

Nooooo!

Crossing the new bridge over US-60/Grand Ave. Notice the big sound wall on the right.

Between Grand & El mirage road, the freeway is mostly complete, as you can see here. The freeway has also lost its median

Large power lines to the north

Mile markers and signage is in place

Traffic is routed along the future northbound off/on ramp for El mirage road

Down the future off ramp

Temporary traffic signals

Up the future on ramp

Happy valley pkwy., vistancia blvd. 1 mile

Electrical substation

The freeway resumes here. Woohoo!

Exit for Happy valley pkwy., vistancia blvd. From here to I-17, loop 303 is four lanes.

Lone Mountain Pkwy. 1 1/2 miles.

Passing over Lone Mountain Pkwy.

Yes, you're STILL on loop 303

Signage for Lake Pleasant Parkway

This bridge passes over the Agua Fria river which is connected to Lake Pleasant

Exit for Lake Pleasant Pkwy.

Passing under Lake Pleasant Pkwy

Watch for burros! They're literally everywhere, or so I hear.

Here there will be a future interchange with 67th ave. The roadway in this picture is actually the future on and off ramps.

Approaching I-17. The freeway ends soon and loop 303 continues to I-17 as Sonoran Desert drive.

Look! A VMS!

Freeway ends

Pick a lane

An underpass built in preparation for the ramp from loop 303 East to I-17 North, if the Full freeway to freeway interchange ever gets built.

Turn right for Phoenix, turn left for Flagstaff. Sonoran desert Dr. is being extended east of I-17 at the time this photo was taken.

I'm going to take a break for now, and I'll post the West/southbound pictures later.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

pumpkineater2

Okay, here are the southbound photos.

Beginning of Sonoran Desert drive west

You're on loop 303 west- watch out for burros!

Freeway begins!

What a beautiful Arizona day and landscape

Traffic is very light on this portion of the 303. I'm sure there was at least a half a mile of space between traffic in front of and behind me- It's pretty nice having that much space all to yourself on a freeway.

Westbound exit for Lake Pleasant Parkway

Beautiful concrete ribbons...

Here there will be a future interchange with a street of which I don't know the name.

It appears that the future street is planned to cross the freeway on an overpass

About to cross the agua fria River again

Loop 303 turns to the south just west of the river

Freeway ends, 1 mile

Happy valley Pkwy exit- Road work ahead!

Back to two way traffic. The westbound carriageway sits empty for now.

Some fresh concrete has just been pored for the westbound carriageway, just west of El Mirage road

Construction vehicles and equipment

Enormous crane

Mileages for Grand ave. & Bell road

Currently, all access to US-60 is via what will eventually become a loop ramp from SB loop 303 to US-60

Water truck wetting the soil

approaching the end of the construction zone

Back to the freeway once again. sorry about the glare in these photos- I was driving south.

After emerging from the confines of soundwalls, you can easily see downtown Phoenix(though its almost impossible to see in this photo), about 23 miles away, as well as the University of Phoenix stadium.

Northern parkway- 1 mile

From one overpass to the next...

Ramp to eastbound Northern Pkwy

Northern Parkway is visible to the east

Passing over Northern ave.

Next three exits:

Passing over Bethany Home road

Approaching Indian School road and Interstate 10

loop 303 is planned to be constructed south of I-10 to Van Buren street, with construction starting in early 2016 and finishing sometime in 2017, and from there, it is planned to be constructed to the proposed SR-30 freeway, with construction anticipated to begin in 2023 and conclude in 2024. For now though, it ends at I-10.

Crews were busy with landscaping, at the time of this photo.

Charging up the ramp to I-10 eastbound

Descending down the same ramp

Interstate 10 eastbound

swbrotha100

Great pics! Can't wait to see the finished product between Grand and Happy Valley.

ModernDayWarrior

Very nice pics! It's sorta trippy seeing a totally empty freeway like that. And I really like the desert scenery.

pumpkineater2

Quote from: ModernDayWarrior on January 30, 2016, 02:26:58 AM
Very nice pics! It's sorta trippy seeing a totally empty freeway like that. And I really like the desert scenery.

Yeah, it's odd that that section doesn't see more traffic, since it has been open since 2011. I would think that more people would know about it by now. But perhaps people don't realize that it's a quicker route to the west valley, because there are no control cities on the signs for loop 303 on I-17.

hm insulators

My mother lives not far from those giant power lines; last month I had the occasion to use the stretch between Happy Valley and El Mirage as I had eaten at a nearby restaurant recently featured on "Check Please! Arizona."
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

SimMoonXP

Good pictures! When will the Loop 303 segment to be complete for Grand Avenue (US-60)? Looks like road construction mess nearby that intersection!

xcellntbuy

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.