News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

San Antonio: Newly posted depiction of I-10E/I-410 interchange plans

Started by MaxConcrete, February 12, 2016, 08:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxConcrete

https://youtu.be/fgeWhX30AbI

I believe this will be the first five-level interchange in San Antonio, with both directions of frontage roads going through and intersecting. An interesting feature is the extra-long connection ramp on 410 northbound north of the interchange.

I don't know when this might proceed to construction. If anyone knows the status, please advise.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Chris

Here's a screenshot:

They also seem to be widening the median to accommodate a future expansion.

US 81

Looks great, although I did note that the video uses signage for US 581. 581? Both US 181 and 281 are further south on 410 and don't run thru this interchange, right?

Also, the comment on the video refers to the conversion of two-way frontage roads to one-way use. Where? I'm not seeing any on maps to be converted, and I thought all the urban areas only had one-way frontage roads.

Still, looking forward to this project. I don't get to San Antonio very often, but I enjoy the drive when I do.

kre3d

More info here:
http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/sat/notices/020916-presentation.pdf
http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/sat/notices/020916-schematic-1.pdf
http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/sat/notices/020916-schematic-2.pdf

The presentation mentions possible 2018 construction for an initial phase of the project.

The project calls for a continuous-flow intersection at W.W. White Rd like those in San Marcos. That would be the first CFI in San Antonio. (A CFI is also proposed at Loop 1604 and SH 16. I'm unsure of the status of that project)

Quote from: MaxConcrete on February 12, 2016, 08:48:39 PM
I believe this will be the first five-level interchange in San Antonio, with both directions of frontage roads going through and intersecting.
The US 281 / Loop 1604 interchange is five-level, though incomplete.

There is a project in the works to build tolled direct connectors at I-10 / Loop 1604. That interchange would also be five-level. It's scheduled to let in 2017, before this project. However the MPO is working on de-tolling the project. That may push back the let date pending additional funds.

Quote from: US 81 on February 13, 2016, 06:21:47 AM
Looks great, although I did note that the video uses signage for US 581. 581? Both US 181 and 281 are further south on 410 and don't run thru this interchange, right?
Yeah, pretty big WTF there. The exit number for the interchange is 581. I guess somebody mixed that up and turned it into a US 581 shield.

Also, the comment on the video refers to the conversion of two-way frontage roads to one-way use. Where? I'm not seeing any on maps to be converted, and I thought all the urban areas only had one-way frontage roads.
The frontage road northwest of the cloverleaf is two way.

US 81

Quote from: kre3d on February 13, 2016, 12:25:36 PM

The frontage road northwest of the cloverleaf is two way.

I see it now, thank you. It's an interesting little segment of road.

sprjus4

Thread bump. First phase of construction set to begin the week of July 5th, constructing two of the eight ultimate flyovers, I-10 West to I-410 South, and I-410 North to I-10 East. This particular phase, along with ongoing widening of I-10 to six lanes east of the project area (extending 13 miles between I-410 and the Bexar County line), will be in particular benefit to those utilizing the SH-130 corridor to bypass the I-35 corridor through San Antonio (via I-410 on the southeast side) and Austin.

Highway Improvements Continue: I-410/I-10 East Interchange Project Set to Begin in Far East San Antonio
When Americans launch the last of their fireworks this 4th of July, the Texas Department of Transportation's (TxDOT) San Antonio District will launch a $100 million effort to improve one of the city's most important interchanges.

Beginning the week of July 5, TxDOT will start a 38-month project to improve a portion of the I-410/I-10 East interchange in east San Antonio. Williams Brothers Construction Company, Inc. will construct the project and Raba Kistner, Inc. will help TxDOT manage it. The work focuses primarily on the way drivers access eastbound I-10 and southbound I-410. The new design includes a new direct connector from northbound I-410 near East Houston Street to eastbound I-10 near Ackerman Road and a new southbound I-410 connector from westbound I-10 near Ackerman to southbound I-410 near East Houston Street.

In addition to improvements that will make travel through the interchange more efficient, the contractor will also rebuild the southbound overpass at Houston Street as part of the I-10 to southbound I-410 connector. Frontage road improvements, retaining walls, high-mast and center lane lighting, drainage improvements, and new asphalt pavement on sections of northbound I-410 from I-10 northward are also included in the work.

I-10 construction on San Antonio's east side isn't anything new. Since 2016, drivers and businesses have become more than familiar with road work. Through a series of reconstruction projects, TxDOT has been working to increase capacity to meet the growing traffic demand by upgrading the highway to current safety and design standards and address deteriorating pavement conditions. Those projects include:

• I-10 East from Foster Road to Graytown Road — Includes various safety and mobility improvements. The project began in 2016 and was completed in fall 2020.
  • I-10 East from I-410 to Loop 1604 - Reconstruction along an approximately 6.7-mile section of I-10, including additional travel lanes and improved exit and entrance ramps. Work began in fall 2018 and is expected to be complete this summer.
  • I-10 East from Loop 1604 to Pfeil Road — Reconstruction along an approximately 2.8-mile section of the highway, including added travel lanes, bridge reconstruction, and frontage road improvements. The project began in early 2020 and is expected to be complete in 2024.
  • I-10 from Graytown Road to the Bexar County line — Reconstruction of approximately 5 miles of highway, including added travel lanes and frontage road and ramp improvements. The project began in late 2020 and is expected to be complete in 2024.
The upcoming I-410/I-10 East interchange project is the first in a series of planned improvements for the entire I-410/I-10 East interchange system in the coming years. It is a critical step towards providing safer and better ways of traveling San Antonio for the 83,000 drivers who use the interchange each day.

ethanhopkin14

I am shocked.  This interchange was updated just 15 years ago-ish.

Echostatic

15 years of growth in Texan suburbs can be more than enough for a project like this. The San Antonio MSA has added over a million residents since 2006.
Travelled in part or in full.

sprjus4

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 06, 2021, 01:20:48 PM
It's still a substandard cloverleaf with congestion problems. The first phase, at minimum, is needed.

In_Correct

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 06, 2021, 08:43:58 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 06, 2021, 01:20:48 PM
It's still a substandard cloverleaf with congestion problems. The first phase, at minimum, is needed.

Oh crap!   I just realized it is the I-10/I-410 intersection on the east side of town!  Yes, that intersection needed to be upgraded in the '90s.  I was thinking of the one on the northwest side of town. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.