News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 42

Started by LM117, May 27, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: roadman65 on April 16, 2024, 04:33:14 AMhttps://maps.app.goo.gl/ygcoSVCATmVmenxK9
If NC copied Texas and convert the frontage roads into one ways and build underpasses at each at grade with Texas U Turns and exit ramps being slip rams to the parallel road. Minimal disruption will be made to upgrade into interstate freeway.
Yeah, I'm not sure why they didn't on this project. A couple mile upgrade of US-74 outside of I-485 in Charlotte used the one-way frontage roads, slip ramps, and u-turns so it's not foreign to NCDOT. It would've made sense for US-70 / I-42 here to have that same layout, but instead they're using more traditional style ramps with two-way frontage roads that divert away from the interchange area.

jdunlop

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 16, 2024, 11:05:50 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 16, 2024, 04:33:14 AMhttps://maps.app.goo.gl/ygcoSVCATmVmenxK9
If NC copied Texas and convert the frontage roads into one ways and build underpasses at each at grade with Texas U Turns and exit ramps being slip rams to the parallel road. Minimal disruption will be made to upgrade into interstate freeway.
Yeah, I'm not sure why they didn't on this project. A couple mile upgrade of US-74 outside of I-485 in Charlotte used the one-way frontage roads, slip ramps, and u-turns so it's not foreign to NCDOT. It would've made sense for US-70 / I-42 here to have that same layout, but instead they're using more traditional style ramps with two-way frontage roads that divert away from the interchange area.

The locals (James City in particular) did not want one-way service roads; they wanted access as close to what they already had, and did not want to drive the extra distances to get to their desired direction on US 70.  My memory is that they had outsized influence on decisions here.

The roundabout interchanges were also a tough sell, until it was shown that they were "tighter" and would provide better access with less land impact.  And, were safer.

nerdom

yes. the businesses on the service roads all stated that one way roads would inconvenience too much. people here hated when a couple of intersections went to reduced conflict some years back. but, a few portions of the new service roads are complete and they look great. gone are the narrow, curbless roads with giant ditches, replaced with wide city-like streets that are curbed and guttered. gives the whole area an improved look.

The Ghostbuster

I would have preferred the frontage roads to have been one-way, although that might be a minority opinion. One-way frontage roads would have followed the dominant flow of traffic, and I think that would have made the frontage roads safer for traffic (and pedestrians if there are any).

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 22, 2024, 09:45:35 PMI would have preferred the frontage roads to have been one-way, although that might be a minority opinion. One-way frontage roads would have followed the dominant flow of traffic, and I think that would have made the frontage roads safer for traffic (and pedestrians if there are any).
Eh, that's questionable. With ramps being separated from the frontage roads, you'd have less traffic on there to begin with, only vehicles accessing businesses on that stretch. And likely slower speeds as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.