News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

SR 1

Started by cjk374, September 30, 2014, 12:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

I have always pictured any SR 1 in any state to do the following:

1)  Run the length of the state (north to south of course).

2)  Be a link between at least 2 or 3 major cities.

Take LA 1 for example... it runs from Grand Isle (just about as far south as you can go in Louisiana except for maybe Venice on LA 23).  It runs on the western edge of Baton Rouge, through Alexandria and Shreveport before meeting the Texas state line and becoming TX 77... I believe a total of 428 miles or so. 

Does the SR 1 in your state fit the description above?  Is it even an important route?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: cjk374 on September 30, 2014, 12:03:35 AM

Take LA 1 for example... it runs from Grand Isle (just about as far south as you can go in Louisiana except for maybe Venice on LA 23).  It runs on the western edge of Baton Rouge, through Alexandria and Shreveport before meeting the Texas state line and becoming TX 77... I believe a total of 428 miles or so. 

Does the SR 1 in your state fit the description above?  Is it even an important route?

In my home state, there isn't a state route 1 because of US 1 but US 1 in North Carolina doesn't do much other than run through Raleigh.

Pink Jazz

In Puerto Rico (not a state, I know), routes 1, 2, and 3 were the primary routes for the island until the construction of the Autopistas.  Parts of routes 2 and 3 remain the primary routes for parts of the island where they aren't yet paralleled by Autopistas and form parts of the unsigned interstates PRI-2 and PRI-3, respectively.

Rover_0

The only time Utah may have ever had a signed SR-1 is pre-US highway (1910s-1926), as it followed the most major route of the time (initially US-91, then I-15 at the latest pre-1977 system).

In fact, routes 1 through 11 (except SR-10) followed either Interstates or US Routes, generally the more important routes having the lower number. Since the 1977 renumbering where posted numbers were realigned to match legislative numbers, there has been no SR-1 (or SRs 2-5, for that matter). Will there be a future UT-1 running the length of the state? Not likely. Will it be a major route, wherever it is? Most likely. With my communications with UDOT I feel that the numbers 1 through 5 will be used on major routes.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Scott5114

Hardly:

OK-1 is named such because of its scenic attributes, not its usefulness.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kj3400

IIRC, our MD 1 never existed officially, though technically it would have been what US 1 is now between DC and Baltimore. So make of that what you will. But it does technically fulfill the criteria of what the OP specified (runs north-south [more or less], runs between 2 or 3 major cities [DC and Baltimore])
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

adventurernumber1

In Georgia, SR. 1 is basically a "secret highway" that is concurrent with US 27 through its entire route through GA.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

DandyDan

In Nebraska, Nebraska State Highway 1 is probably one of the least significant state highways there is.  It's only in Cass County, and it only passes through Elmwood and Murray, with a link road off of it to Murdock.  I personally suspect the only people who ever really use it are the people who have to go to Elmwood-Murdock High or Murray Conestoga High.  Then again, it was probably not the original NE 1.

EDIT: I took the time to look it up.  The original NE 1 was what essentially became US 20.  So while it runs the length of the state, it doesn't really go through any major cities, although I suspect Valentine and Chadron and O'Neill were relatively much bigger cities as compared to Omaha and Lincoln then.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

ctsignguy

In Ohio, Route 1 has existed twice...

The original Ohio 1 was the National Road in Ohio until it was superseded by US 40 in 1926 when the US Highway system was established....

The second Ohio 1 from the 1950s-60s was a mishmash of TEMP 1 cutouts bolted to concurrent routes running from Cincinnati to Dayton, to Springfield, to Columbus, to the south of Cleveland then up to the State line toward Erie PA. (Years ago, i had a road atlas of Ashtabula county that not only had the current highway numbers, but State Highway numbers, and I-90 was also noted as State Highway 1.....)

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Alex

Delaware's SR 1 was commissioned in the 1970s over the north south portion of SR 14, instantly gaining prominence as the route to the Delaware beaches. The Delaware Relief Route brought SR 1 northward to New Castle County in 1991, with the overall SR 1 toll road completed southward to Dover in 2003. The state route overlapped with US 113 until 2004 when DelDOT truncated the route away from its parent to Milford, leaving SR 1 as the sole route to coastal Sussex from Dover. These steps entrenched SR 1 as Delaware's premier route.

dgolub

The Northeast forum probably isn't the best place to ask this question because most states in this part of the country don't have an SR 1 because US 1 goes through them.  And in New York, no it doesn't do anything close to running the length of the state.  It just cuts through New York City and the southern half of Westchester County going between New Jersey and Connecticut.

dgolub

Quote from: dgolub on September 30, 2014, 08:52:29 AM
The Northeast forum probably isn't the best place to ask this question because most states in this part of the country don't have an SR 1 because US 1 goes through them.  And in New York, no it doesn't do anything close to running the length of the state.  It just cuts through New York City and the southern half of Westchester County going between New Jersey and Connecticut.

Scratch that, I thought I was in Northeast and then realized after posting that I was in General Highway Talk.  The part about US 1 in New York still holds, though.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on September 30, 2014, 12:03:35 AM

AR 1 did originally, but not anymore.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

freebrickproductions

AL 1 is concurrent with US 231 it's entire length through Alabama but it isn't signed.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

NE2

Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 30, 2014, 09:20:40 AM
AL 1 is concurrent with US 231 it's entire length through Alabama but it isn't signed.
Check again.

Somewhere in an old thread is a map I generated of all 1s from 1926.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

KY 1 is not a major route. South of Grayson, it's a rural road that serves what in the old days would have been called farm-to-market traffic. North of Grayson, it does run to an adjacent county seat (Greenup) but its role as a primary connector route has been supplanted by the Industrial Parkway (KY 67).

It's not even the easternmost odd-numbered route. KY 3 and KY 5 are east of KY 1, and now the misplaced KY 67 is too.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bing101

CA-1 AKA PCH is a pretty scenic drive in California and it hugs the coast.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: NE2 on September 30, 2014, 09:29:38 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 30, 2014, 09:20:40 AM
Check again.

Somewhere in an old thread is a map I generated of all 1s from 1926.
My bad, I meant 431 until you reach Dothan. From there, it's concurrent with US 231.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Zeffy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but old NJ SR 1 was replaced by current-day US 1, except its alignment shifted near Dayton, running on what I suspect would be US 130's alignment until it branched off yet again and entered Trenton from the east, as opposed to present-day US 1 entering Trenton from the north.

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Brandon

IL-1 is along the eastern side of the state from the ferry at Cave-In-Rock to I-57 in Chicago.

M-1 is merely Woodward Avenue from Downtown Detroit to BL-US-24 and BL-75 on the south side of Pontiac.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

pianocello

Iowa highway 1 isn't all that significant, it's just another state highway. The only sizable city it runs through is Iowa City, and it only makes it about halfway up the state.

Original (pre-US highway) Iowa highway 1 fit the OP's description a lot more. It followed what is currently US 69 from the Missouri state line to Ames, and current US 65 from US 30 north to the Minnesota state line, running through Des Moines, Ames, and Mason City.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

bzakharin

NJ does not have an SR-1 because US-1 passes through it (and is of course a major route that sort of runs the length of the northern half of the state and does connect Trenton to (indirectly) Princeton to New Brunswick to Newark.

There is a County Route 1 in Monmouth County which connects the super important unincorporated entities of Elys Corner and Carrs Corner, and is a whopping 6.5 miles long. It runs East-West and does end at 500 series County Routes on either end, which makes it slightly more important than some other single digit county routes.

There is also a county route 501, which would be a secondary equivalent of a state route 1. It's a semi-major route in the northern part of thee state that connects Edison, Woodbridge, Staten Island (NY), Jersey City, and Fort Lee among others (the gap through Staten Island is filled by NY-440)

Pete from Boston

Why no Vermont Route 1, Vermont?  Why?

Brandon

Wisconsin has no Wis-1.  Or Wis-2 through Wis-9 for that matter.  Wisconsin does not do single digit routes other than US-2 and US-8.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Quote from: Zeffy on September 30, 2014, 10:39:06 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but old NJ SR 1 was replaced by current-day US 1, except its alignment shifted near Dayton, running on what I suspect would be US 130's alignment until it branched off yet again and entered Trenton from the east, as opposed to present-day US 1 entering Trenton from the north.

That's the pre-1927 Route 1. From 1927 to 1953, Route 1 went from the Bayonne Bridge to New York along what's now 440 (and unbuilt 440), US 1-9 Truck, US 1-9, and US 9W. It was the northeasternmost route in a rather funky radial numbering, having some similarities to Maryland.

Also Goat Hill.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.