News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Postponed - Saturday, November 2, 2013 - Wilmington NC Meet

Started by CanesFan27, June 10, 2013, 08:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

All:

I apologize for this but I am going to have to cancel the meet.  I have been asked to be the godfather for my nephew and his baptism is that Sunday in Virginia. 

I appreciate everyone's interest in the meet - and will consider trying again in the Spring.

hbelkins

It's a bit early for me to commit to attending, and I would be much more likely to come if I hadn't visited Wilmington last year on my trip to finish visiting all of NC's counties, but I for one would be very OK with getting a reserved room and having the meal catered.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

May have to pass on this, November is a busy month for me with my other hobby.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

jpi

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

CanesFan27

Quote from: jpi on June 13, 2013, 10:23:19 PM
May have to pass on this, November is a busy month for me with my other hobby.

I'm not really worried if you can or can't at this point. (see item in original post).  I'm more interested in feedback on having a room rented/possible catering and having each attendee cover part of that charge.

OracleUsr

Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

jpi

Sorry Adam, I should have read that a little closer, if I can make it I would definently cover the part of the catering and room. Been a long time since I passed through Wilmington and it would allow me to do a complete clinch of I-40 in NC which would only leave the strecth from Barstow, CA to Kingman, AZ for a complete clinch :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

Besides the meet itself, the biggest attractions for me on the trip would be a clinch of I-40 in North Carolina (I need most of the route from Raleigh eastward) and a possible clinch of US 74 in the Tar Hole State as well. (I need bits and pieces in the Wilmington area, as well as from Kings Mountain eastward to the US 52 intersection).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Laura

How much do you estimate would be the cost per person for catering?

CanesFan27

Quote from: Laura Bianca on August 10, 2013, 08:44:19 AM
How much do you estimate would be the cost per person for catering?

Won't know until after labor day when i contact Front Street brewery.

It would most likely be $15-25/person depending on the number of attendees.

Duke87

Was looking to do a trip to Florida about then, so this is nice and on the way. Listing myself as a "likely".

As for lunch location, I have two comments:
1) The brewery place looks great with the traditional route (you can order a mug of bacon!? DO WANT), but the catering option looks unduly fancy and I expect having the food pre-chosen is likely to disagree with my odd dietary restrictions.
2) Pizza in North Carolina. That's a long way from New York City. Is it actually any good? The picture on the website makes it look meh.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

CanesFan27

CanesFan27

Quote from: Duke87 on August 12, 2013, 10:13:56 PM
Was looking to do a trip to Florida about then, so this is nice and on the way. Listing myself as a "likely".

As for lunch location, I have two comments:
1) The brewery place looks great with the traditional route (you can order a mug of bacon!? DO WANT), but the catering option looks unduly fancy and I expect having the food pre-chosen is likely to disagree with my odd dietary restrictions.
2) Pizza in North Carolina. That's a long way from New York City. Is it actually any good? The picture on the website makes it look meh.

I've not been to either pizza places.  I am intending to try it out over Labor Day weekend when we go down to Wrightsville for the day.

Excellent point about the dietary concerns - will keep in mind!  Front Street Brewery is a great place - I've been there a number of times - my concern is with seating and the ability to handle a possibly large group.

Thanks again for the feedback!

froggie

QuoteAny interest in running the half with me?

I'll do the 5K, but not a half.  I get back from sea only a week-and-a-half beforehand.  No way I could train up for a half in time.

CanesFan27

Quote from: froggie on August 13, 2013, 08:50:45 AM
QuoteAny interest in running the half with me?

I'll do the 5K, but not a half.  I get back from sea only a week-and-a-half beforehand.  No way I could train up for a half in time.

Yeah that makes total sense.  Maggie is most likely going to be running the 5k.  It's a nice course - flat with the exception of one bridge.

I think they still have room for dinner Saturday evening on the USS North Carolina if you do sign up

Brandon

Sounds like an interesting idea.  I've never been to that part of North Carolina.  However, I think I'll skip the 3 mile race.  ;-)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

CanesFan27

Quote from: Brandon on August 16, 2013, 09:59:16 AM
Sounds like an interesting idea.  I've never been to that part of North Carolina.  However, I think I'll skip the 3 mile race.  ;-)

You can always walk or walk/run it. 

Takumi

Just found out the date for the car meet in the fall that I was planning all my other meet dates around. I should be in for this if I don't have to work.

Edit: looks like I don't have to work that weekend. As for the food venue, I have no preference.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

OracleUsr

CanesFan27:  I don't know if I'll be able to make it or not.  I may ask my gf to come with me and maybe help with the driving (the US 117 interchange is 270 miles from my house, one way, let alone downtown Wilmington). 
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Duke87

Just going to chime in since this thread has popped back up that I'm out for this. I will be going on a tour of a rail yard in Brooklyn on this day instead.

But I will be in Pikeville a couple weekends prior, and heading down to Florida immediately after that.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

CanesFan27

Original Post has been updated with official details and facebook page.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.