News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New APL signs in Downtown Providence

Started by roadman, July 06, 2015, 12:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Drove on I-95 through Downtown Providence last Friday.  Noticed that they installed new arrow per lane signs southbound at the exit for US 6 west and Providence Place.  Utter monstrosities, if you ask me.  Especially given that the signing for the I-195 interchange, which IMO is far more important (Interstate to interstate connection and all that), is so much less prominent - they don't even have a proper exit direction sign there.

And I find it amusing that the control city for the I-95 portion of these signs is New York.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

spooky

Rumor has it another pair of these monstrosities will be installed on I-295 SB at the US 6 exit.

roadman

Quote from: spooky on July 06, 2015, 12:58:57 PM
Rumor has it another pair of these monstrosities will be installed on I-295 SB at the US 6 exit.

Have they recently re-striped the exit there?  Because the latest GSV image does not show an option lane.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

JakeFromNewEngland

Quote from: roadman on July 06, 2015, 12:32:48 PM
And I find it amusing that the control city for the I-95 portion of these signs is New York.

This always pisses me off. It seems like they forgot New London or New Haven even exist. Plus, I-95 southbound is signed as "Warwick" on most of all the other interchanges. They could at least sign Warwick/New London or New Haven.

spooky

Quote from: roadman on July 06, 2015, 01:28:03 PM
Quote from: spooky on July 06, 2015, 12:58:57 PM

Have they recently re-striped the exit there?  Because the latest GSV image does not show an option lane.

I believe it was recently re-striped with an option lane.

Rothman

Quote from: JakeFromNewEngland on July 06, 2015, 02:21:21 PM

This always pisses me off. It seems like they forgot New London or New Haven even exist. Plus, I-95 southbound is signed as "Warwick" on most of all the other interchanges. They could at least sign Warwick/New London or New Haven.

I've always thought that Connecticut's house at The Big E should just be a mural of the NYC skyline in the distance.  As a friend of mine who works in Groton said, "Connecticut:  A nice place to pass through on your way to NYC."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

KEVIN_224

And yet Providence starts showing up on I-95 North signs in...New Haven.  :-D

shadyjay

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on July 07, 2015, 09:53:46 AM
And yet Providence starts showing up on I-95 North signs in...New Haven.  :-D

Providence WAS the control city for I-95 starting in New Haven.  There are one or two signs left through Long Wharf that still say Providence, but they're endangered, surrounded by new signage.  That god-aweful onramp signage at (formerly) Exit 45 is gone, which spelled Providence in mixed case. 

I do remember the old Connecticut Turnpike signage would completely ignore any point in CT... entrance signs said "RHODE ISLAND AND EAST" and "NEW YORK AND WEST".  At least the ones east of New Haven did. 

Still, I think NEW LONDON deserves to be a control city for I-95 South through RI past Providence.  Even down by Exit 3, the entrance signs there read WESTERLY.  Really??!!

doogie1303

Quote from: JakeFromNewEngland on July 06, 2015, 02:21:21 PM

I think there was some bad blood about the alignment of I-95 when they were building it where CT tried to get it routed thru more of CT than RI to try to get more federal highway dollars. Thus it failed and my theory is that RI took there aggression out on CT by not recognizing that it exists on their interstate highway signage. RI does recognize Hartford as a control city for US 6, but that is not an interstate.

This is all just a theory though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.