News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on SR 641 Terre Haute Bypass

Started by US 41, March 31, 2014, 07:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 04, 2016, 01:05:23 PM
I heard that a section of SR 641 opened up along SR 46. Is there 641 signage? And is there any evidence what so ever of SR 641 along 46?

Between the roundabout interchange and I-70 there are two signs next to each other. One reads "North SR 46" and the other "North SR 641". However on the BGS's at the SR 641 / SR 46 interchange, SR 641 is the only highway mentioned, which I find odd.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

silverback1065

Quote from: US 41 on November 04, 2016, 05:13:03 PM
I heard that a section of SR 641 opened up along SR 46. Is there 641 signage? And is there any evidence what so ever of SR 641 along 46?

Between the roundabout interchange and I-70 there are two signs next to each other. One reads "North SR 46" and the other "North SR 641". However on the BGS's at the SR 641 / SR 46 interchange, SR 641 is the only highway mentioned, which I find odd.

already got 46 labeled wrong. it's an east west route!

US 41

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 04, 2016, 06:16:23 PM
Quote from: US 41 on November 04, 2016, 05:13:03 PM

already got 46 labeled wrong. it's an east west route!

It actually says "West". I just messed up.

Interstate 69 Fan

I would like It one day to be designated as an interstate..
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

US 41

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 07, 2016, 08:30:18 AM
I would like It one day to be designated as an interstate..

I wouldn't mind if they renamed it I-170 or something like that just because it would give Terre Haute two interstates  :) It also might make it qualify for a higher speed limit (it's currently 55).

However the "SR 641" designation is completely fine. It basically is an interstate and it is being built to interstate standards. The 55 mph speed limit kind of sucks and I would like to see it raised to 60 between SR 46 and US 41 once it is complete.

I will complain about the interchange at I-70. It makes zero sense to have two interstate quality roads meet at an interchange that is going to have stop lights. I think it will make it kind of dangerous there, especially for NB 641 traffic.

tdindy88

If I recall, the exit ramp from I-70 west to 641 south will be a loop ramp. Based on recent experience, that alone should kill any prospect of this becoming an interstate. The feds will demand that that ramp be rebuilt as a flyover. But Indiana did want to be cheap about the exit's design so there.

US 41

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 07, 2016, 05:54:56 PM
If I recall, the exit ramp from I-70 west to 641 south will be a loop ramp. Based on recent experience, that alone should kill any prospect of this becoming an interstate. The feds will demand that that ramp be rebuilt as a flyover. But Indiana did want to be cheap about the exit's design so there.

I don't think that would actually be an issue. Really the only issue would be the fact that NB 641 will have to go through two stop lights to get on WB 70.

silverback1065

that interchange design is bullshit, should have spent the money and made it completely limited access.

US 41

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 07, 2016, 10:30:56 PM
that interchange design is bullshit, should have spent the money and made it completely limited access.

Exactly. I don't even know why they're modifying the interchange if it's still going to have stop lights. It makes no sense to me.

silverback1065

slap a cloverleaf in its place at least! i don't think flyovers are necessary.

US 41

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 07, 2016, 10:34:51 PM

That's what was originally planned.

The reason New Margaret Ave was going to be built was so that there was room for a cloverleaf. New Margaret was going to reconnect to Margaret Ave near Fruitridge Ave (this is actually still planned). Once New Margaret crossed SR 46 (now US 40) it was going to head back south to connect to Margaret Ave and the Pilot Gas Station (this of course is no longer planned). Why they didn't stick with their original good plan is beyond me.

I wish the plan would have been to have SR 641 run all the way up to US 40 with interchanges at New Margaret and SR 42. Now it's all built up and basically impossible to do now.

westerninterloper

Quote from: US 41 on November 07, 2016, 10:43:27 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on November 07, 2016, 10:34:51 PM

That's what was originally planned.

The reason New Margaret Ave was going to be built was so that there was room for a cloverleaf. New Margaret was going to reconnect to Margaret Ave near Fruitridge Ave (this is actually still planned). Once New Margaret crossed SR 46 (now US 40) it was going to head back south to connect to Margaret Ave and the Pilot Gas Station (this of course is no longer planned). Why they didn't stick with their original good plan is beyond me.

I wish the plan would have been to have SR 641 run all the way up to US 40 with interchanges at New Margaret and SR 42. Now it's all built up and basically impossible to do now.

They could slap an interchange at New Margaret and SR 42 - there's plenty of space along there, maybe removing one or two small outlot buildings. But I don't think it's worth the investment - traffic on that road tends to be pretty light, doesn't it?
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

US 41

Traffic on US 40 / SR 46 is actually getting fairly heavy now and I only expect it to get worse once 641 is fully complete.

westerninterloper

Quote from: US 41 on November 10, 2016, 10:58:45 PM
Traffic on US 40 / SR 46 is actually getting fairly heavy now and I only expect it to get worse once 641 is fully complete.

Have there been any recent updates in local media about the date it will open? Before Christmas?

US 41

Quote from: westerninterloper on November 20, 2016, 09:23:17 PM

Have there been any recent updates in local media about the date it will open? Before Christmas?

Not yet. Construction has been moving along pretty well lately though. From what I've seen I'm thinking it will probably be done in January, but don't quote me on that.

westerninterloper

Quote from: US 41 on November 21, 2016, 09:17:16 AM
Quote from: westerninterloper on November 20, 2016, 09:23:17 PM

Not yet. Construction has been moving along pretty well lately though. From what I've seen I'm thinking it will probably be done in January, but don't quote me on that.

Hard to believe it has taken this long. I remember work starting on this when I graduated high school - coming on 27 years ago.

inkyatari

Are there any plans to take US 40 north around Terre Haute, and possibly connect it with 41?
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

silverback1065

Quote from: inkyatari on November 23, 2016, 09:07:26 AM
Are there any plans to take US 40 north around Terre Haute, and possibly connect it with 41?

i believe that's something they would like to do, i remember seeing a map of it going north of rose hulman, and curving to the west to end at us 150.  if this is true, expect to see it sometime in 2055  :-D

westerninterloper

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 23, 2016, 11:35:02 AM

i believe that's something they would like to do, i remember seeing a map of it going north of rose hulman, and curving to the west to end at us 150.  if this is true, expect to see it sometime in 2055  :-D

I can see why it would make logical sense to complete a bypass to US 150 northwest of the city, but how much traffic would it serve? US 150 itself isn't a major route to anywhere, and traffic coming from Indianapolis would be unlikely to head north on SR 63 or US 41, since that area is mostly rural and Chicagoland is a distant destination along those routes.

Perhaps there is city traffic that could be served by this, but I think that Fruitridge and Ft. Harrison work well enough as bypass routes for the northwest side of town. I wonder what could justify a traffic count high enough for a new terrain freeway or expressway.

US 41

Quote from: westerninterloper on November 25, 2016, 11:24:51 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on November 23, 2016, 11:35:02 AM

I can see why it would make logical sense to complete a bypass to US 150 northwest of the city, but how much traffic would it serve? US 150 itself isn't a major route to anywhere, and traffic coming from Indianapolis would be unlikely to head north on SR 63 or US 41, since that area is mostly rural and Chicagoland is a distant destination along those routes.

Perhaps there is city traffic that could be served by this, but I think that Fruitridge and Ft. Harrison work well enough as bypass routes for the northwest side of town. I wonder what could justify a traffic count high enough for a new terrain freeway or expressway.

Absolutely agree. Ft Harrison / Fruitridge is fine. There really is no need for a northeast bypass. The best thing INDOT could do is make 41 3 lanes each direction from Margaret Ave to Hulman St; and from Johnson Drive down to at least 7th Street (but preferably to Walmart). On I-70 a new exit at either 25th Street or Fruitridge would be nice too.

Revive 755

^ I see an at grade crossing of a railyard on Fruitridge, a high school, as well as a good number of signals - not conductive to being a decent bypass route.

US 41

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 26, 2016, 07:15:13 PM
^ I see an at grade crossing of a railyard on Fruitridge, a high school, as well as a good number of signals - not conductive to being a decent bypass route.

The speed limit is 45 on Fruitridge and it's 40 on Ft Harrison. It's also very rare that you ever get stopped at that R/R crossing on Fruitridge. The one on Ft Harrison also isn't a big deal. It's used often, but you never have to wait very long at it. Honestly I wish they would make Fruitridge a 4 lane road down to I-70 and put up a new interchange there. I think that would be something worth doing. Terre Haute really doesn't really need a bypass (though it would be nice) unless they were going to make the 41 / 63 corridor an interstate which will never happen.

There were plans for an eventual NE Bypass, but it is supposed to be a 2 lane limited access bypass with 4 lane ROW. I don't think it will ever happen though. I'm a little surprised that they are actually going to finish 641.

The Ghostbuster

A northeast bypass of Terre Haute should have been built. Alas, we're decades too late for that to become a reality.

westerninterloper

Quote from: US 41 on November 27, 2016, 08:42:34 PM

The speed limit is 45 on Fruitridge and it's 40 on Ft Harrison. It's also very rare that you ever get stopped at that R/R crossing on Fruitridge. The one on Ft Harrison also isn't a big deal. It's used often, but you never have to wait very long at it. Honestly I wish they would make Fruitridge a 4 lane road down to I-70 and put up a new interchange there. I think that would be something worth doing. Terre Haute really doesn't really need a bypass (though it would be nice) unless they were going to make the 41 / 63 corridor an interstate which will never happen.

There were plans for an eventual NE Bypass, but it is supposed to be a 2 lane limited access bypass with 4 lane ROW. I don't think it will ever happen though. I'm a little surprised that they are actually going to finish 641.

641 has been in the planning stages since long before I-69 was finalized, so I saw it as an important potential link for an interstate from Terre Haute to Evansville - which was part of some of the original interstate plans.

I agree that there isn't much need for a NE bypass. i think the growth of the Honey Creek commercial area also contributes to the need for 641, and as someone who frequently drives from Indianapolis to points south of Terre Haute, I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS HIGHWAY TO BE COMPLETE.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: westerninterloper on November 30, 2016, 02:30:33 PM
Quote from: US 41 on November 27, 2016, 08:42:34 PM

641 has been in the planning stages since long before I-69 was finalized, so I saw it as an important potential link for an interstate from Terre Haute to Evansville - which was part of some of the original interstate plans.

I agree that there isn't much need for a NE bypass. i think the growth of the Honey Creek commercial area also contributes to the need for 641, and as someone who frequently drives from Indianapolis to points south of Terre Haute, I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS HIGHWAY TO BE COMPLETE.
Completion date: Sometime in the near future :)
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.