News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Lynch Road in Evansville, IN

Started by silverback1065, October 27, 2014, 01:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

I recently saw a map from 1997, and it showed Lynch road in Evansville as a future interstate.  Was this an error, or was Lynch road really supposed to be a highway and later scrapped?

SW Indiana

If you are referring to Lynch on the east side of Vanderburgh County, Lynch Road was extended from North Burkhardt Road to SR 62 as a 4-lane road in the mid 2000's, 2004-2006 I believe. An interchange was added to I-164 as part of the expansion.

silverback1065

yes, that is what I was referring to, for some reason the map showed it as an interstate, must have been an error.

Pete from Boston

I didn't realize this was new, but then my first time in Evansville was just after this was built.  I assumed it was an upgrade.  My understanding is that a lot of those main roads east of Green River and north of the Lloyd are relatively new or greatly upgraded in the last decade or two.  Development is now reaching the last open swaths before 164, and they're now widening the two-lane part of North Green River.  I am curious to see how much of this momentum leapfogs 164 to the east.

silverback1065

This isn't very close to the area I mentioned, but they are upgrading the us 41 interchange with the lloyd, it will be a full cloverleaf, not sure when it will be done though. 

Pete from Boston

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 27, 2014, 07:33:20 PM
This isn't very close to the area I mentioned, but they are upgrading the us 41 interchange with the lloyd, it will be a full cloverleaf, not sure when it will be done though.

I was there about six weeks ago, and I saw no indication of even preparation for construction there.

silverback1065

Must be in the utility phase or something. It should start next year

Pete from Boston

Given that this will create a nonstop stretch all the way from Boeke to over near Mead Johnson, I am curious if there is a planning document lurking somewhere for a traffic-light-free Lloyd east of there to 164.

silverback1065

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 27, 2014, 08:18:07 PM
Given that this will create a nonstop stretch all the way from Boeke to over near Mead Johnson, I am curious if there is a planning document lurking somewhere for a traffic-light-free Lloyd east of there to 164.

there is an interchange planned for burkhart road in the near future.

jnewkirk77

The Burkhardt interchange is at least another decade away. Might be done by 2030, but there's no money for it in the near future. Also, even if they do build one there, the question of the lights at Vann Ave., Fielding Rd. & Cross Pointe Blvd. (I think that's all the outliers) would still be unresolved.

NE2

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 27, 2014, 01:48:00 PM
I recently saw a map from 1997, and it showed Lynch road in Evansville as a future interstate.
What number did it assign?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

silverback1065

Quote from: NE2 on October 28, 2014, 08:35:55 AM
I recently saw a map from 1997, and it showed Lynch road in Evansville as a future interstate.

it didn't have a number, it just showed the same linework as the interstate (it was a rand mcnally map) 

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on October 28, 2014, 08:29:53 AM
The Burkhardt interchange is at least another decade away. Might be done by 2030, but there's no money for it in the near future. Also, even if they do build one there, the question of the lights at Vann Ave., Fielding Rd. & Cross Pointe Blvd. (I think that's all the outliers) would still be unresolved.

My mistakeā€“I meant Vann, not Boeke. 

Fielding is a little constricted with that steep hill and the seemingly-newly-refubrished Harrison HS field.  Plus, you would run into the Green River interchange incline, requiring that to be somewhat dismantled.  I think Fielding simply gets cut off with NB traffic asked to U-turn at Burkhardt if needing a left turn.  SB traffic there already has easy access to the Green River interchange.  Probably will suck for Harrison traffic, though. 

The rest have a lot of room to work with, particularly if they use a SPUI like they did at Green River and thus stack the through lanes atop the left-turn movements.

As things stand, it's hard to turn north on Burkhardt from the Lloyd EB with sitting through 2-3 light cycles.  That's a failing situation in my book.  Burkhardt isn't even fully built out just north of there, so the intersection is only going to get worse (in fact, I'd expect pressure to fix it to come from folks with a stake in that unbuilt land).

NE2

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 28, 2014, 10:32:00 AM
Quote from: NE2 on October 28, 2014, 08:35:55 AM

it didn't have a number, it just showed the same linework as the interstate (it was a rand mcnally map) 

So how do you know it was an Interstate and not just a freeway?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Pete from Boston

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 27, 2014, 08:11:47 PM
Must be in the utility phase or something. It should start next year

Construction is well underway on this interchange now.  There's new concrete poured for the ramp from the Lloyd westbound to 41 northbound.  The Lloyd westbound lanes are closed, with all traffic routed into two lanes each way on the eastbound side (with apparently some added shoulder pavement to make up the extra lane).  Traffic is predictably bad through there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.