News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 35 in Ohio

Started by rebel049, January 08, 2016, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnati27

Quote from: GCrites80s on January 18, 2016, 08:41:11 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on January 17, 2016, 07:31:19 AM
Quote from: monty on January 16, 2016, 10:12:11 PM
I rather enjoy driving the US 35 corridor through Ohio.

I've only been on the WV to Chillicothe part, and once at that, but one thing I do remember about it was how scenic & hilly the section between Jackson and Chillicothe was. That's the most "mountainous" looking part of Ohio I can think of when it comes to what you can see from an expressway or freeway (compared to what I've seen on 23, 33, 77, 11 & 7 in other hilly parts of the state)

If you want a good long descent, take 32 between Piketon and Peebles.

I agree. That's one of the nicest descents on a 4 lane highway in Ohio in my opinion.

Gnutella

Quote from: jbnati27 on June 28, 2016, 10:57:47 AM
Quote from: GCrites80s on January 18, 2016, 08:41:11 PM

I've only been on the WV to Chillicothe part, and once at that, but one thing I do remember about it was how scenic & hilly the section between Jackson and Chillicothe was. That's the most "mountainous" looking part of Ohio I can think of when it comes to what you can see from an expressway or freeway (compared to what I've seen on 23, 33, 77, 11 & 7 in other hilly parts of the state)

If you want a good long descent, take 32 between Piketon and Peebles.

I agree. That's one of the nicest descents on a 4 lane highway in Ohio in my opinion.

I-470 in the vicinity of Wheeling, WV is one of my favorite Interstate drives. Heading eastbound on I-470, you get a long descent toward the Ohio River, then a long ascent as it crosses into West Virginia, and then another long descent before its eastern terminus at I-70. The curviness of the West Virginia segment east of the Ohio River looks pretty neat too. Heading westbound on I-70, the initial ascent of I-470 looks impressive, especially when it's lit up at night.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: jbnati27 on June 28, 2016, 10:56:19 AM
Very disappointing. Having driven this section several times, I know what a bottleneck it is. This may help a little bit, but I can't help to believe this would still be a bottleneck.  :pan: In my opinion, this has needed to be a limited access highway for a long time now.
How are you going to access all of the car dealers if you cut them off with your proposed full access highway?

2trailertrucker

I just drove through there last week. I would settle for synchronization of lights to where through traffic can get through town without fear of a light changing in 2 seconds for a car coming out of one of the side streets.

captkirk_4

Found out that part of Ohio is where Bob Evans Farm is that started the Bob Evans sausage and restaurant company.

Really think that the Federal Government seriously need a better Interstate system between Chicago and the Carolinas. The current route is 100 miles too long, A Dayton to Charleston Interstate would really help truckers cut their time and costs. Maybe even create a new Highway from Dayton up to Chicago bypassing Indianapolis making the route even more direct. US 35 is almost done except when you get near Dayton there is an awful stop light section around Xenia and a really narrow, shoulder less very old Freeway in Dayton proper. West Virginia is also missing a chunk where its is two lanes and goes through small towns.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 11, 2016, 02:58:19 PM
Quote from: jbnati27 on June 28, 2016, 10:56:19 AM
Very disappointing. Having driven this section several times, I know what a bottleneck it is. This may help a little bit, but I can't help to believe this would still be a bottleneck.  :pan: In my opinion, this has needed to be a limited access highway for a long time now.
How are you going to access all of the car dealers if you cut them off with your proposed full access highway?

I lived in Beavercreek near the Factory Road and US 35 intersection for many years.  I think the best solution would be a bridge over Factory Road and frontage roads.   It may require a second bridge at the Xenia end of the dealer strip, but there are two defacto frontage roads there already.  There is a pond on the south side that may be a problem, but I think it It is doable.

GreenLanternCorps

It looks like there is movement on upgrading US 35 in Beavercreek:

http://beavercreeknewscurrent.com/top-stories/3187/u-s-35-superstreet-project-receives-state-funding

Oops, some of this was covered before.  The article is older than I thought, but newer than the other Superstreet comments.

Buck87

TRAC approves adding 3rd lane on US 35 from Whalen Blvd to I-675, and reaffirms the funding for the super street project in Greene County:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/business/millions-approved-for-work-what-know-now/SP1vOmTYXTE56aFNJutW0M/?icmp=cmgoBusinessStoryLink

Beltway

Quote from: Thing 342 on January 16, 2016, 04:17:34 PM
Quote from: westerninterloper on January 16, 2016, 03:59:48 PM
I've long been baffled at why so much of that stretch of US 35 is a limited access highway. I guess I can see why another route to I-71 and Columbus would be needed east of Dayton, but why is it that way all the way to Chillicothe?
US-35 between Dayton and Charleston forms a fairly large portion of the route between much of the southern Mid-Atlantic (VA south of I-64, NC, WV) and the western Great Lakes (Chicago, et al).

Richmond to Chicago, or anywhere on the VA I-64 corridor to Chicago or NW Indiana, that US-35 segment is the preferred route now that nearly all of US-35 is four lanes between I-64 and I-75.

Used that last year on a trip from Richmond to NW Indiana, lots of very scenic sections and mostly very modest traffic volumes on I-64 and US-35.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

mgk920

Quote from: Beltway on March 29, 2018, 11:28:06 PM
Quote from: Thing 342 on January 16, 2016, 04:17:34 PM
Quote from: westerninterloper on January 16, 2016, 03:59:48 PM
I've long been baffled at why so much of that stretch of US 35 is a limited access highway. I guess I can see why another route to I-71 and Columbus would be needed east of Dayton, but why is it that way all the way to Chillicothe?
US-35 between Dayton and Charleston forms a fairly large portion of the route between much of the southern Mid-Atlantic (VA south of I-64, NC, WV) and the western Great Lakes (Chicago, et al).

Richmond to Chicago, or anywhere on the VA I-64 corridor to Chicago or NW Indiana, that US-35 segment is the preferred route now that nearly all of US-35 is four lanes between I-64 and I-75.

Used that last year on a trip from Richmond to NW Indiana, lots of very scenic sections and mostly very modest traffic volumes on I-64 and US-35.

Big Rig Steve has used it a couple of times over the past year or so, too.

Mike

Beltway

Quote from: mgk920 on March 31, 2018, 12:53:19 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 29, 2018, 11:28:06 PM
Big Rig Steve has used it a couple of times over the past year or so, too.
Mike

All is toll-free as well!  No need to deal with D.C. area traffic or the turnpikes in PA, OH and IN.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sparker

Now....if there was a way to get from the west end of the US 35 freeway section up to I-675 to bypass the street-running segment (not quite the "Ohio Breezewood", but in the same functional neighborhood), all would be right with that neck of the world.  It seems a shame to have such a useful route that largely avoids urbanized gridlock only to have it peter out into a slow-slog commercial strip.  Although, OTOH, it may be that disconnect at the western end that keeps it the "open road" that it is.  It's Ohio -- so we may never find out the real potential of this particular corridor. 

Beltway

Quote from: sparker on March 31, 2018, 03:51:20 PM
Now....if there was a way to get from the west end of the US 35 freeway section up to I-675 to bypass the street-running segment (not quite the "Ohio Breezewood", but in the same functional neighborhood), all would be right with that neck of the world.  It seems a shame to have such a useful route that largely avoids urbanized gridlock only to have it peter out into a slow-slog commercial strip.  Although, OTOH, it may be that disconnect at the western end that keeps it the "open road" that it is.  It's Ohio -- so we may never find out the real potential of this particular corridor. 

I found it relatively fast when I used it last year, an expressway-standard highway.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sparker

Quote from: Beltway on March 31, 2018, 07:58:55 PM
Quote from: sparker on March 31, 2018, 03:51:20 PM

I found it relatively fast when I used it last year, an expressway-standard highway.

Yeah, right now the section through Alpha is a signalized expressway, but IIRC this is the segment due to be turned into a "superstreet" instead of connecting the two freeway segments.  That'll certainly put a veritable speedbump in the effectiveness of the US 35 corridor.  But while the overall corridor, taken in the aggregate, isn't too bad, ODOT's future plans do little if anything to realize the interregional potential of this route by taking a decidedly localized (and verging on parochial) approach here (which will please a few select posters!)  Given that as of late the state has seemingly concentrated on improving non-Interstate corridors (this one, US 33, US 24, US 30), I'll reiterate my dismay at the half-assed and/or misguided methodology in play here.  Maybe I'm just expecting too much in this day & age, but if one builds 98.5% of a useful corridor, it seems reasonable to finish it off rather than install a "feature" that smells like an attempt at long-distance "traffic calming". 

ITB

Probably old news to some, but I'd like to share anyway. In Greene County, construction is underway to upgrade the US 35/Trebein-Valley Road intersection to an full interchange.

Read more about the project here and here.

GCrites

That intersection was kind of a drag.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.