News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Legal mumbo jumbo

Started by mcdonaat, September 17, 2012, 03:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdonaat

Reading the 1930 Louisiana state route descriptions, I'm somewhat confused about numbers and letters randomly inserted into the highways. To give you an idea of what a normal route description is, see the following two quotes:

QuoteRoute 325. Beginning at St. Francisville, thence in a northerly direction to Tunica.

QuoteRoute 1064. Beginning on Rt. No. 99 1/2 near Denson Womack's place running north along the old Community road connecting Rt. No. 417 the Caston-Ringgold road.

But here's what's confusing me:

QuoteRoute 380. Commencing at Edgerly, and running north and east through T9 S, R11 W, T8 S, R11 W, AND T7 S, R 11 W, to the City of DeQuincy.

What are the letters and numbers for? The only thing I can think of are longitude and latitude numbers.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mcdonaat

Never heard about this before, thanks!

Now onto part two of the legal stuff...

LA 116 was defined as the Marksville-Jonesville Highway, a road meant to connect the two parish seats in a relatively quick manner. However, the road was never built. LA 297 was defined as "a section of State Route No. 116, to be constructed and maintained immediately." Any ideas on why it was defined as a separate route?

NE2

Perhaps somewhere along the line a bored bureaucrat went down the list of new state highways and assigned numbers, not realizing that this one already had a number.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mcdonaat

Dunno about that... some of these route descriptions make no sense. Saying a route starts at John Smith's place, or an old road from a store to a river. Makes it seem purely political (which it was).

NE2

That's typical vague surveying description.

My point is that the numbers were probably added at a late stage in becoming a law. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to keep the sequence and you'd get repeating numbers (as Florida did, after which the State Road Department was in charge of assigning numbers after the laws passed). It may have been the same in Louisiana - do you have the actual laws as passed or the compiled statutes?

mcdonaat

Quote from: NE2 on September 17, 2012, 04:20:39 AM
That's typical vague surveying description.

My point is that the numbers were probably added at a late stage in becoming a law. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to keep the sequence and you'd get repeating numbers (as Florida did, after which the State Road Department was in charge of assigning numbers after the laws passed). It may have been the same in Louisiana - do you have the actual laws as passed or the compiled statutes?
I'm guessing they're the compiled statutes. Legislative route descriptions, based on acts passed.

NE2

You should probably look at the individual laws. The Monroe main library probably has all the volumes.

mcdonaat

That's the thing, I'm in Baton Rouge at the moment. I pulled the descriptions right out of the legislative record books, so I think they might be the laws.

NE2

Do they have stuff like 'approved by the governor' at the end?

mcdonaat

Quote from: NE2 on September 17, 2012, 05:51:16 AM
Do they have stuff like 'approved by the governor' at the end?
Yes they do. The copy I'm looking at says the following:
Approved by the Governor: September 24, 1930.
A true copy:
James J. Bailey,
Secretary of State.

Alps

Quote from: mcdonaat on September 17, 2012, 03:34:50 AM
Never heard about this before, thanks!

Now onto part two of the legal stuff...

LA 116 was defined as the Marksville-Jonesville Highway, a road meant to connect the two parish seats in a relatively quick manner. However, the road was never built. LA 297 was defined as "a section of State Route No. 116, to be constructed and maintained immediately." Any ideas on why it was defined as a separate route?

I guess that in order to expedite the construction, it had to be given a different number? Some vagarity in the laws in that state, perhaps, because NJ was happy to build routes in sections.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.