News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Edens Spur (I-94) widening?

Started by I-39, May 24, 2015, 04:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Will they ever widen the Edens Spur to six lanes? I see there are plans for a rebuild of the Spur in Move Illinois, but no plans for widening?

The Tri-State west of there is eight lanes and the Edens itself is six lanes. As a result, the Edens Spur can be a bottleneck sometimes, they ought to consider widening it.

hobsini2

I doubt it will anytime soon. ISTHA looks at the Edens Spur as a long connector ramp with one minor exit.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

I-39

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 24, 2015, 05:13:00 PM
I doubt it will anytime soon. ISTHA looks at the Edens Spur as a long connector ramp with one minor exit.

Might as well if they're going to rebuild it. Traffic can get somewhat heavy on the spur at times.

pianocello

I agree that the Edens Spur could use an extra lane, but I don't think it's going to happen. The problem is that it seems ISTHA doesn't find connections to IDOT's roads as important as they probably should. See also the 2-lane weaving ramps at the Tri-State's interchange with I-80 and the fact that they're just now putting in an interchange at I-57.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Brandon

The other problem with widening the Spur is that you would then be merging six lanes into three at the eastern merge point, and six lanes into four at the western merge point.  That would cause far more backups than you see currently along the Spur.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Brandon on May 25, 2015, 07:38:10 AM
The other problem with widening the Spur is that you would then be merging six lanes into three at the eastern merge point, and six lanes into four at the western merge point.  That would cause far more backups than you see currently along the Spur.
maybe if they do the ideas listed hear.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10015.msg2033992#msg2033992

I-39

They'd have to modify the merge points as well. ISTHA controls the western portion, so it wouldn't be a problem there (the Lake Cook Bridge would need reconstruction, but that will need to happen anyway as the bridge is old). The eastern portion (merging into the actual Edens) would be a problem, since IDOT controls the Edens. Engineering-wise, it's no problem, it's just a matter of getting cooperation from IDOT, which we all know is nearly impossible.

dzlsabe

The spur really needs two ramps at the west end going to and from I-294 and two at the east end, one to Skokie Blvd. and one from south US41 and Skokie Blvd.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

abefroman329

Quote from: I-39 on May 24, 2015, 08:54:10 PM
Traffic can get somewhat heavy on the spur at times.

Traffic gets heavy where the Spur merges with US 41.  Widening the Spur won't help there.

peterj920

I'd just rather continue down 294 to I-90 east to get to Downtown Chicago instead of using the Edens Spur.  The toll is 40 cents cheaper (cash), the distance is the same as using the Edens Spur/Edens Expressway, and I don't have to deal with the merge point on the Spur that frequently backs up. 

SEWIGuy

Quote from: peterj920 on October 26, 2015, 03:05:01 PM
I'd just rather continue down 294 to I-90 east to get to Downtown Chicago instead of using the Edens Spur.  The toll is 40 cents cheaper (cash), the distance is the same as using the Edens Spur/Edens Expressway, and I don't have to deal with the merge point on the Spur that frequently backs up. 

The back ups on the Kennedy IMO are much worse than those on the Spur.  In my experience, unless it is due to accident, the times that the Spur is backed up are the times where the Kennedy is a parking lot.

dzlsabe

And so this is why four more ramps need to be built on the spur. If your around HP or Glencoe, to get to the airport your options are Willow, Dundee, LakeCook, Deerfield or 22 to get to the Tollway. FIVE? miles and 15? minutes to get there minimum. If youre a truck southbound on US41 and you dont wanna face going thru Shikaakwa, itd be nice to buck up, and have that option.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

dzlsabe

Oops I shoulda posted this in the fictional RAMPs section.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: dzlsabe on October 27, 2015, 10:36:10 PM
And so this is why four more ramps need to be built on the spur. If your around HP or Glencoe, to get to the airport your options are Willow, Dundee, LakeCook, Deerfield or 22 to get to the Tollway. FIVE? miles and 15? minutes to get there minimum. If youre a truck southbound on US41 and you dont wanna face going thru Shikaakwa, itd be nice to buck up, and have that option.

Tight fit to get the ramps in on both sides. Maybe with a palatine road upgrade.

dzlsabe

The east end is easy. The west end, the 294 to eastbound is easy. The westbound spur to 294 would be the hardest, but not impossible.

dzlsabe

Or just make the FOUR "missing" ramps at the east and west ends? NO BRAINER.

I-39

Ok, back to the original topic.............

I just think the Tollway ought to add a third lane when the Spur is rebuilt, but that probably won't happen. It should have been done when the North Tri-State was rebuilt in 2008-2009.

dzlsabe

Quote from: I-39 on November 06, 2015, 10:18:17 PM

I just think the Tollway ought to add a third lane when the Spur is rebuilt, but that probably won't happen. It should have been done when the North Tri-State was rebuilt in 2008-2009.
The FOUR missing ramps are unnecessary? I agree that some widening may be necessary if the missing ramps are built.

Heres a recent Tribune article you may have missed. http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/documents/10180/359519/2015-08-26-Chicago-traffic-among-worst-Chicago-Tribune.pdf/5338ec11-819c-4dda-a25e-a24593238775

GeekJedi

You can quote this in as many threads as you'd like (until they get deleted). It doesn't support your argument.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

I-39

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 06, 2015, 10:25:07 PM

The FOUR missing ramps are unnecessary? http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/documents/10180/359519/2015-08-26-Chicago-traffic-among-worst-Chicago-Tribune.pdf/5338ec11-819c-4dda-a25e-a24593238775

Thanks captain obvious, for pointing me to something pretty much everyone on this thread already knew..............  :rolleyes:

dzlsabe

Quote from: I-39 on November 06, 2015, 10:36:30 PM

The FOUR missing ramps are unnecessary? http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/documents/10180/359519/2015-08-26-Chicago-traffic-among-worst-Chicago-Tribune.pdf/5338ec11-819c-4dda-a25e-a24593238775

Thanks captain obvious, for pointing me to something pretty much everyone on this thread already knew..............  :rolleyes:
Obvious? Dont think so. Its kinda short attention-span theater around here. I gotta throw these salami slices at the wall and hope something sticks. Im not going to guess at what "pretty much everyone on this thread" knows. Maybe somebody happens along that hasent read the Tribune arcticle.

ET21

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 06, 2015, 10:49:34 PM
Quote from: I-39 on November 06, 2015, 10:36:30 PM

Obvious? Dont think so. Its kinda short attention-span theater around here. I gotta throw these salami slices at the wall and hope something sticks.

Yes it is obvious. We are just choosing to ignore you since you're not open to critiques on your fictional highway
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

dzlsabe

This thread is about Edens widening and possible ramp addition. What are your "critiques" about that?

ET21

My "critique" is essentially agreeing with I-39

I-39: "I just think the Tollway ought to add a third lane when the Spur is rebuilt, but that probably won't happen. It should have been done when the North Tri-State was rebuilt in 2008-2009"
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

dzlsabe

Quote from: ET21 on November 07, 2015, 08:41:15 PM
My "critique" is essentially agreeing with I-39

I-39: "I just think the Tollway ought to add a third lane when the Spur is rebuilt, but that probably won't happen. It should have been done when the North Tri-State was rebuilt in 2008-2009"
So widening, but additional ramps at E & W ends are still not necessary? Under study? Should be moved to the fictional Edens spur thread?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.