News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Massachusetts milepost exit numbering conversion contract

Started by roadman, October 28, 2015, 05:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 09, 2017, 09:18:18 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on January 06, 2017, 05:31:19 PMMA 1A, Boston to Revere, Summer 2017
US 1, Chelsea to Danvers, Winter 2019/20
MA 28, Bourne to Falmouth, Winter 2019/20
Granted, you simply copied the list from MassDOT's website & pasted such here but MA 1A, US 1 & MA 28* presently don't have numbered interchanges at all; and, hence, shouldn't/wouldn't be impacted by any conversion.

*I just found out that MA 28 in this section was planned to receive numbered interchanges post-conversion.

Given that the MA 28 Bourne to Falmouth stretch is situated in Cape Cod; one could assume that such will be met with some resistance, especially since the southernmost interchange would be at/around MM 51.  If such gets implemented without a hitch; those howling over the US 6 conversions could be called out as hypocrites.
They would be complaining about nothing!  Exit numbers give motorists something to reference when giving/receiving directions.  Its in their best interest to have them.  How could that be a bad thing?  There's a gap in exit numbers on CT 15 between the end of the Wilbur Cross Parkway and the beginning of the Wilbur Cross Highway but no one complains that the last exit before I-84 is Exit 91.

PHLBOS

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 12, 2017, 09:39:02 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on January 06, 2017, 05:31:19 PMMA 1A, Boston to Revere, Summer 2017
Granted, you simply copied the list from MassDOT's website & pasted such here but MA 1A, US 1 & MA 28* presently don't have numbered interchanges at all; and, hence, shouldn't/wouldn't be impacted by any conversion.

*I just found out that MA 28 in this section was planned to receive numbered interchanges post-conversion.

Given that the MA 28 Bourne to Falmouth stretch is situated in Cape Cod; one could assume that such will be met with some resistance, especially since the southernmost interchange would be at/around MM 51.  If such gets implemented without a hitch; those howling over the US 6 conversions could be called out as hypocrites.
They would be complaining about nothing!  Exit numbers give motorists something to reference when giving/receiving directions.  Its in their best interest to have them.  How could that be a bad thing?  There's a gap in exit numbers on CT 15 between the end of the Wilbur Cross Parkway and the beginning of the Wilbur Cross Highway but no one complains that the last exit before I-84 is Exit 91.
Dude, you're preaching to the choir on this one.  I was just pointing out the potentially blatant hypocrisy of Cape Cod residents complaining about US 6's new interchange numbers but either ignoring or completely looking the other way regarding MA 28's new numbers (note: the latter has not yet happened and is personal speculation only).

One reason why MassDOT hasn't yet implemented its interchange number conversions statewide was indeed due to the backlash they received regarding US 6 (Mid-Cape Highway) when they unveiled plans for such during public meetings for a sign-replacement contract.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

I would think the fact that MA 28 doesn't have exit numbers would be a factor.  The issue was that they were attached to the existing sequential numbers of US 6.  There would be no such attachment on MA 28.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beeper1

I'm not sure the MA-28 expressway really benefits much from adding exit numbers, regardless of which numbering system is used.  Its not a long highway, and only has 3 grade-separated interchanges.   

Alps

Quote from: Beeper1 on January 14, 2017, 12:45:06 PM
I'm not sure the MA-28 expressway really benefits much from adding exit numbers, regardless of which numbering system is used.  Its not a long highway, and only has 3 grade-separated interchanges.   
Extend the numbering from MA 25! :-D

bob7374

Quote from: Alps on January 15, 2017, 08:56:37 PM
If I were in charge of renumbering MA highways, MA 25 would take over the MA 28 routing between Bourne and Orleans where, for the most part, signing it as an east-west highway makes the most sense, than the north-south directions it has now. (Orleans is almost directly east of Wareham, map-wise).

PHLBOS

And yet, the Northeast Expressway portion of US 1 (which was once part of I-95, some 43+ years ago) is longer but will not receive exit/interchange numbers.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 16, 2017, 11:57:54 AM
And yet, the Northeast Expressway portion of US 1 (which was once part of I-95, some 43+ years ago) is longer but will not receive exit/interchange numbers.

Would only make sense to have exit numbers on US 1 from the northern end of the I-93 overlap to just before Copeland Circle in Revere.  There are mostly at-grade and RIRO intersections north of there.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

PHLBOS

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 16, 2017, 07:20:04 PM

Would only make sense to have exit numbers on US 1 from the northern end of the I-93 overlap to just before Copeland Circle in Revere.
Which is the fore-mentioned Northeast Expressway.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

RobbieL2415

Quote from: bob7374 on January 16, 2017, 11:37:25 AM
Quote from: Alps on January 15, 2017, 08:56:37 PM
If I were in charge of renumbering MA highways, MA 25 would take over the MA 28 routing between Bourne and Orleans where, for the most part, signing it as an east-west highway makes the most sense, than the north-south directions it has now. (Orleans is almost directly east of Wareham, map-wise).
Tongue-in-cheek, I say call it MA 6B instead.

CapeCodder

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 13, 2017, 08:31:35 AM

Dude, you're preaching to the choir on this one.  I was just pointing out the potentially blatant hypocrisy of Cape Cod residents complaining about US 6's new interchange numbers but either ignoring or completely looking the other way regarding MA 28's new numbers (note: the latter has not yet happened and is personal speculation only).

One reason why MassDOT hasn't yet implemented its interchange number conversions statewide was indeed due to the backlash they received regarding US 6 (Mid-Cape Highway) when they unveiled plans for such during public meetings for a sign-replacement contract.

I just want to know when they will fix the BGS's and reassurance markers. At night you can't tell what route is which, as the reflectant is coming off the signs.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 17, 2017, 08:44:38 AM

Would only make sense to have exit numbers on US 1 from the northern end of the I-93 overlap to just before Copeland Circle in Revere.

Previous post said Chelsea to Danvers. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

PHLBOS

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 17, 2017, 04:26:21 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 17, 2017, 08:44:38 AM

Previous post said Chelsea to Danvers.
Such was for a sign replacement project.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: CapeCodder on January 17, 2017, 01:38:51 PM

I just want to know when they will fix the BGS's and reassurance markers. At night you can't tell what route is which, as the reflectant is coming off the signs.
Bids are scheduled to be opened on the US 6 sign replacement on Tuesday, January 24th.  As it is only a panels replacement project (no support work), new BGSes and route markers should be in by the end of this year.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jwolfer

I just dont understand how Cape Cod folks have the notion thar overhead freeway exit signs detract from historic charm... It's not like they are a legacy from colonial days.. Its a mid 20th century road..

Why not have newer easier to read signs? It would help tourism I would think. Having older outdated signage detracts from an area in my mind... 

LGMS428

bob7374

Quote from: jwolfer on January 17, 2017, 11:14:39 PM
I just dont understand how Cape Cod folks have the notion thar overhead freeway exit signs detract from historic charm... It's not like they are a legacy from colonial days.. Its a mid 20th century road..

Why not have newer easier to read signs? It would help tourism I would think. Having older outdated signage detracts from an area in my mind... 

LGMS428
I guess people on the Cape view tourists having a hard time navigating their roadways as part of the charm of the place. There will actually be fewer signs since MassDOT is combining texts for some of the auxiliary signs onto a single sign.

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on January 17, 2017, 08:33:01 PM
Quote from: CapeCodder on January 17, 2017, 01:38:51 PM

Bids are scheduled to be opened on the US 6 sign replacement on Tuesday, January 24th.  As it is only a panels replacement project (no support work), new BGSes and route markers should be in by the end of this year.
Is the contract to replace the signs in the Big Dig tunnels, due to have a winning bid announced in February, still on track? Will that be completed by the end of 2017?

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on January 18, 2017, 11:40:16 AM
Is the contract to replace the signs in the Big Dig tunnels, due to have a winning bid announced in February, still on track? Will that be completed by the end of 2017?
Bids on this project are scheduled to be opened on Tuesday, February 28th.  Note that this is not a complete sign replacement project, but an emergency repair project to change out only those signs that are damaged by vehicles hitting them.  This is the re-advertisement of an earlier project where the sole bid was ultimately rejected due to excessive price.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

vdeane

LGMS428

I would guess that it has something to do with the fact that MassDOT goes a little overboard and overheads EVERY sign, not just major junctions, interchanges with multiple ramps (such as cloverleafs), and close together interchanges like most other states.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

shadyjay

I see no problem with ground-mounted signs on a 2-lane-per-direction limited access highway. 

Every state is different, though.  Mass. is choosing to go with overheads to improve sign visibility, even if that means more inspections of supports.  Several signs on I-95 in New Hampshire are still ground-mounted, and that road is 4 lanes each way.  Connecticut is moving more and more of its signs to the ground, including some of those in urban areas such as Hartford.  Then again, some overhead supports in Connecticut date back some 40 years, and some of those signs are almost just as old. 

Was MassDOT originally planning on overheads even on the Super 2 section of the Mid Cape?  That'd be overkill for sure!

Beeper1

They probably were.  They put overheads on the Super-2 section of MA-2 between Erving and Philipston. It does look like overkill on that stretch.   

RobbieL2415

LGMS428
Tourists on the Cape act like they've forgotten how to drive.  Why can't the Cape Cod Commission invest in Cuomo signs?

roadman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 20, 2017, 01:15:05 AM

LGMS428
Tourists on the Cape act like they've forgotten how to drive.  Why can't the Cape Cod Commission invest in Cuomo signs?

MassDOT does not permit the installation of LOGO service signs on highways east of the Cape Cod Canal because of long standing objections from the Cape Cod Commission.  I could only imagine the reaction of the Commission (picture heads exploding) if they started installing Cuomo-type signs on US 6 and Route 24.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on January 20, 2017, 09:31:56 AMMassDOT does not permit the installation of LOGO service signs on highways east of the Cape Cod Canal because of long standing objections from the Cape Cod Commission.  I could only imagine the reaction of the Commission (picture heads exploding) if they started installing Cuomo-type signs on US 6 and Route 24.
I think you meant Route 28.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

RobbieL2415

Quote from: roadman on January 20, 2017, 09:31:56 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 20, 2017, 01:15:05 AM

LGMS428

MassDOT does not permit the installation of LOGO service signs on highways east of the Cape Cod Canal because of long standing objections from the Cape Cod Commission.  I could only imagine the reaction of the Commission (picture heads exploding) if they started installing Cuomo-type signs on US 6 and Route 24.
I'm not saying the have to use actual logos of places, but rather general symbols for food, attractions etc.  At least some kind of wayfinder system.  It doesn't have to be overtly flashy like the Cuomo signs tend to be.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.