What is the worst movie you have paid to see in the theatres?

Started by SteveG1988, November 04, 2011, 11:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on March 23, 2012, 07:54:38 PMMean Girls was the worst movie I've ever paid. Walked out at the very beginning too.
How do you know it was bad if you saw like a minute or two? Unless you snuck into another screen and watched another film, having paid to get in, it seems a total waste of money not to wait and see if it improves.

Thinking about poor introductions, Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy started badly, and then continued to be really bad. I'd forgotten all about it until I saw it again this weekend on TV. I'm glad when I saw it at the cinema it worked out at less than £2 (uni cinema, season ticket), rather than the £9 or whatever seeing a film now costs to see in a proper cinema without a student discount (it might be more), with London prices.

stormwatch7721

I think it was like 15 minutes or earlier into the movie. I never snuck into another screen. I thought Mean Girls was a good chick flick, but it wasn't.

texaskdog

I sure didn't enjoy Hunger Games this weekend.  Won't put it down as one of the worst though but still.

Coelacanth

Quote from: english si on March 23, 2012, 08:29:01 PM

Thinking about poor introductions, Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy started badly, and then continued to be really bad. I'd forgotten all about it until I saw it again this weekend on TV. I'm glad when I saw it at the cinema it worked out at less than £2 (uni cinema, season ticket), rather than the £9 or whatever seeing a film now costs to see in a proper cinema without a student discount (it might be more), with London prices.
I had the (for me, anyway) unique experience of being the ONLY member of the audience when I went to see this film. It was something like an 11 am showing on a Tuesday.

I agree that this movie was pretty bad, but it was actually not as bad as I'd been expecting it to be. So I was actually pleasantly surprised that it was terrible.

english si

Thinking about H2G2 - I think part of my problem is that I had read through the books, and even though I knew it would be different (as it's different in plot when in different media), the differences urked me as they were trying to make it into a rom-com. Plus being English and surrounded by geeks, it was hyped up by my friends.

And speaking of which, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 2, while not a contender for the worst film I've paid to see in the cinema, was probably the biggest disappointment I've ever seen in the cinema (though all the last 5 films were let downs, but I did actually, account for the let downs of the previous films). The problem was the screenplay - it not only didn't follow the book (which is fair enough - certainly I expected a simplification), but was operating in pretty much a completely different universe. The 'physics' of the book(s) - the rules by which things work, the cause and effect - was totally different to the final film's, which were almost in opposition. Now I expected little of the titular Hallows in the first part, because of how the story progresses, but they were irrelevant for the second part in the films (I can't recall if they are even mentioned more than once), despite being foundational for the second part of the book as an essential part of how everything works and comes together. Whoever wrote the screenplay ought to be sent to Azakaban!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.