News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Obtaining state highway maps

Started by Ian, November 03, 2009, 08:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

[Split from the symbology thread. -S.]

Where do you guys look to see the maps?
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

corco

QuoteWhere do you guys look to see the maps?

I find it most convenient to pull the maps out of my map drawer and open them up

Ian

Quote from: corco on November 03, 2009, 08:29:52 PM
QuoteWhere do you guys look to see the maps?

I find it most convenient to pull the maps out of my map drawer and open them up

Very funny, I meant are they online? Or do you order them.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

corco

QuoteQuote

Many states have them online, but some you can only get a hard copy map. For most states they are free and easily attainable, some you have to pay for (California), some are free but really hard to get without actually going to the state and picking it up. Go to the state DOT website of your choice and hunt around. Usually they're called "Official State Highway Map" or something like that, but occasionally they're called "Tourist maps" or something like that.

Scott5114

Quote from: corco on November 03, 2009, 08:52:56 PM
QuoteQuote

Many states have them online, but some you can only get a hard copy map. For most states they are free and easily attainable, some you have to pay for (California), some are free but really hard to get without actually going to the state and picking it up. Go to the state DOT website of your choice and hunt around. Usually they're called "Official State Highway Map" or something like that, but occasionally they're called "Tourist maps" or something like that.

Missouri's state welcome center in Joplin is unusually well-stocked with maps from many different states. I was able to get maps as far away as Wisconsin from them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

corco

It's really weird where you can find them sometimes. I was at a Best Western in Logan, Utah, a few months ago, and on their tourist information rack they had WA, OR, ID, UT, MT, WY, CO, NV, AZ, and NM just chilling there. I naturally grabbed one of each. They even had the new Wyoming map, which I had yet to find IN WYOMING

deathtopumpkins

I stopped at a couple welcome centers on my trip through New England recently but didn't have any luck... apparently MA will mail you a free one if you write to them first though, and I know I've found a CT one before.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

US71

I think the Bella Vista Info Center has Missouri maps. I know they have one in their window, but I've never asked... I just order on-line ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

PAHighways

PennDOT has all types of maps in PDF form here and a hard copy can be ordered here.

froggie

Most states, either through their DOT or tourism agency (or equivalent of each), have a way for you to order their state highway map.

Here's Virginia's for example, via VDOT.

hbelkins

Kentucky has its maps online and you can also order one. http://transportation/ky.gov

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on November 04, 2009, 01:10:08 PM
Kentucky has its maps online and you can also order one. http://transportation/ky.gov

Nah... we'll just chase you down at a Road Meet and shake you down for some   :-D
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mightyace

Quote from: hbelkins on November 04, 2009, 01:10:08 PM

In my own experience, I've found it relatively easy to get them at Kentucky's Welcome Centers and Rest Areas.  Some of them had this machine that contains a stack of maps, you pulled a lever and a map came out.  (Like some old time vending machines.)
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

tdindy88

Indiana has a similar device in some of their rest areas where the map are. Recently I was at the George Rogers Clark National Historic Park in Vincennes and saw that they had maps for Indiana, Illinois, and Kentucky all there.

WillWeaverRVA

Virginia also has printed city and county maps available, but they're not free and they're out of date. Fairly sure the bound atlas I have says 2001, and I bought it in 2007.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Greybear

F350

I usually use Rand McNally's Road Atlas which has all the maps I need in one book.

Scott5114

Quote from: F350 on November 09, 2009, 10:11:25 PM
I usually use Rand McNally's Road Atlas which has all the maps I need in one book.

Unfortunately it is generally badly out of date.

mightyace

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 09, 2009, 10:28:36 PM
Quote from: F350 on November 09, 2009, 10:11:25 PM

True, but if I'm traveling well-worn territory, I use it to explore options, plus it is handier.  Though I do supplement it with state maps when I can.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

F350

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 09, 2009, 10:28:36 PM

OK. I've been using their road atlas for years, and I haven't run into any issues.  I suppose there is an utopia for maps.

Scott5114

I cannot think of any errors/inaccuracies/out-of-dateness in RMcN right off the bat, but there are several listed in various threads here. The one that comes to mind is actually an instance of 'jumping the gun', wherein the latest RMcN shows the Hoover Dam Bypass freeway as complete and open, when the bridge over the Colorado hasn't even had its deck finished yet.

I personally use RMcN as a 'map of last resort' when the state doesn't furnish a map or the rare instance when it is of inferior quality to RMcN. This is not only due to the inaccuracy issues but also because of the difficulty in telling a minor state highway from a county route with the RMcN legend.

Chris

Quote from: Greybear on November 05, 2009, 03:17:07 PM
Maps of Arkansas can ordered here: http://www.arkansashighways.com/planning_research/mapping_graphics/tourist.aspx

I ordered one, I hope they ship to Europe.

Some DOT's don't allow shipping to other countries than the U.S. (or Canada), but some others do. I have state maps from ID, UT, GA, MI, IL, IN and a few others I can't remember exactly now.

Alex

The old Kick-off Page used to have a list of web sites where you could order state maps online. These links changed often though, but as others have said, usually can be found on the DOT web sites.

There are a handful of states where you cannot find maps online and are relegated to actually going to the tourist info centers to acquire one...

Scott5114

Alaska DOT&PF allows you to order maps but as far as I can tell they never ship them. I ordered one last fall and it never showed up. From what I hear others have had the same experience.

Chris

I received a State Highway map of Tennessee today in the mail  :cool:

I don't even remember that I ordered it, but I'm glad it came  :spin:

(thank you taxpayers from Tennessee)  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.