News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Alabama

Started by codyg1985, November 02, 2011, 07:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

I believe that ALDOT's gone back to using Highway Gothic as the new BGSes for exit 8 on I-565 Eastbound use it.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

codyg1985

ALDOT's construction plans still use FHWA for BGSs. The BGSs that go through their maintenance group are Clearview (like some of the recent sign replacements).
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Alex

Quote from: codyg1985 on March 26, 2015, 02:12:03 PM
ALDOT's construction plans still use FHWA for BGSs. The BGSs that go through their maintenance group are Clearview (like some of the recent sign replacements).

All of the signs on I-10 for the Baldwin Beach Express interchange were designed with Clearview. I think Cody mentioned that the I-65 replacement signs from Evergreen to Montgomery all used Clearview as well. Also new signs posted for U.S. 98 to I-65/165 for Orange Beach use Clearview as well.

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 26, 2015, 02:09:09 PM
I believe that ALDOT's gone back to using Highway Gothic as the new BGSes for exit 8 on I-565 Eastbound use it.

freebrickproductions

Makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. Especially since they just re-did that stretch of I-565 and added an extra lane.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

codyg1985

Quote from: Alex on March 26, 2015, 05:28:20 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on March 26, 2015, 02:12:03 PM

All of the signs on I-10 for the Baldwin Beach Express interchange were designed with Clearview. I think Cody mentioned that the I-65 replacement signs from Evergreen to Montgomery all used Clearview as well. Also new signs posted for U.S. 98 to I-65/165 for Orange Beach use Clearview as well.

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 26, 2015, 02:09:09 PM

Actually, the ones from Evergreen to Prattville use FHWA for some reason. The replacements up this way on I-65 in Morgan and Limestone Counties use mostly Clearview, though.
Cody Goodman

cjk374

There is apparently a project in the works that is going to require a detour of the interstate and (I'm guessing) either a state or US highway.  The signs have plywood covering them up right now...except for one.  It was on an exit ramp, and the quick glance I got of the sign it was the very 1st fractional interstate sign I have ever seen for I-20/59.  Very good looking for contractor signage.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

codyg1985

Quote from: cjk374 on April 02, 2015, 06:41:03 PM
There is apparently a project in the works that is going to require a detour of the interstate and (I'm guessing) either a state or US highway.  The signs have plywood covering them up right now...except for one.  It was on an exit ramp, and the quick glance I got of the sign it was the very 1st fractional interstate sign I have ever seen for I-20/59.  Very good looking for contractor signage.

This is in Greene County along I-20/59 I assume? I looked at the plans, and I think it is actually for one of the connecting roads at the exit instead of the interstate itself.

I saw those signs about a week ago covered up.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Cody Goodman

rcm195

Just wondering about the status of the Centerville bypass?

bdmoss88

Quote from: rcm195 on April 28, 2015, 10:15:37 PM
Just wondering about the status of the Centerville bypass?
I'm probably going through there this weekend. Definitely will be next weekend. I will update.
When we went through in March there was new stuff since Christmas; at the east end there was pavement connecting the new lanes to the old and work to straighten the curve where CR20 runs into the old 82 lanes. Don't know if old 82 will become CR20 between there and AL219 or what.

bdmoss88

I saw nothing new this weekend from when we passed through in March. Only difference was the grading they had previously done at the CR20 and old 82 was grown over with grass.

msunat97

Thanks bdmoss!

clong

Went thru and saw both ends of the Centerville bypass today. Still not open and looks like it is only missing a few guardrails (possibly) and some final paving where it ties in (that can't be done until it is opening).

bdmoss88

We went through this weekend too. A little additional work done at the current US82-CR20 intersection since we went through three weeks ago so that's a little progress.

Also a lot of grading work going on between Gordo and Reform for the four-laning of US82 there. Already some houses and old businesses torn down to make way for it so I lost my bearings a little bit with some familiar landmarks gone.

freebrickproductions

A couple of bridge projects are currently going on along US 72 and AL 20.

(They/Them)

jOnstar1979

Just wanted to know if anyone had an update on the Anniston Eastern Bypass. I would love to see some pictures if anyone is around the area.

jdb1234

Quote from: jOnstar1979 on June 01, 2015, 10:26:23 PM
Just wanted to know if anyone had an update on the Anniston Eastern Bypass. I would love to see some pictures if anyone is around the area.

Ironically, I drove the open part of it yesterday, but I did not bring my camera.

bdmoss88

Quote from: bdmoss88 on June 01, 2015, 10:59:56 AM
We went through this weekend too. A little additional work done at the current US82-CR20 intersection since we went through three weeks ago so that's a little progress.

Also a lot of grading work going on between Gordo and Reform for the four-laning of US82 there. Already some houses and old businesses torn down to make way for it so I lost my bearings a little bit with some familiar landmarks gone.
I also noticed this weekend that AL14 is routed along US82 from their intersection southwest of Prattville to I65(and, I assume, up I65 to exit 181). I don't remember that being there on previous trips.

Stephane Dumas

I spotted this video on Youtube about rethink I-20/59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeoKt5HBYbw

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 09, 2015, 08:45:32 PM
I spotted this video on Youtube about rethink I-20/59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeoKt5HBYbw

I find this video to have a very good point and even identifying a good reroute corridor.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

froggie

I came up with this a couple years ago when I first heard of the concept.

freebrickproductions

Went down to Auburn for the past three days and spotted a ton of neutered I-85 shields. Seems that Auburn is using neutered shields for some reason though Opelika and practically everywhere else is using state-name shields.
Also, I-65 in Blount County has some neutered shields. Several of them are on the main line and I spotted one on an overpass at an exit. I'll post photos in a little bit.

(They/Them)

freebrickproductions

Here are the photos of the neutered shields I saw.

First are the neutered I-85 shields. The neutered I-85 shields didn't appear outside of the city of Auburn and not all of the shields had the "to" banners above them. Just as a note, none of these photos of them were taken on the interstate itself.
To I-85 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And here are the neutered I-65 shields in Blount County that I was able to photograph:
I-65 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
I-65/US 31 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

(They/Them)

rcm195

Brother and Sister-in-Law who live in Tuscaloosa were headed on a trip to Savannah Ga. yesterday. They went through Centerville on there way to Montgomery. My sister-in-law text me to say bypass was open both ways around Centerville. She said it looked very recently.

jwolfer

Quote from: rcm195 on August 15, 2015, 10:50:38 PM
Brother and Sister-in-Law who live in Tuscaloosa were headed on a trip to Savannah Ga. yesterday. They went through Centerville on there way to Montgomery. My sister-in-law text me to say bypass was open both ways around Centerville. She said it looked very recently.
I like that she has been recruited into your roadgeekery

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.