News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

6 Laning of I-540 to Begin

Started by US71, May 08, 2012, 05:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

http://www.nwacouncil.org/2012/05/widening-i-540-to-six-lanes-starts-this-summer/

Initial plan is to widen I-540 between exits 62 (US 62 West) and 64 (AR 16 West) this Summer.  Further widening is contingent on voters approving a temporary 1/2 cents tax in November.

Now if they would only resurface I-40: it's in really sad shape.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Tomahawkin

6 Lanes is badly needed as well as intersection improvements at both exits 62 and 64.. as well as the Porter Rd intersection that one needs to be redone altogether especially around the curve and frontage roads

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on May 09, 2012, 10:24:27 AM
6 Lanes is badly needed as well as intersection improvements at both exits 62 and 64.. as well as the Porter Rd intersection that one needs to be redone altogether especially around the curve and frontage roads

Porter Road was partially redone a couple years ago, though there isn't a lot to work with. http://g.co/maps/bf5h4

It should have remained grade separated only, as it was when 71 was 2-Lanes

bassoon1986

Do you think more work will be done to help NW Arkansas' traffic problems once I-49 is at least connected from Kansas City to Fort Smith and the bypass is completed? It will probably be too little too late but with a finished freeway to the north there will be heavier traffic through there right? Although, that's what everyone uses anyway now is 71 and 540

US71

Quote from: bassoon1986 on May 09, 2012, 11:19:51 AM
Do you think more work will be done to help NW Arkansas' traffic problems once I-49 is at least connected from Kansas City to Fort Smith and the bypass is completed? It will probably be too little too late but with a finished freeway to the north there will be heavier traffic through there right? Although, that's what everyone uses anyway now is 71 and 540

It's possible, but one never knows with AHTD. They promised to keep US 71 between Alma & Fayetteville in good condition when 540 was built, but they have failed miserably at that.

The 6th Street (Martin Luther King)/540 Interchange was redone last year, but it's another case of limited room to work with.

AHTD has a long history of taking a reactive approach to traffic changes rather than taking a pro-active approach.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.