News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Alabama

Started by codyg1985, November 02, 2011, 07:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

I haven't seen a thread that contains general Alabama material outside of Mobile and Huntsville, so I am creating a thread for the rest of Alabama for smaller projects and questions.

Here is an interesting presentation that shows construction of bridges along the relocated AL 13 in Franklin County over Bear Creek: AL 13 is in the slow process of being upgraded to an expressway between Spruce Pine, AL and Eldridge, AL.

http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/eesv/T2/files/2011_conference/BRIDGES%20OVER%20BEAR%20Creek.pdf
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

ttownfeen

I didn't realize that construction of a four-lane expressway from the Shoals to I-22 was already in progress.  That's a pretty big bridge for a lake I'd never heard of before.

Why does it seem like all the highway constructions projects go to North Alabama, while the western part of is constantly left in the cold?  There's no four-lane route between Tuscaloosa and ANY other city in Alabama and Mississippi that's not an interstate. For example, US 82, which is a freeway in large parts of Mississippi, is a two-lane gauntlet between the state university town and the state capital.

NE2

That part of SR 13 has been graded for some time with construction stalled. I don't see the point - traffic headed east (Birmingham) can use SR 157 and traffic headed west can use Corridor V once that's completed. Jasper seems to be the largest city connected to Muscle Shoals by SR 13.

South Alabama's getting some construction, such as US 98 (yeah, it's taking forever) and the Georgiana bypass to complete the four lanes from Opp to I-65.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

Quote from: NE2 on November 02, 2011, 08:46:19 PM

South Alabama's getting some construction, such as US 98 (yeah, it's taking forever) and the Georgiana bypass to complete the four lanes from Opp to I-65.

They are out of money on it again, no progress has been made since 2009.  :ded:

The one project that is making progress is the Baldwin Beach Express. Money was shifted from the CR 13/I-10 interchange project for the county road. Not much else to report about in Southwest Alabama.

codyg1985

Quote from: NE2 on November 02, 2011, 08:46:19 PM
That part of SR 13 has been graded for some time with construction stalled. I don't see the point - traffic headed east (Birmingham) can use SR 157 and traffic headed west can use Corridor V once that's completed. Jasper seems to be the largest city connected to Muscle Shoals by SR 13.

AL 13 doesn't quite make it to Jasper. At Natural Bridge, AL 5 runs southeast from there to Jasper, and AL 13 runs due south to Eldridge, Berry, and Tuscaloosa. AL 5 used to continue along AL 13 north from Natural Bridge all the way to Florence, but it has since been truncated to Natural Bridge.

Haleyville, the largest city in Winston County, would be the largest city along a widened AL 13. As of now the widening isn't scheduled to happen south of US 78/I-22.

Traffic volumes along AL 13 in Fayette County are very light.
Cody Goodman

NE2

What I mean is that Jasper is the largest city that would be connected to Muscle Shoals by a four-lane that currently isn't (or won't be via Corridor V).

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

FLRoads

Found a memo from the FHWA site about the ground breaking for the Montgomery Outer Loop. The initial project will encompass 3.5 miles from Interstate 85 south to Alabama 110 and will be the first step in what is suppose to be the eventual extension of Interstate 85 through the western portions of Alabama. No date has been given for completion of the initial phase. Here is the link to the memo:

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/pressroom/fhwa1153.htm

codyg1985

^ It will still take decades to finish that road just around Montgomery at the usual rate that ALDOT moves. I guess it will take even longer with reduced federal funding. This stub by itself will not serve much purpose.
Cody Goodman

FLRoads

Indeed. They can't finish U.S. 98 near Mobile, it took forever to get the I-65/future I-22 interchange to make progress, and the approaches for the future Montgomery Outer Loop have been sitting there for how long now...?

On a separate note though, I'm wondering if they will keep it as Alabama 108 once it opens or if they will just post "Future I-85 Corridor" signs along it...

froggie

I recall seeing documentation somewhere within ALDOT about posting either the loop or the old route through town as I-685.  Wish I could remember where I found it.

Grzrd

Quote from: froggie on November 10, 2011, 07:57:54 AM
I recall seeing documentation somewhere within ALDOT about posting either the loop or the old route through town as I-685.  Wish I could remember where I found it.
Here's a link to a February 22, 2011 ALDOT release concerning the Montgomery Outer Loop as the first phase of the I-85 Extension:
http://www.dot.state.al.us/mcrweb/doc/NR/2011/2-22%20Montgomery%20Outer%20Loop.doc

" ... When completed to I-65, the Outer Loop will be designated as I-85. The portion of I-85 into downtown Montgomery will be re-designated as I-685. The Outer Loop from I-85 to I-65 covers 24 miles ..."

codyg1985

Alabama Barricade, a common signage and traffic control subcontractor that is used by ALDOT, has an interesting picture on their website: http://alabamabarricade.com/index.php

If you notice the right-hand sign assembly, then you notice that this sign could almost fit in Dothan, AL (if you replaced US 210 with Alabama 210). US 431 used to be US 241. Just thought this was interesting.
Cody Goodman

FLRoads

Drove up to Montgomery today to complete some Christmas shopping and while there decided to check out the new multiplex of Interstate 85 and U.S. 80 (as originally and briefly discussed here) out to Exit 16, as well as the initial progress of the Montgomery bypass:

Interstate 85 north and U.S. 80 east after the busy interchange of Alabama 271 (Exit 9).

Alabama 126 now uses the south frontage road (former U.S. 80) as well as the north frontage road along Interstate 85. Instead of replacing the signage at the interchange, AL 126 shields were slapped on, covering the existing U.S. 80 shield.

Trailblazers have been erected to direct eastbound U.S. 80 traffic off of Interstate 85 at Exit 16. I would assume that a future sign replacement project would entail the addition of U.S. 80 onto the sign board.

U.S. 80 east immediately departs south of Exit 16 onto its current alignment. Alabama 126 is now signed along the former stretch of U.S. 80 between Exit 11 and Exit 16.

For some reason Alabama 126 is signed as east (as also seen in the previous photo) when one is clearly traveling west...I could not figure out the reasoning for this while there, other than the maintenance crew erected the wrong directional banner. I might have to send an inquiry to ALDOT to see if this is erroneous.

Traveling south along the short Alabama 293, some initial progress is being done along the future Montgomery bypass (future AL 108/future I-85 extension). Some initial realignment of the north frontage road of Interstate 85 is also taking shape in the immediate vicinity of the proposed interchange with the bypass. I would assume once the first phase of the project is open that Alabama 293 mileage (not the number) will transfer to the new bypass and that AL 293 itself will be decommissioned.

lamsalfl

Any update on the I-10 widening west to Mile 14?  How far along is it?  Have they poured any concrete, including for the median barriers?

Grzrd

Governor Robert Bentley is proposing toll roads and a $2 billion road and bridge repair program. A bond issue would fund the $2 billion road and bridge repair program, but state officials have not figured out how to repay the debt. Tolls are proposed for the Birmingham Northern Beltline and new toll roads in south Alabama that are being planned for construction by ALDOT.

Does anyone know what toll roads are being planned by ALDOT for south Alabama?

codyg1985

Well for starters, the Birmingham Northern Beltline (BNB) is held up because of a significant environmental dispute over the routing of the road and how it affects the watershed. There was supposed to be a section to be let in December, but that obviously didn't happen. Second, the BNB is to be funded using APD funding (it is a part of Corridor X-1). Can a road still receive APD funding if it is to also be tolled?

As for other toll roads, there has been the idea thrown around for a Montgomery-Dothan-Panama City toll road and of course the West Alabama toll road.

It could be repaid from oil royalties earned from the Alabama Trust Fund, but oh wait, that measure was defeated by voters in 2010. Plus, it didn't go far enough.

I think a specific listing of projects would be good to see for both toll roads and for road/bridge repair.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Apparently ALDOT has shuffled around which counties are located in which divisions: http://cpmsweb2.dot.state.al.us/TransPlan/STIP/STIP.aspx
Cody Goodman

Grzrd

This Dec. 14 article discusses a recent public meeting about the Tuscaloosa East Bypass:

Tuscaloosa County residents on Tuesday looked at plans for the entire route of the Eastern Bypass and commented on the roadway that would loop from U.S. Highway 82 west of Northport back north and east to Interstate 59/20 east of Tuscaloosa.
Alabama Department of Transportation officials answered questions about the proposed route during a public meeting at the Northport Civic Center. Division Engineer Dee Rowe said that the state transportation department must assemble the written and verbal comments and present the environmental impact study to Federal Highway Administration for approval.
The proposed 20-mile, limited access bypass would cost an estimated $235 million and would have 11 interchanges scattered along the route. The route has drawn fire because it crosses the "M Bend"  of Hurricane Creek and would have an on impact the park that is along the creek. But proponents say the bypass is needed to relieve traffic congestion on McFarland Boulevard in Tuscaloosa and Northport ...

The environmentalists are getting ready for battle:

Sarah Stokes of the Southern Environmental Law Center said federal guidelines require documented proof that the road will have secondary benefits, like relieving traffic congestion and stimulating economic development. ALDOT has not provided that proof, she said ... Hurricane Creekkeeper John Wathen ... called the environmental study flawed. He said that there are threatened and endangered plant and animal species along Hurricane Creek.

ALDOT's Tuscaloosa East Bypass page mentions that the Comment Period ends Jan. 31 and provides contact info for getting more information about the project, in case anyone is interested:

Written comments may also be submitted by completing the comment sheet during the meeting, submitting comment sheet/comments by mail, delivering comments to the ALDOT Fifth Division address below, faxing comments to the ALDOT number below, and by e-mail to tuscaloosabypass@dot.state.al.us which will become part of the public record.  All comments must be received by 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, January 31, 2012 ... Anyone needing further information before, or after, the meeting may contact:
Ms. L. Dee Rowe, Division Engineer
Alabama Department of Transportation
P. O. Box 70070
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35407-0070
Phone: (205) 553-7030
Fax: (205) 556-0900

SSF

Quote from: lamsalfl on January 14, 2012, 12:47:32 AM
Any update on the I-10 widening west to Mile 14?  How far along is it?  Have they poured any concrete, including for the median barriers?

No median barriers yet, they have the anchor bolts for what looks to be the median wall set.  It looks to be a good 12 months away from completion to me.

rcm195

Just wondering, any updates on the US 82 project to go around Centreville?

mcdonaat

Anyone have some information on US 80 Truck route through Selma? Noticed on Street View that one shield collection had three US 80 shields at one place, two pointing along the current US 80, and one on the Truck route

codyg1985

Learned two things on a trip to Mobile over the weekend:

1) ALDOT does use shields on the pavement in the Mobile area. Most of them are around the Bankhead Tunnels: http://g.co/maps/6e9vw. I didn't know ALDOT did this anywhere.

2) ALDOT must be experimenting with painting exit numbers on the pavement. I noticed some of the exit numbers painted along I-65 around Prattville: http://g.co/maps/6bxw5
Cody Goodman

NE2

Quote from: mcdonaat on April 30, 2012, 04:56:57 AM
Anyone have some information on US 80 Truck route through Selma? Noticed on Street View that one shield collection had three US 80 shields at one place, two pointing along the current US 80, and one on the Truck route
I think it's just an alternate way of signing the bypass so trucks don't use 80 Biz.

Alex

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 14, 2012, 09:18:19 PM

1) ALDOT does use shields on the pavement in the Mobile area. Most of them are around the Bankhead Tunnels: http://g.co/maps/6e9vw. I didn't know ALDOT did this anywhere.

That is the only place I have seen them in the Mobile area, did you note them anywhere else?

I first noticed the pavement based shields in 2007:

I snapped a photo of the ones exiting the Bankhead last month:

bdmoss88

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 14, 2012, 09:18:19 PM

2) ALDOT must be experimenting with painting exit numbers on the pavement. I noticed some of the exit numbers painted along I-65 around Prattville: http://g.co/maps/6bxw5
If you scroll this just to the left of the screen shot on east bound US 82, where there is an I65 SOUTH painted on the second to right lane so you don't accidentally turn into the motel entrance just before the I65-South ramp. http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ie=UTF8&vpsrc=6&ll=32.460316,-86.390553&spn=0.000634,0.000832&z=21

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.