News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Old Maps showing dead communities

Started by mcdonaat, June 05, 2012, 04:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdonaat

Looking at an old map from the 1930's, for Grant Parish, I'm noticing a bunch of communities that are along state highways... but the highways are no more, and the communities are dead. Drove through one and houses were falling in, and it looked creepy. Anyone else found a neat community or town that doesn't exist anymore?

If anyone's ever been across the old US 165 bridge over the Little River, there used to be a town, Rochelle, that had 600 people, two schools, and a church. The whole place is empty now.

austrini

Many data providers use the GNIS database (Geographic Names Information System) and they got a lot of their placenames from old USGS maps. Often on weather reports here in DFW they'll reference a storm hitting some community that was swallowed up by sprawl decades ago, because of GNIS.

The GNIS never removes an entry unless there is obvious duplication, so they'll be there forever.
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

mcdonaat

I wouldn't say its the GNIS database... this map shows towns that existed, and at the time were actually thriving places. Still kind of neat, but creepy at the same time.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mcdonaat

Now THAT map is old! Or an imaginary map, I can't tell  :crazy:

Anyone have maps of state highways in Louisiana that have been deleted? Just curious..

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.